“A pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
London
“A pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

The setting of this hotel is a perfect dream of a location, by the shores of Lake Windermere. I was there for a conference and so didn't have time to re-aquaint myself with the beautiful part of this world, recalled from my childhood. The staff were pleasant and the food was fine - not exceptional but well done. There was a rambling layout so it was a challenge to find one's way back to the room, but the exercise was necessary, I suppose. All in all a lovely weekend, attending an interesting conference. The hotel is well suited to conferences, but if you attend one there, extend your stay and explore the wonderful, magical countryside.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't a long hike to get to.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your recent comments about hotel, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your Conference, and we do hope that you choose to visit us again in the near future for either business or leisure. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Once again thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Thai first
liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We don't normaly write a review, but it would be so rude not to on this occasion. My husband and myself have just returned from a perfect stay at The Low Wood Hotel.

We bought a KGB deal months ago, and being on a bit of a budget decided to use it to coincide with our 35th wedding anniversary. On booking we made no mention of it being a special occasion , as we thought this would have been a bit cheeky, and so didn't expect anything special.

How wrong we were. On arrival a very friendly and helpfully receptionist checked us in to room 18. Wow! What a lovel view overlooking the lake, and I have say, we did not find the traffic noise a problem. You could say the room was a little dated, but the bathroom was thie nicest Ive seen, The shower was Amazing!.

We had a lovely 3 course meal which was spot on. Breakfast was great, everything you could want. we enjoyed chilling out and making full use of the leisure facilities which were clean and well maintained.

Staff in all areas of the hotel were efficient and friendly and couldn't do enougth for us.

Would definitely recommend , Thank you,we'll be back soon.

2 Thank iluvholsx
Dear guest, thank you so much for your recent wonderful review – I would firstly like to congratulate you once again on your 35th Wedding anniversary. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the benefits of the recent KGB offer and I agree room 18’s shower is amazing especially after a long day and the view from the room is not to be rivaled. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your meal in the Windermere Restaurant. I will ensure you comments are passed on to our team. I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Tiptree, Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife and I stayed on a Monday and Tuesday night at the Low Wood Bay Hotel on a groupon Deal. I pre-paid £26 per night to secure a Lake view room, but when we got there this was in the "Leisure Centre" area and did not feel right - so we asked to upgrade further to a feature room in the main, older part of the hotel and the receptionist was tremendously helpful and friendly about that. A very pleasant experience and many other luxury hotels could learn a thing or two from the way it was handled.

As mentioned in the headline, the few days were a great sunny time in The Lakes so things can feel different if wet and windy but..... the service was great, staff very friendly, breakfast was busy but efficient during our stay.
Note: I can imagine with a really full hotel in the height of summer it gets very busy and so may have some queues. Also, surprising to see packs of "Warburton" bread still in their packaging for the toast - surely a minute to take out of the pack gives a better impression, especially as the hotel has taken the time\ cost to supply Wilkins & Sons Tiptree preservatives (the same that is served in such as The Four Seasons etc.). The hot breakfast was very good.

Afternoon\ Evening bar snacks were plentiful and, after a long first day, we shared a Panini between the two of us around 4pm and it was ample, so have a big appetite.

The picture on here does make the hotel look lovely and as if it backs straight onto lake windermer and a marina. Unfortunately, the Ambleside to Windermere\Bowness road runs in front of the hotel and between it and The Lake - a shame as some noise in the room with windows open on a war\hot night (no air conditioning in our feature room), and also as the eveneing outside drinks area is outside the front door in a courtyward that is maybe 30 feet from the road so not the "peaceful, relaxing" beer garden type end of day drink. But I suppose you get used to it.

The standard of the general hotel was very clean and well presented - witht he old part of the hotel showing that in the upstairs corridors etc but the hotel were on top of maintenace and painting etc as best you can in an old building - and the newer extensions were fine. Our room at the front of the main hotel was large enough to fit the king size bed in and a writing table etc + ensuite bathroom. And it was fine - just about a 4* feel and the bedding was good quality cotton and the bed was a good quality.

The downstairs lounge in the hotel is comparably small for the sixwe of the hotel rooms, but the seats have a great view of The lake and hills as the sun sets. The best seats in the hotel and the first night we had a bar snack and drink in here and it was excellent.

Initially I thought the location was not too good as it is on the Ambleside top side of Lake Windermere and not within easy walking distance of Windermere or Bowness. But on reflection - as a base for exploring - it worked well for us with adequate and easy car parking.

Would we return again? It depends...
if I was having a couple of days exploring\ playing golf (We played at Windermer golf course and, whilst a short course - very friendly and in great condition!) then possibly if the rates were around £70/£80 per room per night B&B.
However, if I was wanting a romantic relaxing break in The Lakes with the late afternoons\ evenings spent at the hotel, I would pay that little bit extra and find a hotel of the "large, grand old house" variety that has grounds for you to walk\ relax in and that fronted directly onto The Lake or, if not that, was far enough away from the road to allow you to feel like you are in a tranquil place with a distant view of The Lake.

So a reasonable 3* or 4* hotel to use as a base for exploring the lake district as a whole (Kendal, Urmiston, Barrow etc etc).

Room Tip: Do look to pay the extra upgrade for a lake view of feature room - and have a look at the different...
1 Thank AndyBee
Dear guest, thank you so much for your recent review – I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the benefits of the recent KGB offer and I would like to thank you for your comments, especially regarding the manner in which your room upgrade was handled. I would like to assure you that the point you made regarding the bread has been discussed and as a result we are reviewing the presentation of this, it was primarily decided to keep the bread in its original packaging to keep the bread fresh. I am pleased however that you like the preservatives that we choose to provide.

It was pleasing to read that you found the hotel clean and well presented, the old part of the hotel dates back to 1859 so regular maintenance is required and we do aim to keep on top of this in order to enhance our guest experience. Once again I would like to thank you for your comments and I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable sun shining break. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Heswall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Returned home today from a break at Low Wood Bay.
First time, but not the last.
What an absolute treat! Great food, spotless accommodation and attentive staff. I wholeheartedly agree with previous reviews.
Didn't know what to expect on arrival, but our stay was fantastic.
Highly recommend to people wanting to visit The Lakes.

Room Tip: We were in a room near to the Japanese Garden Room 322. Although we didn't have a Lake view we...
1 Thank Flo868
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your wonderful review – I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We are always happy to read any reviews from our guests on trip advisor, as feedback is essential. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Just got back from a weekend staying at the Low Wood Bay Hotel. from the time of arrival to this morning we had a great time. The staff were fantastic, very helpful (nothing is to much trouble) the standard of the general hotel, was great very clean and well presented We were in a room at the rear of the building on the top floor, the room as with everywhere else was very clean and presented well, the windows are an issue as we were in the eves the window was small and high so unless you went right upto it you could not really see much at all (this is a very small minor point...nit picking really). We stayed for two nights and had breakfast each morning, the standard here was excellent and again nothing was to much trouble (my wife asked for poached eggs and with no issue at all two very well cooked poached eggs arrived) the quality of the food was excellent with a well stocked cerial area and a full english cooked area, all self service and plenty of it.
We had dinner at he hotel on Sunday night and again the food was great ( I have changed my word from excellent to good, but only as I feel I am saying excellent to much).
And as for the location....guess what.....yes your right 'excellent'
Will def return again

Room Tip: On arrival you could pay £25 or £35 for a lake view room......pay the extra
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest, thank you so much for your excellent review – I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel as well as it's excellent location. I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team, especially regarding the breakfast and dinner in the Windermere Restaurant. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
4.4 km away
Waterhead Hotel
Waterhead Hotel
#1 of 12 in Ambleside
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,580 reviews

Been to Low Wood Bay? Share your experiences!