All reviews free tea and coffee on arrival tram stop breakfast staff bar prices great laugh sea view full english set you up for the day next year nothing is too much trouble north pier fantastic weekend couple of nights lounge area friendly atmosphere toast
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Got back from a 3 night stay yesterday, Doug and the staff are all really friendly, nothing is to much trouble, rooms are spotlessly clean, we had a sea view family room, which was big enough to accommodate the 4 of us, plenty of storage space for clothes etc, beds were comfortable. Plenty of tea/coffee etc in the room replenished daily, and hotel towels changed if required.
Breakfast was lovely, with a variety of cereals to choose from, tea, coffee, fresh orange juice, followed by full cooked breakfast or variations of it in our case �, also toast and a variety of jams to choose from, and again nothing was to much trouble.
The lounge/bar area were welcoming and the free tea and coffee served in the lounge was great. Bar prices were really good and not expensive, all in all a great stay and hopefully booking again for a return visit in a couple of months ( but with a couple more of the kids!)

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Helen M
Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

Booked this Hotel in March 2018.Arrived to find front doors locked and an unkempt figure gesticulating wildly that we go to a side door. On entering,hit by an overpowering smell of decay and sewage.
informed that the Ladies toilet was
not working ...it is but... you will get wet!!
Clearly agitated,the owner almost threw a key at us complaining he was by himself. Directed us to a decrepit old lIft.We gave it a miss and carefully negotiated a dirty staircase. At this stage we began to suspect there were no other guests.
Welcome to the Hotel California ??
Arrived at a scarred and battery door that looked like it was a survivor from WW2. Burst open more than by the key. Entered to the smell of the whole hotel and the lack of cleanliness continued . A sea view..once a clear spot on dirty window was found.... Bedding old, tired and questionable at the very least. Dust and dirt everywhere. A tiny dirty shower room. Black mould around edges and creeping up wall.
We had seen enough. Informed the owner that we would not be booking in and that we would book elsewhere. This was met with a torrent of abuse.At last we were out and gulping the fresh air. !!!

Ps. This guy had the cheek and temerity to charge my card....you have been warned.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank henryhwalsh
CanastaHotel, Owner at Canasta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2018

Well let's break this down, Henry, shall we, and relate what actually happened. The main doors were locked as you rightly said and a sign directing guests to the side door. It was windy so we prefer to use the side door. You rang the bell and I met you there and assisted you to bring bags in.
I welcomed you to the hotel and made you both a cuppa. When I served your drinks your wife was obviously in a distressed state and I thought you were having a bit of a "domestic". But then you mentioned you were surprised we were so far out of town. I was a little taken aback at that as I feel we are in the best spot in town. From what you replied it was obvious your taxi had taken you the long way round and you just thought you were a long way out. There are another 3 miles of hotels after us in North Shore. But your wife wouldn't accept that explanation and just kept muttering and tutting.
I explained the Ladies toilet was out of action although a simple repair would be done later that day - but of course there is a toilet in your room. The problem wasn't with the toilet...rather the roof above it. So there really wasn't a sewage smell was there?
Shortly after going to your room you came down and your wife left the hotel...clearly distressed. You explained to me you'd like to check out as the hotel is too far out of town. I explained again that I was sorry you thought that but asked had you REALLY got your bearings and did you know that we were only 5 minute walk (10 minute stroll) to North Pier....showing it you from our sun lounge as I explained it.
But then you started getting rather agitated using profanities and demanding a refund. You certainly didn't mention any of the other "problems" you listed above.
It was quite a bizarre incident and I was quite shocked that such an elderly chap as yourself would use the language you did and threaten me with violence and bad reports on TripAdvisor if I didn't refund your deposit. I declined as I don't particularly like being blackmailed and as you puffed up your chest to me (I mean, really, why did you do that?) it was clear I had to ask you to leave immediately.
I'm really sorry you got so distressed. Maybe you had a long journey and in the middle of a domestic I got the brunt of your frustration?

Reviewed 22 February 2018

Only good thing is the breakfast. The rooms are a disgrace dirty,dusty,ripped sheets.
The owner has a bad attitude not customer friendly. I’m waiting for his excuse as in all reviews he has one. I’d advise apply to go on 4 in a bed you would be ripped to pieces on tv. He is karaoke mad it’s the 21st century he is stuck in the 70s and the hotel in the 60s probably the last time it was cleaned.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank Bill P
CanastaHotel, Owner at Canasta Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

Bill P. you originally submitted this on 31st December Nothing better to do on New Years Eve?
TripAdvisor removed it but now I see it's back...you're digging your heels in eh.
I don't think you've stayed with us have you? Perhaps you could ring me and give me more details....but we both know that's not going to happen.
Karaoke mad? nah not really...We do it at selected times throughout the year and have some great nights.
We get 1000's of guests returning time and again - it's what keeps the business going to be honest. I'm always thankful for their business as many will find me saying as they depart.
Sometimes we get things wrong...and I'll hold my hands up and apologise.
Reviews like this (it clearly looks like you're trying to offend me) from cockwombles like you, though, I don't give two hoots about to be honest.
Now jog on Billy No Mates.

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at The Canasta for a quick night away this month and had a really fantastic stay. The hotel itself is warm and accommodating, with a cosy "home from home" feel. The owner, Dougie, was friendly throughout our stay, offering us copious tea and coffee on check in and check out.

Our room didn't have a sea view, but that wasn't needed for our stay as we were going to be busy most of the time. It was comfortable, clean and tidy and all you could need for a night away.

It was quiet when we stayed so the karaoke wasn't on, which was a shame as I love a warble on the microphone. So we spent a few happy hours in the very reasonably priced bar. We even ordered a take away from a local Indian restaurant, and Dougie arranged plates and cutlery for us from the kitchen. Nothing was too much bother for him or the rest of the staff.

In the morning was the breakfast, and that was worth the price of the room alone. Fresh juice, cereals and one of the best full English breakfasts I've ever had.

All in all an excellent stay at a very reasonable price. Would I return? You bet

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank mephoto1971
Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed here in November for the lights with family. Had a family room. Arrived early and was told not a problem to park at the hotel and return later to check-in, offered us free tea and coffee first too, excellent service. Checked-in later and went to our room. Good size room with a sea view. Had a drink in the bar at night, had a karaoke going, not for everyone but areas you can sit away from it but still in the bar area. Good prices too. Had breakfast next morning which was excellent too. In fact, better than excellent really. Juices to help yourself and cereal then cooked breakfast served to you with anything you wanted. Would and will definitely be back for sure.

Date of stay: November 2017