“Spectacular ”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: The huge sparkling Chihuly light sculpture and grand art deco of the Foyer transforms this Mayfair restaurant into a magical dining space, whilst the inviting banquettes of the Reading Room allow for more intimate dining. Frequented by famous faces for over a hundred years, it's the perfect venue for a light meal, sipping cocktails and the best afternoon tea in London.
Reviewed 13 December 2020 via mobile

We had a wonderful time. The sandwiches were amazing and so was the Christmas pudding, cakes and the hot chocolate!!!! We had two vegan and one vegetarian options and they made a huge effort. When we left they gave my son a lovely bear with his name embroidered on it and we got some marmalade and a Christmas cake to take away. Never rushed and we sat for over three hours. It was little busy but the staff were all wearing masks and unbelievably nice and sweet.

Date of visit: December 2020
3  Thank keely027
Jim_P_Lyons, Hotel Manager at The Foyer At Claridge's, responded to this reviewResponded 4 days ago

Dear keely027,

Thank you sharing such kind comments following your Festive Afternoon Tea experience.

I was delighted to read that you have thoroughly enjoyed the pudding, cake and hot chocolate and vegan/vegetarian offering together with the Claridge's teddy bear for your son.

I will of course share your wonderful feedback with the team. We are most grateful that you have chosen Claridge's for your special occasion.

Hotel Manager

Write a reviewReviews (2,442)

Reviewed 8 December 2020

There was the London philharmonic Orchestra playing during our visit and the most amazing Christmas tree!

Date of visit: December 2020
1  Thank tommallett9114

Dear tommallett9114,

Thank you sharing such kind comments following your experience.

I was delighted to read that you have thoroughly enjoyed the London Philharmonic and McQueen's Christmas Tree.

Reviewed 28 November 2020

I already visited the Foyer several times since 7 years and found the whole experience absolutely amazing each time and this last visit was no exception.

I am normally a solo traveller and worry about going to places on my own as you normally get placed in a forgotten corner and made to feel conspicuous with the lack of guests at your table. The Foyer and staff have the ability to make this not happen and I always appreciate that.

It was my birthday and on a visit to London to celebrate so I decided to visit for afternoon tea and as normal was blown away by the experience. Glenn is the restaurant director of the Foyer and is a huge part of the establishment. He continues to be professional, friendly, attentive and has an extraordinary ability to move around tables talking to guests and making them all feel special.

I felt safe within the dining room with current Covid guidance. Staff wore masks as did guests of moving around. Hand sanitiser at every table and I felt the tables were nice spread out. The teas were all great and the choice of finger sandwiches was lovely. The freshly baked scones with Cornish Clotted cream are the best. The selection of sweet pastries arrives at the table and it almost too good to eat.

All of the staff are tremendous and my table was served mainly by Michael who originates from Italy. What a lovely fellow....friendly, caring and keen to do his best as he serves the table. It was also so lovely to meet Luke again who has been part of the Claridges team since my first visit many years ago. These guys make The Foyer feel like part of my family. S special thank you to the two beautiful ladies providing our musical entertainment.....so nice to hear Amazing Grace being played so well.

Well done guys and keep up the hard work in such uncertain times.

Date of visit: November 2020
3  Thank 709,913

Dear 709913,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Claridge's.

I was delighted to read that you have thoroughly enjoyed our lovely scones with Cornish clotted cream and the pastries offering during your visit.

I will of course share your wonderful feedback with Glenn, Michael and Luke.

We are most grateful that you have chosen Claridge's for your special birthday celebration.

Reviewed 4 November 2020

In the middle of a pandemic, the only difference to business as usual in the Claridge's Foyer and Reading Room was that the waiters were wearing masks. The place was crowded, no social distancing, no hand sanitizer offered at the table, parties of various sizes, no "rule of six", patrons walking around without face coverings, etc. In addition to our safety concerns, the afternoon tea itself was an underwhelming experience. We waited more than 30 minutes over our lukewarm tea to receive a plate of bland sandwiches. I would have added salt for at least some taste but there was none on the table and waiters were not easy to get hold of as the place was clearly understaffed. After another long wait, we were presented with two miniature scones and four tiny and unremarkable pastries. This experience in a crowded, noisy, apparently not covid-secure, and cold (that is, unheated) environment cost about £70 pp. I am rather generously giving two stars for our visit because the waiting staff were pleasant and the architecture of the venue was impressive. There is little else I could recommend.

Date of visit: October 2020
3  Thank Zazi411

Dear Zazi411,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your feedback following your visit for afternoon tea.

I am of course concerned to read that your food, beverage and service and overall experience was not to the level one would expect when visiting Claridge's.

I will most certainly be sharing with my colleagues into ensure we are acknowledging shortfalls appropriately.

I would very much like to have further correspondence with you, please reach out to myself directly on jlyons@claridges.co.uk

Reviewed 24 October 2020

Of course this comes with a price tag but how many times do we go to places where we still pay a significant amount for low quality and tell ourselves that we better treat ourselves to something nicer next time? This place is definitely worth it - I rather go here once than to some other establishments more frequently which are a true rip off compared to this!

Date of visit: September 2020