New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Pickering, Canada
“Our Windermere Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

.My wife and I are both originally from Cambridge UK and now live in Pickering, ON. Canada.

This was my first trip to the Lake District (my Wife's second). We had stayed overnight in Bolton, Lancashire and then travelled on to Windermere. We did not have reservations at any location. After checking out two other places for accommodations we went to the Glenburn Hotel and met with the Owner who offered us complimentary coffee. We viewed the double room which met our expectations completely. The ensuite bathroom had been renovated with modern fixtures.

We decided to make dinner reservations and were able to select our requirements from the excellent menu. As well as my entree I chose a dessert pie that required an early selection since it was homemade. The wine menu although not extensive it provided us with a good bottle of Rioja.

The following morning we had the Full English breakfast (included in the room price) and it was excellent. Our waitress, Zuzana, was excellent in every respect during our dinner and breakfast.

We would recommend this hotel and restaurant to anyone visiting the Windermere area because of it's convenient location as a base for sightseeing and the quality of accommodation, food and service.

Jean & Keith Ward

Room Tip: Book early so as not to be disappointed since the Glenburn appears to be a very popular place to sta...
1 Thank Keith W
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Hello hope you are both well you are probably back in Canada by now. It was nice to meet you both and you did catch me unawares in the lounge shoes off resting my tired feet eating my yoghurt...... I was so pleased you saw the funny side. I will pass your nice comments to Suzi she will be delighted as she has only been with us a short while. Thank you again see you next time you come back to England.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I had gone to Glenburn with my wife and daughter and stayed there for 3 nights. Glenburn is fantastically placed between the city of Windermere and Bowness. , this makes it a very convenient spot to either go towards the lake or towards the city center.
The hotel is a beautiful place to stay, don't expect a lavish place, but it is a very cosy and comfortable space, It is clearly seen that the idea of the owners to give the best of service to the customer, has percolated down to the staff also. The staff is limited, but very cheerful and always ready to help. In fact the day we were to check out, the staff took an extra effort to open the kitchen early and give us the breakfast.
The owners are also very friendly and always eager to help. The rooms are nice and comfortable, We stayed in room no 14 and it was a real good experience. The breakfast is good and has a decent variety to offer.
The hotel provides free WiFi, but the range is not very strong, in some ways it is good, as it allows you to enjoy the beauty of the place. If you ask me, then Glenburn is the place to stay in Windermere at a value for money cost and some really amazing staff

Room Tip: There are some really good rooms on the second floor, if only a couple is going, for three people, r...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello how are you it was so nice for me to spend a little time with you looking at the trees and shrubs in the garden and the weather was so beautiful you could not have picked a better time to visit the Lake District. Yes it is a very enchanting place we are very lucky to live in such beautiful surroundings. We hope one day you will come and stay with us again. Thank you so much
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

The Glenburn what a fantastic place to stay .The room was very clean ,warm and welcoming.The staff are kind friendly and helpful and the food also fantastic.We had a wonderful time thanks to everybody at the Glenburn .

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Wonderfull review thank you. Congratulations for reaching 25 years you should be very proud of yourselves that is a great achievement nowadays. Still very much Mr Romantic treating you to all those little extras in the room. Hope you visit us again to celebrate many more aniversaries. Thank you.
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

Warm welcome, very cheerful and lovely staff, greatly decorated room and very good breakfast. Its location between Windermere and Bowness is perfect for walking to each. A bonus is the free entry to the local leisure centre with access to the pool, the sauna and the jacuzzi. We also really appreciated the fact that we could leave our car in the hotel car park after checking out at 10:30am. That allowed us to go on a wonderful bike ride around the Lake. We would definitely return.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. It was such a lovely morning on Sunday and perfect for a bike ride. Thank you for your lovely comments I will pass them on to the staff. Look forward to seeing you again at The Glenburn.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

we spent mon. to fri at the hotel it was warm and the bedroom we were given was quiet with a very comfortable bed and a good shower we booked for dinner on the monday night and the food was good and well cooked, the staff were attentive and pleasant, there was a lovely bar and lounge but sadly the bar was unattended so consequently no drinks unless you rang a bell and waited for someone to come from the kitchen or reception, as you can imagine this did nothing to encourage anyone to book a meal for a second night, our choice would have been a more welcoming bar and a bit more input by the owners who left at the earliest possible moment, to go home, leaving the hotel to be run by it's young foreign staff

Room Tip: rooms to the back of the hotel are quiet
2 Thank wizzy93
Thank you for your review although a little disapointed by your commments. Monday and Tuesday is staff day's off. My husband cooks breakfast hence he is there from 7.30am until 2pm. I take over at 2pm and I cook dinner which I did so that evening... thank you for the compliments on my cooking. I leave the hotel at 10pm most evenings to drive home and my receptionist is there to serve drinks until the last person leaves the bar so I think we put a couple of good shifts in between us and do not rush off as it was put. I believe on the third day we made polite conversation with the guests in reception as my husband and I were redecorating a guest room hence another long day. Quite often guests go out and return after 11pm expecting to drink until all hours with no respect for the staff who have to be up at the crack of dawn to serve their breakfast. and then forget their key and get the staff out of bed at 3am to let them in. We all work hard at The Glenburn. My husband and I are here 6 days out of 7 to greet our guests and to ensure everything runs smoothly. We are a highly respected hotel not a 24hr truckstop and respect should be given to the staff and other guests staying with us.