“Total Satisfaction”
Review of Ormer Mayfair

Ormer Mayfair
Reserve with OpenTable
Ormer Mayfair is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 25,561 Restaurants in London
Price range: USD 33 - USD 51
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: This stunning art deco inspired interior of the restaurant, located in the heart of Mayfair, is awash with 1930s glamour with leather banquette seating, dark oak wall panelling and hand-crafted chevron glass screens. Inspiration for the food comes from Rankin's acclaimed Jersey restaurant that has held a Michelin star since 2013.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Two night stay in London and Ormer was the restaurant of choice.

We have been to Shaun’s restaurant in Jersey well over a dozen times, and this one just twice before.

Every visit the food is consistently superb with service to match.

The previous night we visited a 2 Michelin star restaurant, and although the restaurant itself was amazing, the tastes and flavours that Shaun produces are way ahead of the previous nights experience.

I go for the Lobster Ravioli and the Turbot. Both dishes are quite simply my favourite dishes anywhere. They are consistent and nothing I have anywhere else compares with these.

Absolutely gutted Shaun has left Ormer in Jersey, it gives us two evenings to fill when we go over there that no other restaurant can compete with. Luckily he is in London, and luckily those two dishes are still on the menu.

Good luck Shaun with whatever path you decide to take

1  Thank Rob1742

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Can I say this? I don’t mean to, but I’m sorry to disappoint. I’m an average 8.5 stone, Mr me is around 9.5 stone. We were looking forward to treating our friends to the experience that is Ormer.
The welcome was very warm, service was attentive, our guests suitably wowed by the ambience and style of the restaurant, fab wines, the food perfectly delicious - but since our last visit, portions were smaller. Between the slightly long time between courses, we consoled ourselves with 3 portions of warm delicious bread.
Perhaps it was the vegetarian set menu we had? Less filling than meat could be? For me: Bread followed by a ladleful of exquisite carrot soup followed by bread followed by 3 pieces of exquisite gnocchi followed by bread followed by an exquisite - and satisfying - parfait. Plates were scraped clean, bread basket was emptied.

2  Thank hello-fruity
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Everything started well, with nice cocktails in the bar and the ambience was good.
We went through and sat at the table and ordered the tasting menu with the prestige wines, after which the problems started!
Got served our first wines after about 15 mins..... after a further 25 still no food! Maitre D came over and said food will be out in 30 secs... after 10 mins first food arrived!
Beetroot , Tuna, beef tartare and artichoke veloute courses were all nice. Then it went down hill... Turbot overcooked and overpowered. Lamb tough and flavourless.
Dessert then came out with no wines. Wines arrived after the dessert and, due to the issues we had, we had an extra wine as they were giving us a complimentary dessert, however, they’d boxed the dessert to take away! Service was a complete fiasco and timings terrible.
The restaurant spent more time singing happy birthday to tables than they did concentrating on service.
Incredibly poor experience for a high end establishment. We will not be returning!

1  Thank PJEColchester
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We booked Ormer at The Fleming Hotel for our companies Christmas lunch.
From the moment we walked in, nothing was too much for the staff. We took a seat in the bar, while we waited for other members of our team to arrive. We ordered cocktails from the extensive list, which all seemed amazing and from what we had, all tasted great.
When we had all gathered, we were seated at the table having 4 courses of the most amazingly mouth watering, fabulous and beautifully prepared food. We were in the restaurant a good few hours and way over our allotted time for the lunchtime service but unlike some restaurants we had been too, there was no rushing you they even allowed us to order more coffee and drinks while they set up for dinner service. Never making us feel like any of our requested were too much.
We moved back into the bar, where the service continued as before.
I can't recommend Ormer enough for a perfect fine dinning experience.
Service 5*
Food 5*
Value 5*
Thank you to all the staff for making our companies Christmas lunch memorable or all the right reasons.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

All the excellent reviews for Ormer can't be wrong, so it's with a heavy heart that I must mark it down a notch.
The service, both in the bar and restaurant, was beyond criticism. The most professional, knowledgeable whilst friendly staff I've ever experienced. Brilliant.
The food also had moments of brilliance. My duck main course, my wife's crab starter, for example. Both top class cooking.
But, frankly, the amuse bouche cone with lemony something filling was plain weird. And someone had been heavy handed with the soy sauce on the lobster ravioli making the dish rather bitter and salty.
But the biggest surprise was 'Shaun Rankin's treacle tart'. It was over-cooked, hard, dry and tasteless. Such a shame.
So, with these criticisms in mind, why have I given Ormer a 'very good' rating? Well, the overall evening was wonderful. The food, on the whole was excellent. The wines were fabulous and not stupidly priced and our party had a ball. And yes...I'd readily go again on the basis that these flaws were an oversight.
So, please forgive me for mentioning them in a review rather than at the time. We weren't paying, which makes it hard to raise such issues.

1  Thank TonyBPopo