“Would not recommend...”

Hope and Anchor Brixton
Ranked #10,833 of 25,563 Restaurants in London
Description: Following a complete makeover that even Miley Cyrus would struggle to compete with, we’ve reopened our doors to this Brixton behemoth once more. We’ve built a pub to make Brixton proud: cocktails to write home about, a craft beer range to bring a smile to the faces of London’s hippest of hipsters and proper beer-soaking, hunger-stomping street food. Our (in)famous garden that makes Hyde Park look like a piddly village green is looking even better with Tiki Huts and an outside tequila bar, where we’ll keep the margaritas flowing all-year round.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I visited this place with a group of friends a couple of weeks ago, and overall, I was very disappointed with my visit. The location was great and I have no faults with interior of the place, very unique and modern!

However, we arrived at around 9pm on a Saturday and it took around 30 minutes to be served due to the fact that half the staff were standing around chatting and generally faffing around, there was no queue at all at the bars, staff were just chatting. I asked to order a cocktail but were told they had run out of "everything" so were not serving cocktails that evening. Funnily, the same cocktail was being served on the other side of the bar and the lady clearly was too lazy to waste her time making a cocktail. It was amusing to see that only three or so were serving (out of probably eight staff), many other customers (not just our group) were moaning about this. One of the members of the staff was doing Jagerbombs.

I waited for ages and then my friends and I went to sit down with our drinks outside. My friend then realised that her £10 gin and tonic was actually gin and cheap soda water, so we went back to the bar. The lady at the bar apologised straight away and said they had ran out of tonic so were just fobbing people off with soda water, they said that tonic was downstairs and so went down to get us some. They were very apologetic but this was another 10 minutes.

Also, never get the house white wine, it was horrendous! I would probably never go back here, which is a shame as it had a lovely setting and garden, but the service was shocking, drinks cheap and the staff even ruder.

A better experience could have been had if the bar staff were competent.

Date of visit: March 2018
2  Thank Christina R
Jennifer B, Manager at Hope and Anchor Brixton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Hi Christina,

Thank you for taking your time to leave us your valuable feedback. I’m happy to hear you share our enthusiasm with our venue, garden and our quirky interior. I’m very sorry however to hear your experience with us was not as expected in terms of service and drinks.

We take on your feedback seriously and I would love to follow up internally with the staff (many which are new starters) with regards to how you received your service. I would love for you to contact me directly on hopeandanchorevents@youngs.co.uk and I will be following up on my end with our staff to ensure the service is nothing by perfect upon your next visit!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best / Jennifer (Sales & Marketing)

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

The food was good, the burger was well done and the curly fries were great. The staff were friendly and the garden was pretty.

Date of visit: April 2018
Jennifer B, Manager at Hope and Anchor Brixton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you Chantana for leaving us your review, much appreciated! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and our food. As we just launched our new menu, we are excited for our guests to try our new additions! With the spring just arriving, the garden is really starting to bloom as we took off our winter cover last week. :) Hope to see you again soon. Best, Jennifer (Sales & Marketing)

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Came down to listen and do the roast and records. I must say this was the best home roast I’ve ever tasted. Hats of to the chef. Would definitely recommend:)

Date of visit: April 2018

Thank you Julie for leaving us your great review, much appreciated! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and our food. We take great pride in our Sunday roasts and are glad you share our enthusiasm! Hope to see you again soon. Best, Jennifer (Sales & Marketing)

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Came here last weekend with some friends and had an awesome night! Not only were the staff super friendly and helpful, but the food was to die for! I ordered the chorizo pizza and curly fries. Thoroughly recommend!

1  Thank Ciaran O

Thank you Ciaran for leaving us your five star review, much appreciated! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and our food. As we just launched our new menu, we are excited for our guests to try our new additions! Hope to see you again soon! Best, Jennifer (Sales & Marketing)

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Lovely atmosphere on a Sunday afternoon. Me and my partner enjoyed delicious roast dinners and shared a bottle of their Malbec. Neither of us could fault anything. Amazing food, drinks, atmosphere and customer service! Definitely worth a visit!!

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Nicole W

Thank you Nicole for leaving us your great five star review! Happy to hear that you share our enthusiasm for our atmosphere, staff and our Sunday roasts! Hope to see you again soon. :) Best, Jennifer (Sales & Marketing)