“NO MEAT”

Price range: USD 8 - USD 15
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Speke Boulevard. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Liverpool’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

If you look back through my reviews it is very rare that I give a bad review . We visited this Toby carvery on a Saturday night at 8pm ( surely one of the busiest trading times of the week) to be told they had ran out of meat ! I mean a carvery that has ran out of meat , its like a bar running out of beer ?? If they run out of meat surely they should be offering a range of products they can quickly cook off like a steak or a burger menu to fill in for these times. So unfortunately we did not eat there along with about 20 other people that also walked away . When I pointed this out to their head office I received a waffley explanation from their head office about the time it takes to slow cook their meat etc etc . The next day was Mothering Sunday so surely the place was stocked up with meat and any meat left over would of been used up on Sunday . We didn't eat here and won't be in the future !

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery - Speke Boulevard, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Sue, it's upsetting to hear that you did not receive the top-notch service we strive to provide. As you said it was a busy period for us in the restaurant ( a lot busier that expected ) and you was explained to you in your email from us in the first instance as our meat takes over 6 hours if we do get busier later on in afternoon then it is the case unfortunately it is too late to load more meat so we do run out.

We have improved significantly since this occasion which was over a month ago to stop instances like this. We refrain from holding meat over the next day as it impairs the quality of the meat.

Thank you for leaving feedback.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We went to TC as a family several times. Choice of meats and sides is really good. Prices are reasonable. We enjoyed it a lot. Would definitely go back again.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery - Speke Boulevard, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Hi Ruth A, thank you so much for your positive comments about Toby Carvery Speke Boulevard! We are so pleased that you received excellent service and food quality. We aim to deliver this to all our guests. Thank you again for leaving us this response!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We called at the Toby for food prior to collecting friends from John Lennon Airport, staff very friendly and attentive, food was hot compared to other Carvery outlets we have been to, I would recommend if your wanting food at a reasonable price.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery - Speke Boulevard, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Nikki W, we're glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and the standards that you received was of a high standard compared to other Toby Carvery you have visited. We always try and exceed our guests expectations when they dine with us. I will pass that lovely messages of gratitude to my team in regards to their service. Thanks again.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

It happens that I experienced this restaurant on 2 separate visits only 2 days apart on a recent trip to Liverpool. I left a separate review about my hotel experience - which was related because this Toby Carvery happens to be one of the very few restaurants within a short distance of the hotel. In any other circumstances this wouldn't have been my first choice.

I first visited on a quiet Thursday evening, being one of the last customers to arrive - so I understood immediately why they close at 10pm. It's quite remote during the evening. Nevertheless, the full choice of carvery was still available. I had always thought of Toby as being a pub/restaurant, but as a pub it was very disappointing. The choice of beers/lagers was very limited, and overpriced in my view (and don't give me the same old spiel that you price drinks according to what other establishments in the area are charging - you're not in that category).

Now to the food. The starters can only be described as minimal, and very poor options in my view. Nevertheless, I opted for the Creamy Mushrooms They were OK, though hardly required a serving spoon (see picture). The main course carvery was good, with plenty of veg, but really very dry due to the lateness of the hour. Too late to replenish and dried out under the heat lamps - but still edible (see picture). Given the hype, the Yorkshire pudding did not live up to expectations, however. It was positively rusk-like, tough and an effort to consume, which was a shame as I'm sure it was nice when fresh.

This experience was somewhat ameliorated by my second visit when I came for breakfast with my colleague on Saturday morning. Conversely, on this occasion we were the first ones to arrive shortly after 8am and had free run of the buffet. This really was excellent, with a help-yourself breakfast and unlimited tea & coffee. Choice and quality were great and this is the only reason why I am rating this restaurant as good.

What puzzles me was the Toby Carvery's 'famous' Yorkshire pudding making an appearance at breakfast. Is this a northern thing, which I as a Londoner would not be privy to - or is it simply a marketing ploy perpetrated by Toby Carvery? Answers on a postcard please.

We appreciate your positive review about your recent experiences with us! As you commented our Toby is a little unique in its building as we are a retail site box which we believe gives a more homely atmosphere. I am sorry that the food you received on the first occasion was not up to standards. We believe our guest should receive the same quality of food when we open to when we close so am a little disappointed that you did not but again still pleased you enjoyed your food especially the breakfast you ordered. We are focusing on breakfast as a brand so a positive viewpoint of this is really appreciated. We do serve Yorkshire pudding for breakfast but with an twist. We include bacon and onion in our breakfast Yorkshire ! We hope you tried and enjoyed them! Hope to see you again soon when you return to Liverpool :)

Reviewed 18 March 2018

Atmosphere not good staff looked liked they didn’t want to be there food passable management seemed to be abrupt when talking to them don’t think I’ll return

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery - Speke Boulevard, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

794sally, we regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, this is the first time in a long time a negative comment has been made about service or atmosphere within our restaurant so I am extremely disappointed that you feel this way. I will be addressing this matter with the persons on a shift that day. Thank you for bring this to my attention. Regards