“Fantastic lunch ”

Hoppers St Christopher's Place
Ranked #4,232 of 24,831 Restaurants in London
Price range: USD 10 - USD 70
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Description: Hoppers St Christopher’s Place takes it’s inspiration from the Tropical Modernist movement associated with the late Sri Lankan architect Geoffrey Bawa. The menu features a number of signature Hoppers dishes, as well as dishes created exclusively for this site and a cocktail menu created with ingredients inspired by the flora and vegetation of Sri Lanka’s spice gardens.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Lunch at hoppers was amazing. Such a variety of Sri Lankan food - many of which I had never tried. The food was delicious. It’s best to order lots of small plates and share as there is so much to try. The atmosphere was relaxing and staff very attentive. A very enjoyable lunch.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

My daughter took me here for a birthday lunch as I had wanted to visit for some time. It was a treat from start to finish and we sampled food we had never eaten before. We started with bone marrow in a curry sauce and goat stuffed roti. Both were unctuous and full of flavour. We shared a chicken curry with tomato rice and an egg hopper (which is a sort of rice paper bowl with a fried egg ). The chicken was so succulent and the gravy was spiced just right. We had a couple of Sri Lankan lagers, which complemented our meal perfectly. Our waitress explained the dishes and suggested how to order and gave us advice on portion sizes. I shall certainly come here again.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve been really keen to go here since a trip to Sri Lanka a couple years ago. Menu is broad and really interesting, decor is fresh and pleasant. Most importantly the food is incredible. We had the feast menu for lunch - impeccable - everything was special and a bit standout. Not cheap but so worth it. And even more importantly our service was spot-on. Ask for Dinesh, he is a gent - attentive, friendly and keen to make sure you have a great time.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Hoppers! Yay! We were finally going. When I saw it I was super excited with the whole decor, the fragrance of food and plates!First look at the menu and my tummy was rumbling. I couldn’t decide what to eat it all looked so good. I was bold and ordered a few vegetarian dishes. Being born and raised in India I love the flavours from the south and make some Srilankan food at home like the dhaal curry and beetroot curry etc looking up the recipes. The staff was very polite and the service quick enough. Food??? First to arrive were these warmish banana crisps coated in red powder in curry leaves and green chillies. They were crispy and there was a kick to them towards the end and I thought great this is good but wait a second I had finished half a bottle of water by then. Then comes the hoppers with cauliflower kari and some aubergine in oil. Dosa was again coated in this spicy powder on the inside and salty. Aubergine was flavour less and soaking in oil and the cauliflower kari was sweet and was super hot. The couple next to us left after their first dish and I couldn’t understand why but of course this is my opinion and my view, the food is hot with overpowering spices, heavy , oily and you cannot enjoy or even taste the flavours in the food as it is so hot killing the tastebuds. Flavours or spices didn’t go well with each other and by now I had finished 2 bottles of water. By the end of it I said to my husband if we didn’t come here again I wouldn’t regret and didn’t eat rather couldn’t eat anything after all afternoon and evening as I felt bloated. We left after paying what I thought wasn’t worth and suffering now sitting at 3:30am in the morning with acidity and trying to write a review. Mind you many Indian restaurants have this too but I didn’t expect to be so disappointed by this one. I am vegetarian and I have no clue how the meat dishes were.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We visited the St Christopher's Place branch at the Easter week-end and had a great experience. We made a reservation for 4. The table was not quite ready on our arrival but this was not a bother as our very nice and friendly waiter, Dinesh, made sure our food arrived with minutes of ordering. The food was very tasty as was the Mango slushy. The only criticism I have is that food prices were quite high, as were the drinks. The coke came in the smallest bottle I have ever seen. That said, you can't go wrong going to Hoppers for your first taste of Sri Lankan cuisine.