“Another great meal”

Hard Wok Cafe
Ranked #747 of 1,992 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 14 July 2016

Came in for an early evening meal on a Wednesday night. The restaurant was very quiet, with only one other table occupied whilst we were there, but that didn't really bother us.

We ordered a selection of dishes and boiled rice to share. The salt and pepper squid, beef in black pepper sauce, and steamed eggs with minced pork were all delicious, and the hot and sour soup tasty as ever. As usual, the portions were very generous (we actually could have made do with one less dish). Overall, excellent value for money. The one waitress on duty was very polite and friendly but service overall is quite basic.

They have two menus, one of which is very authentic and full of interesting items (all translated into English in case anyone wants to try something different) - I will make sure to try more items from that menu next time, but I'd definitely have to go with someone with more adventurous taste buds than my partner!

Date of visit: July 2016

Reviewed 10 March 2016

Basic canteen type cafe - formica tables, cash only, but the food is amazing! I have not tasted real Chinese food like this since the 60s when Cantonese became the norm.
Give it a try - you won't be disappointed. Full of Chinese diners too.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 21 February 2016 via mobile

Well, we didn't know what to expect TBH. The place was full of Chinese, and I mean full, my wife and I were he only westerners in there. But as people say "You can tell if it's a good Chinese, if there are Chinese people in there" he place is set out like a cafe, which is good for us. We were given a menu (English) but everyone else had Chinese menus, and seemed to be eating stuff that we could not find on our menu. There were a couple on the next table who had a hot plate with two different soups bubbling in it and the biggest plates of meat/fish and vegetables I had ever seen in a restaurant.

We asked what it wasting were told it was Chinese hot pot, so we ordered it.

We were given a menu, and first you chose your soups, then your fish and meat, you can have as many as you want out of s choice of around 20" but th more different one you order, the less of that particular item you get. They give you enough to fill a large tray. He same went for the Veg, and you could also chose from 5 or six accompaniments too, have you all if you chose.

The food came and the meats and fish were uncooked but sliced really thinly. And the idea was you cook them in your soup and eats out of small bowls.

It was a fantastic tasty and dare I say health meal, and very much enjoyed.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 23 November 2015

Plain formica tables and chairs. Clean and accessible.

Two adults, each had a chicken dish, one with egg fried rice, the other with fried noodles. Excellent flavours. This place does the anglo version of Chinese and the Chinese version. Lots of young people having crock pots, whilst we had shezuan and Kung Po sauces.

As the rice and noodles arrived first, I did wonder if it was going to be a traditional service,of dishes arriving separetly, but they did arrive together.

Portion sizes are generous, and there's a fridge of drinks, but as they aren't listed on the menu, we'd asked for a glass of water. I suspect you'll need to ask about drink.

Date of visit: November 2015
1  Thank L0Ver_Of_Ch0c0late
Reviewed 4 November 2015 via mobile

Basic cafe setting as casual as you like, a menu of exciting options (no sweet and sour here) but just a gutfilling bowl of delicious offerings with noodles and rice. Bottle beer only but hey we were on an outing and had already had our fill before catching the evening train home. It may not look much but you will be mighty impressed.

Date of visit: November 2015