All reviews shared bathroom breakfast room boiled eggs self service steep hill egg boiling machine yogurt continental style proper coffee short cut modern bathroom top floor a lovely place to stay visit lincoln again a great stay fantastic location high street
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

Although I found this B and B charming it has one HUGE disadvantage. The concrete driveway up to the premises is EXTREMELY steep - almost vertical! I almost burnt my clutch out driving up it as did other fellow guests. The smell and smoke arising from my car was horrific. We were dreading the drive back down. If I had known about this driveway I never would have booked to stay here. The underneath of my car scraped along the concrete too causing heaven knows what damage . A nightmare! When I mentioned the problem to the young lady who greeted us she more or less just shrugged it off. Obviously the management play this feature down as it is a definite minus against the place. Other than that a pleasant stay in quirky surroundings BUT I would never stay here again because of the driveway. Almost had a nervous breakdown! Having read through some previous reviews this problem does not seem to warrant any comment from the management. Not sure what could be done but it does need sorting somehow!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sugar179
czimmerl, Owner at The Poplars, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2018

I'm not sure what comment you want, the drive is not almost vertical. there are three things car, you, drive. About 2% of people who stay comment negatively on the very short drive. Every single one simply does not have full control over there vehicles. My member of staff is a very polite member of staff and isn't going comment on your driving skills. bad workmen and tools. The vast majority of guests and the "young lady" my 84 year old lady neighbour have no problem.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

Stayed overnight , with the Mrs, and don't have a lot to moan about. We had a family room which was fine and spacious, with a shared bathroom. Ok for us well situated near the castle. Continental type breakfast, help yourself cereals, toast, boiled eggs, and many jams . Don't forget the television with every channel you can think of as well. Nice quirky Place and for the money? Yes I would return and reccomend to anyone like us who are on a budget.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
czimmerl, Owner at The Poplars, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2017

Many thanks Dave for your nice review, yes as season travelers we wanted to have a room for every budget. You shouldn't have to pay a fortune to stay in the right location in a clean and comfortable room. Mind you our en-suites are good value too .

Reviewed 22 May 2017

I booked relatively late for an academic conference nearby. There wasn't a room available for both nights together, but when I arrived they managed to sort me out a lovely alternative to switching halfway through. I had no problems at all and very much appreciated the fast internet, lovely bathroom, comfy bed and proximity to the city centre (especially the loveliest parts - great for tourism). I accidentally left some clothes in the room, too, and they were kind enough to call me about it and send them back by post. The Poplars will definitely be top of my list next time I need to stay in Lincoln! Thanks guys!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
czimmerl, Owner at The Poplars, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2017

Thank so much Adam, we appreciate your kind words, hope to see you again next time

Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Very well placed for visiting Lincoln. 5 minutes from the castle.

I had booked one of the shared bathroom rooms (all others full). 3 rooms on the top floor shared a very clean modern bathroom. Room was fine, very comfortable bed, good wi-fi. Which when staying for one night is all you need.

Breakfast was in a nice, light room downstairs. Proper coffee, juice, fruit, toast. All very nice.

My only warning would be turning into the drive it is a very steep, narrow drive which my car just couldn't get up. There is plenty of street parking close though so no really an issue.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
czimmerl, Owner at The Poplars, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2017

Thanks James, pleased you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

I'm super impressed with this quaint little place. Not only is the price extremely reasonable, the service is second to none, and the hotel itself is well maintained and quirky. Martin is literally the most helpful and lovely hotel owner I've ever met ! There is nothing negative to write about this place. Would deffo stay again and of course recommend to everyone and anyone ! =D

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
czimmerl, Owner at The Poplars, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2017

Ah thank you so much it was lovely to have you stay. Hope you get posted back here soon. my very best wishes