“Basement oasis”

Price range: USD 15 - USD 42
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Knightsbridge
Description: The Metro Restaurant and Bar is often referred to as a Knightsbridge hidden gem. The Restaurant is a haven away from the busy pace around Harrods, Harvey Nichols and the shops surrounding Basil Street. Open from 7:30am until late each day, The Metro serves breakfast, lunch, afternoon teas and dinner. Our ever revolving menu has a selection of grazing plates to share as well as classic British favourites such as fish & chips, shepherd's pie and double baked souffle. The open kitchen adds to the informal atmosphere and focuses on using seasonal English produce. Enjoy Happy Hour every week day between 5-7pm; two glasses of house wine and a bowl of nachos £8.00 See our Set Menu; 2 courses for £14.00 or 3 for £18.00 Opening hours: Mon-Sat 7.30am - 10pm, Sun 7.30am - 5pm. Private hire up to 40 available.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The Knightsbridge Metro is the all-day diner in the basement of the Levin luxury boutique hotel in Basil Street, Knightsbridge, just off Sloane Street and behind Harrods. It serves a fairly compact menu in an oasis of quiet, which is one advantage of being below ground level, cutting out all the cacophony of the area's busy shopping streets. On offer for starters are Vegetable soup, Hummus with olives and crusty bread, and Chicken terrine with pickles and chutney. This last proved to be a good choice, a dense slab of the pate with a rich flavour. Our other starter was one of the salads, the Marinated beetroot, goat's cheese, apple, walnuts and rocket leaves - a very nice mixture of ingredients. Other salads include the Chicken Caesar and the Cured salmon salad. Main courses offer Fish & chips with crushed peas, a Cornish beef burger, and Spinach, blue cheese and red onion in a frittata omelette with a house salad. We chose the Minute sirloin steak with watercress, tomato and French fries, or you could have it with green vegetables. It was a good cut of meat cooked just right. We would also recommend the Chicken & leek pie, a piping hot pot of delicious pieces of the meat with chunks of the vegetable in a very tasty gravy, the whole topped off with an arc of crisp flaky pastry. Accompanied by new potatoes, broccoli and green beans, it made a very good and traditional English dish. The room itself is small but inviting and the service friendly and helpful. It is certainly a good place for a very quiet and intimate meal down under.

Sharon M, Food & Beverage Manager at The Knightsbridge Metro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review. I am so pleased to read that your recent visit to The Metro was so excellent and that you enjoyed all of the dishes served. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Sharon

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Very pleasant and professional staff from manageress in grey suit to lovely polish waitress Martha I think.
The menu is small but the quality is there .
I had a lovely cesar salad and steak and chips.
My friend enjoyed the soup and fish and chips.
We were given a very good white wine that was chosen for us by our waitress .
I hope they change their menu regularly so that we guests can come back regularly without getting bored by menu.

All in all a nice place to have a meal with friend without any fuss.
Looking forward to coming back.

Sharon M, Manager at The Knightsbridge Metro, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Thank you for this lovely review. I am delighted to hear that your recent meal at The Metro was so pleasant and that you enjoyed all of the dishes served. We are currently working on an updated menu which we hope you will sample on a visit in the near future.

Sharon
Food & Beverage Manager

Reviewed 3 November 2017

I had breakfast there which was part of the hotel package. The food choices were surprising abundant provided that it's named as continental which I only expected some bread with drinks.... Fruit salad was fresh and fabulous, needless to mention about its cheese and charcuterie. Service was nice too, the waitress (sorry that I forgot her name) tailored made my fruit salad after she learnt about my food restrictions.

Kate_Levin2016, General Manager at The Knightsbridge Metro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Thank you for this lovely review. I am delighted that you found the choice available for breakfast to be so abundant and that you particularly enjoyed the fruit salad, cheese & charcuterie. It is also wonderful to hear that the service provided was of such a high standard.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Had lunch with friends, good food and reasonable prices!

Very close to Harrods, the waiter was very friendly and made us feel comfortable.

I ordered fish and chips for my first day in London, it was awesome!

Kate_Levin2016, General Manager at The Knightsbridge Metro, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Thank you for this kind review. I am so pleased to read that you had such a lovely experience at The Knightsbridge Metro and that you enjoyed your fish and chips. I am also delighted that the service provided was so friendly and you were made to feel so comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to London.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

We got an offer via the Capital hotel otherwise we would not have thought of it. It is small and the menu not extensive but good choice. We, like others, had fish and chips for lunch. Our offer made it outstanding value. Mid range at normal prices. We will return. Place is very clean and the staff very friendly. Service was quick and efficient.

Kate_Levin2016, General Manager at The Knightsbridge Metro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am so pleased you discovered The Knightsbridge Metro on your recent stay at The Capital and enjoyed the fish and chips, they really are great value. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to the hotel.

Kind Regards,
Kate

Been to The Knightsbridge Metro? Share your experiences!