“Wonderful lunch”

The Ivy St John's Wood
Ranked #3,576 of 24,988 Restaurants in London
Price range: USD 33 - USD 59
Description: The Ivy Cafe, St John's Wood is an exciting addition to the sophisticated North London neighbourhood: a relaxed yet stylish dining experience offering an accessible all-day menu in a friendly, neighbourly environment.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

What a lovely place.
Went here for a birthday lunch and was not disappointed.
Had set lunch menu and was just perfect crab starter, mushroom risotto and chocolate mousse for dessert followed by the best coffee I have had in a very long time.
Silvia was the sweetest waitress ever looking forward to going back soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

First we were surprised to get a table on Good Friday and were delighted with the bohemian feel of the restaurant. It had a great atmosphere. It reminded us of a Cubist styled restaurant. The service was good, the cocktails were excellent. I chose asparagus with a hollandaise sauce and my husband a tomato and vegetable broth. Both could have been warmer (waiting for service)? And my Asparagus almost raw. A couple next to us had the fish and chips which looked fabulous. We ordered the Shepherds Pie and the Blackened Cod with mixed peas as a side. Both were excellent. I would recommend them.

Looking at other reviews, clearly cooling food is an issue, and in an area where they have little competition of an evening but plenty of well off customers, I would not expect to see empty tables. The restaurant is handy for Lords Cricket Ground, two private hospitals and Abbey Road. They could do better.

The 15% service charge is too high and not worth it. I would go back to try their afternoon tea.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Interesting menu, pity the kitchen cannot execute it. Got off to a bad start when told that the Pinot Grigio we ordered hadn't arrived (!) which was annoying as the restaurant offered very few white wines by the glass. My friends orders of suet pudding, roast salmon and fishcake were acceptable but my fish and chips was dreadful, the batter was very thick, soggy and undercooked and the fish content minimal; the "thick cut" chips weren't and looked and tasted as though they had been reheated. I brought this to the attention of a manager, who was bit offhand, especially when I told him to remove the item from the bill. My wife chose her main and desert from the set lunchtime menu but later we found that we had been charged the a la carte price of her crème brulee. Our waiter was clearly bored and a smile was definitely beyond the call of duty, even for a service charge of 12.5%!!
All in all, underwhelming and overpriced - we won't be going back.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

2 servings of the Aromatic Duck Curry arrived somewhat less than hot, were sent back and a re-order was offered. The second 2 arrived so piping hot on hot plates that the waiter had to use a protective cloth to bring them to the table. If they can do that the second time, why not the first? We did not have starters so there should have been no delay from kitchen to table. They have adopted the habit and practice of having one (sub) waiter bring the food on a tray from the kitchen, who then has to wait while someone else brings it from the tray to the table - shouldn't the two servers involved arrive together?
Also, when will waiting staff learn not to lean across the table and in front of people having a conversation in order to remove items on the table or to refill glasses or serve drinks or meals. At worst it is so rude and at best so unnecessary when there is plenty of room between tables as there is in this particulr restaurant. Very slipshod and needs attention.

1  Thank Martin E
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to this restaurant before and had a guest who was keen to have brunch here. We both were disappointed, first of all we have to wait so much for the waiter to come to our table, I like to add this was a Monday morning and the restaurant was not full. After I ordered the waiter said, they can not make omelet or any of the English and veggie breakfast or the avocado and eggs! I understand that sometimes a few dishes are not available, but when we have been handed the menu, we should have been told and not at the time of ordering. also our drink arrived too late, almost with our breakfast. my friend asked for maple syrup for her pancakes, she has to ask twice and finally when she had almost all of pancakes, she received the syrup.
Such a shame, because it’s a beautiful restaurant, but improving the service is essential, and I like to add there were so many waiter on the floor.