“Nice but......”

Ranked #783 of 1,935 Restaurants in Liverpool
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 March 2017

I hadn't been here for many years, and walking in it looked warm and modern.

We went for the early bird menu, which is pretty good value, and chose Salt and pepper Crispy Chicken Fillets with sweet Chilli sauce and the BBQ Ribs as starters

The great big, full, bowl of large ribs were covered - nay smothered - in loads of rich looking BBQ Sauce. However the Ribs were lacking something - oh yes, Meat! Loads of large ribs but mostly bone! Maybe just unlucky and I can imagine them to be a lovely starter with the right ribs, and the BBQ sauce was tasty.

The Small portion (compared to the ribs) of Small Chicken Fillets were well seasoned but completely dry. I couldn't help thinking they might have been pre-cooked and then cooked again. Being so dry made the meat almost tasteless I'm afraid.

The main courses were much better. The Sunday Roast was pleasant, plentiful and well cooked. The Pork Chop was a beautiful cut of meat, if a little plain, although the tasty mash and gravy were good.

Service was pleasant, but without smiles - I like smiles! - and there was a feeling, when speaking to staff, there was a slight disconnect between the restaurant and the customers.

So, to my Nice, but ....comment

Maybe it was the mix of very good and very average food. Maybe the service. Maybe the girl singing and the absolutely ridiculously loud music BLASTING out (it was difficult to have a conversation across the table), while couples and larger groups were dining.

Maybe it was ........Oh I don't know, I just don't know, it just felt a bit .....odd

For the money, the food was OK, surroundings were nice and staff were there!

I think I'll have to give it another go, just to see.........

Reviewed 10 March 2017 via mobile

Went on a Saturday night with my boyfriend. We arrived at 7 with no advance booking but you usually don't need one. Seated quickly and drinks order taken. I got a glass of white wine and my boyfriend opted for a beer. Waited around 20 minutes for starters but as we were chatting we didn't mind. My boyfriend orders the ribs which he said we're delicious, I opted from the crab and avocado salad, small amount of crab and the salad tasted quite gritty, like it hadn't been washed before serving. Waitress cleaned plates and empty glasses but didn't bother asking about more drinks. When she bought mains over I asked for another round of drinks only to be ignored, my boyfriend asked and she smiled politely at him and got them straight away. This continued for the entire meal, my main course of seabass and risotto was practically threw at me, I felt like throwing it am back as fish was overdone and risotto was mush. Boyfriend again received his with a sickly sweet smile, he enjoyed his steak but Said it could have done with a minute or two less cooking. We didn't bother with desserts because quite frankly I couldn't wait to get out of there. Jalons used to be one of my favourite restaurants but now is just a major disappointment.

Reviewed 1 March 2017 via mobile

After enquiring about a vegan option and changing our venue to Jalons we were provided with options of seafood. After a very kind and resourceful waitress the vegan was fed with tomato on bread??? The rest of the diners remained and ate dishes that have been eaten in the past. Usually these dishes of lamb and steak are completely satisfying and deliciously flavoured. Tonight the food can be utterly described and bland. Jalons is somewhere that we have eaten regularly in the past and have recommended other diners to. Tonight will unfortunately be our last time. Even though we shared our issues, we were not compensated and left very disappointed by the family birthday meal we were so looking forward to!

Reviewed 29 January 2017

Despite living in the area for the last few years, I had never previously been to Jalons before I was invited to a birthday meal there. With around 90 guests in the venue, I thought Jalons staff delivered a very good service overall.

The set 2-course meal was well presented and tasted pretty nice too. I had the chicken pate to start which I would thoroughly recommend and chicken wrapped in bacon for main course (also very pleasant). Some of my friends opted for the pork dish and would perhaps have liked some crackling to complement the meal. However, if that's the biggest fault, Jalons must be doing something right!

Thanks for a lovely evening.

Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

Having not visited Jallons for a number of years I am so sorry to say I will not be visiting again in the near future
This is well overdue a refurbishment
££ should be available for this
Toilets are a disgrace
Selection of the one was also poor
So sorry a once good place is now well in decline
So many 5* places to visit in Liverpool