“Good restaurant”

Ranked #12,453 of 25,298 Restaurants in London
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

I continue to be amazed by Iranian restaurants in London. Any one of the London Persian eateries with this quality of service and food would immediately be on some "Best " list in US with people standing in line to get in.

We went to Banu because it was near our hotel and because we had not been to it before. The geography and ambiance of the restaurant is refreshingly different than all other Persian restaurants. It is located in a sleepier street. No kitschy replicas of Persepolis reliefs or modernized Persian miniatures were on the walls. There was not a single copper pot or round tray hanging from awkwardly over tables either. Instead, hotel Clarion's lounge decked with comfortable armchairs and settees and the general atmosphere of a boutique London hotel is the sitting area for this restaurant.

Service was prompt, courteous, and appropriately attentive. Natalie at the front desk was especially calm, collected and genuinely helpful to the hotel and restaurant patrons alike.

The food (jujeh, koobideh, gheimeh, shirazi salad) was amazing. Meat was tender and succulent with adequate hints of spices. The rice was perfect, not too dry and not dripping with butter.

We are certainly going back to Banu.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

I came to Banu with three other people for dinner on the weekend a few weeks ago and it was without doubt one of the most awkward and uncomfortable dining experiences I've ever had.

To start with, we arrived in what looked exactly like an afternoon tea setting in the hotel lobby. The design of the place was very ostentatious, with incredibly harsh lighting from the chandeliers above us. The 'restaurant' was empty, except for one elderly couple who were having a drink. There was no music and the room was almost silent, except for the humming of a drinks fridge at the back of the room and the low volume of the TV in the corner showing a world cup match. I would have liked to have left there and then- it was just unbelievably awkward and uncomfortable.

We were ushered to a table next to the humming drinks fridge and had a few minutes of uncomfortable silence as we all thought about what we were in for. The armchairs and tables were very low and not practical for eating at. The elderly couple left once our starters arrived and we were alone for the duration of the meal. Given it was a weekend, this was yet another red flag for me.

We made our order and hoped the food would make up for the non-existent atmosphere. I'm well acquainted with Persian food and ordered a Gheymei stew, which to my surprise arrived covered in chips- even still, it was good and traditional tasting. The chicken in the Polo Albaloo was very dry and overcooked and I believe the chef had used tinned cherries instead of fresh, which gave it an unpleasant taste.

Throughout the meal the one waiter 'working' spent the majority of his time standing in the corner and watching the football. We all ate as quickly as possible and couldn't wait to get out of there quick enough.

I had invited guests to this dinner and was so, SO embarrassed that I'd brought them here. I didn't want to write such a scathing review but the thought that somebody else could bring guests here and be as embarrassed as I was convinced me that I had an obligation to let others know.

There is honestly more atmosphere in a doctors office than at Banu. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

1  Thank Laura T
Reviewed 28 April 2018

It was an evening out where all the family came together and we were very interested in the Persian/Iranian cuisine which we never had before. We enjoyed the all experience, we had the opportunity to try different flavours and way of cooking. The atmosphere was very nice, I would say out of time, a completely different lay out and space. Very elegant and extremely homy at the same time.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We saw this place on book a table and decided to try it after a visit to the V and A because restaurants around South Kensington were very crowded. We had the mixed mezze to start with lovely light and puffy bread. Mains of slow cooked chicken and fragrant lamb stew were delicious. Very generously sized mains. Not hugely busy on a Friday night but with yummy food like this, I imagine it won’t be quiet for long.

Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

I was staying at the Colonnade hotel, and had heard good reviews about Banu, so decided to check it out - I'm glad I did! The waitress was lovely, and recommended several dishes to try. I enjoyed the marinated chicken kebab (cholo joojeh) on a bed of saffron rice. Delightful. The restaurant was clean, the staff welcoming, the food delicious. Give it a go, you'll be impressed!