“Still the best Hot & Sour soup in Liverpool!”
Review of Hard Wok Cafe

Hard Wok Cafe
Ranked #622 of 1,960 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 26 May 2017

I haven't visited the Hard Wok Cafe in almost a year, due to rarely ever being in that part of town, but decided to pop in last night after a day out shopping. I remembered how good their hot and sour soup was and I literally couldn't get it out of my mind all day. Thankfully, it was as good as ever and totally justified the anticipation! My partner ordered the salt and pepper squid for his main course, which was delicious and delivered in very generous portion, and I had the pigs intestines in a hot and spicy sauce with boiled rice, which was also excellent.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

This is unpretentious cafe a stone's throw from the 'bombed out church' at the top of Bold Street is well worth a visit if a a more adventurous Chinese meal is something you're after without having to spend too much. Laminated tables and menus and a largely Chinese customer base gives you an idea that the food here is authentically Chinese in every way. Although having been here before for their plated rice/noodle dishes which are often generous in size, we decided to give the 'Chinese Hot Pot' experience a go on this occasion.
We were given lots of help by the waitress in choosing the ingredients to cook at our table in the simmering stocks. The amount brought to our table was considerably more than what we expected and was a positive experience all 'round. If you want a bit of a change, this is a good place to try, the loo I was informed wasn't 'that great'.... didn't need to use on this occasion.

Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

My wife and I went in here just because we were passing, we ordered basic stuff a chicken fried rice a soft noodles for me and a sweet and sour chicken for my wife, waitress was very good but the place needs a bit of a spruce up, it looks tired, the food was ok and I'd probably go back

Reviewed 21 September 2016

This place has some authentic dishes, but they have to work on their cleanliness, decor and toilets.

Reviewed 4 August 2016

I went with a colleague who is fairly knowledgeable about Chinese food and he ordered some unusual dishes. I really enjoyed the chilly cucumber salad though too oily, but some of the dumplings contained grizzly meat. Probably quick, but maybe not the best for quality.