All reviewsshared bathroombreakfast roomboiled eggsself servicesteep hillegg boiling machineyogurtcontinental styleproper coffeeshort cutmodern bathroomtop floora lovely place to stayvisit lincoln againa great stayfantastic locationhigh street
Reviewed 29 December 2017

The access to the parking area is so steep and narrow, almost blew our clutch so not a good start to our break. Lovely old house but entrance hall not warming at all. Staff lovely and very accommodating but bedroom basic to say the least. Breakfast so disappointing, boil your own eggs and toast your own toast with basic bread, jams, cereal and yogurt. Second morning we just didn't bother. I have to say location was good and Lincoln is stunning.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jane c
czimmerl, Owner at The Poplars, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2018

Hi Jane thanks for your review, albeit a bit negative, you chose the cheapest room in the area. ( that said the rooms are comfortable and clean) and we do have more expensive rooms as well. The hall way is pleasantly heated to pass through and all rooms can be heated or cooled to your satisfaction with state of the art heating. We are looking at next year having a paid for breakfast upgrade although I wouldn't call Marks and Spencer's bakery basic. Re your clutch, it's a very short drive which we have transit vans up, so to blame it rather than your driving skills is a little less than fair.

Reviewed 11 December 2017

Good location for visiting the cathedral. When I tell people I was sharing a bathroom (with no separate toilet) with six men they ask me if I got the wrong hostel. That's before I tell them I paid £80 per night for each of four nights. The do-it-yourself so-called continental breakfast had no croissants, cold cuts, cheese, cake or whatever you might expect from 'the continent'. One morning I was last down (at 830) and there was no place set for me - it took me three requests to get a plate, knife and cup. The duvet cover was worn and torn. I agree with PeaceCorpsNorm.

Room Tip: Ask how many people you will share the bathroom with.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Lisbeanz
czimmerl, Owner at The Poplars, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2017

Dear Elizabeth Hind, sorry that your stay was not up to par, you booked through booking. com and it was the Christmas market and also the rooms are normally booked out by are regular traders hence the price. This all led to a perfect storm. That said you missed the verbal and written instruction that there is a second bathroom and toilet for your use and also if you'd said anything to me as I said hello to to you several times and my staff we could have sorted all your concerns. Maybe this might be the solution rather than an after the event 1 star review as a kind of revenge. I normally manage to spot if there is problem but failed on this occasion.

Reviewed 23 November 2017

Close to Lincoln Cathedral is the only good thing I can say about this place. Internet continually goes out, sheets smell of too much detergent, breakfast skimpy (Yes, plenty of coffee, tea, bread, eggs to cook yourself and jam, but really?), code system for locks is terrible, just not an enjoyable place.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank PeaceCorpsNorm

Thanks Norm, please do "stay away" we had to fumigate the room after you left and if a 4 digit code is too much handle maybe lay off the booze.

Reviewed 4 November 2017

On arrival we were greeted by Martin. Lydia showed us to our room, via a tour of the house, bathrooms and breakfast dining room. Lydia gave us lots of helpful information on the local area and showed us the shortcut to the castle and cathedral. The Poplars is ideally situated to Castle Square and The Steep Hill where there are loads of cafes, bars, art galleries shops. The Poplars has lots of pieces of local art in the house. The room we stayed in was spacious, immaculately clean with a great drinks tray, decent sized drinking glasses and mugs for tea and coffee. Tea selection is very impressive both in the room and at breakfast. We shared a bathroom but there was not one time we encountered the other guests we were sharing with and it was cleaned every day. Shower Gel, shampoo and conditioner and liquid soap along with individual hand towels are all provided included in the price. Although I would describe The Poplars as "budget" these extras are luxury.
The bed was extremely comfortable and the bedding warm and clean. The views are lovely and there is even a sofa to sit on in the bedroom, plenty of plug points and a hairdryer is provided along with soft fluffy towels.
The breakfast was help yourself, plenty choice of cereal, dried and fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, jams, marmite, nutella, marmalade and a choice of butter spreads, ground and instant coffee in a beautiful, interesting and clean dining room. Heike is very friendly and happy to chat, as well as let you have your privacy if you prefer. We were able to leave our suitcase on our last day and pick it up later so we could enjoy the end of our three day break without trekking it around.
The Poplars is a short walk from the station, the streets are very hilly but the view is worth it and the house is very quiet. We would thoroughly recommend staying here and can't understand the negative comments on some reviews but we had a good laugh reading them. We will be staying here on our next visit and think you should too. Thank you for an amazing stay "Poplars"

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you sooo much for your lovely review, hope to see you soon x

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Fantastic place to stay! Room was clean and spacious with plenty of coffee and tea, toiletries and towels available. Breakfast room was great with plenty of self service options available. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Car park available on site for free. Close to Lincoln castle and town centre. Had a fantastic stay and will definitely be returning to the Poplars.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Many thanks we really appreciate your positive words