“Beautiful location and good facilities.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Low Wood Bay
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Cumbria, United Kingdom
“Beautiful location and good facilities.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

No one could fault the location, particularly if the sun is shining! And the hotel has a good range of facilities, a good restaurant and helpful staff. The key issue is probably how good an offer you can find on price, unless you are fortunate to not need to work about money!

• Stayed February 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for a rewarding review especially about our team. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Thai first
Preston,Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed here with my husband and 5 yr old son for 1 night last week. I had booked using my avios points the day before we went. After having looked at the reviews we had great expectations of the hotel. The room we were allocated was ok. I know I had got it discounted but it was a room out of the main part of the hotel and looked at the court yard. It seemed to be miles away. Having stayed in a lot of hotels for the money, the room was just ok. I went to reception where the point was made by the receptionist about how I had booked although the receptionist was pleasant I did not feel that needed too be mentioned. The porter then showed me around 4 other rooms. I eventually picked one, room 277 and paid an extra £15 not the £25 that it should have been. I still felt that it was not fab but better than.we had been offered originally. My only complaint was that the double bed was 2 singles pushed together with a ridge in the middle. Husband on one side im on the other or lay together on one single! View was lovely of the lake. Leisure club was good. Breakfast was lovely. Advice for somewhere to eat was good. Would we go back? I don't think we would. There are others that offer more for us in the lakes.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank haydensmummy
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your review about hotel, it was gratifying to read that you did enjoy elements of your stay in particular the Leisure club, the views from the lake view rooms and breakfast in the Windermere. I am however sorry that you had to move rooms to find a room that more suited your needs, the hotel does have 110 bedrooms so there is an element of some of the rooms being away from the reception area of the hotel, although they are all joined to the main building. I looked into your comments regarding the zip and link beds, these are two twin mattresses that are purpose made to zip together to form one large mattress in order to provide flexibility to rooms, this is a common feature in a lot of hotels in the country. In order to combat the feeling of being two beds pushed together we provide mattress toppers for each and every bed with this feature, it does however appear on investigation that on this occasion the bed did not have the topper placed on it, for this I sincerely apologize if it caused you to feel that you had to sleep on one side of the bed. I hope you will give us the opportunity in the near future to demonstrate these issues you experienced do not occur again, If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Booked the night before so got a double room at a reduced rate. Even at full price it would have been value for money. Room was clean, quiet and well-equipped. Bathroom was excellent with a deep bath and copious amounts of hot water. Swimming pool was amazing but couldn't get in the outdoor hot tub as it was so popular. Ate in the restaurant at night . My wife and I had a two course meal for £65 which included a very nice bottle of wine. Breakfast was out of this World..best choice ever. Views across the lake to the hills amazing. Will definitely book again.

Room Tip: The hotel fronts onto the busy Ambleside road so if you prefer quiet to a view of the lake book a ro...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your wonderful review – I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We are always happy to read any reviews from our guests on trip advisor, as feedback is essential. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Prenton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

First time here and have to say loved it.
Having not stayed before or visited the lakes in a few years I booked this 'blind' and after speaking to friends and colleagues AND checking out the reviews on Trip advisor.

The hotel is on the North end of Windermere just outside of Ambleside and is well located for local visiting whatever your interests.

One small point, if you look at the online pictures of this (from the lake) it gives the impression that the hotel seamlessly works its way down to the water, there is in fact a rather 'busy' road between the lake and the hotel.
I paid a premium of £26 per night for a lake view room, it's true to say we got one however, a) I'm not sure when the same view is free from the hotel lounge that the small benefit (given how little time we spent in our room) how benefical it is to spend such a premium sum. b) with the lake view of course (knowing what i do now) with the lake view comes the overlooking the road and the noise of the traffic to accompany it. Don;t get me wrong, I'm glad we did it once but on future visits (yes, we will definitely be back) I'll gladly give the bedroom view and traffic noise a miss.
Staff are incredibly polite here, the hotel Management should be very proud of the level of customer service offered by their team.
Breakfast was a great experience, situated in the main, spacious and light large restaurant the array of food was amazing. From Croissants to brioche to chocalte petit-pain, cereals, to fresh fruit galore, all the usual hot foods plus things like potato bread and porridge. It's all buffet style with the exception of your hot drinks.
For tea lovers, I found the hotel's approach quirky, how often has your tea been too strong or too weak? Here you have quanint tins on your table with a variety of teas in and you are brought a thermal jug of boiling water to make your own. It's simple but such a nice touch. Same goes in the rooms, never in my literally thousands of nights in hotels have I come across a cafetierre and ground coffee to drink. It's things like this that make a hotel stand out to me.
The hotel has an apparently fantastic leisure club though our time didn't permit us using this time but we plan to next time.

The lounge is beautiful spacious chairs and sofas, log fires burning, polite efficient staff and the view of the lake.

I booked this hotel on a 'third party' offer and got exceptional value for money, it was slightly disappointing therefore when I enquired about extending our stay to cover the Friday night that the hotel wanted to charge me more for the friday night than I paid for the two night offer. Shame, had they been happy to charge just a slight premium to our special rate (say to around £80) I would have jumped at it, I felt £140 for one night was steep. That said it appears the Lake District hotels in general seem to feel that as a 'resort' they can charge a significant premium of a weekend for checkintg out prices on comparison websites the majority feel £100 per night for a weekend is acceptable, good luck if they get it. The slight irony on this was on checking out we were supplied with a voucher offering us the same room rate break deal as we had booked via the third party valid for Sun-Thurs, so they obviously want your custom.

Not a negative more advice from one who has stayed. The (spacious) carpark is situated at the rear of the buildings is when loaded down with luggage a bit of a hike and if your are disabled (we aren't) following the sign to reception leads you to steps and no ramp. My recommendation whether abled bodied or not is pull onto the front of the hotel where you can unload your car straight into the main reception and then go park.

Can't wait to go back to this small piece of heaven, that is the hotel and the region.

Room Tip: Decide if you want a lake view room but be advised it (at the time of writing) carries a premium of...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew S
Dear Guest, thank you so much for the thorough and detailed review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. You mention in your review that the management should be very proud of the team, I can assure you we are, the team are our strongest asset and I will ensure your comments are passed on to each of our team members. It was pleasing to read that you also enjoyed the breakfast in the restaurant and well as our hot beverage provisions throughout the hotel. I am sorry that you did not get the opportunity to visit the leisure club, the hot tub is most certainly worth a visit – hopefully next time! I will look into the points you made regarding the rooms priced for additional nights, we do have different rates which all depend on the availability of the day, weekends are often quite busy periods and our rates often reflect this, we do offer discounted return stays which are subject to availability, it is always worth asking to speak to the Duty Manager who may often have more room to discount for guests in house. Once again thank you for your review and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Rochdale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We booked this Hotel for our silver wedding anniversary and as our sixteen year old son was coming with us we wanted somewhere we could keep him entertained if the weather was bad. We stayed in the main building in a feature room which was a large room with two windows overlooking the lake and a jacuzzi bath which was great.
The spa and sports facilities were fantastic including squash which we played every day.The hot tub was a new experience for me being outside in a bath in February didn't seem too appealing but again it was brilliant, an experience not to be missed.
All the staff who I came in contact with in the hotel and the spa club were very pleasant and helpful.
We booked bed and breakfast and again the breakfast was very good with a vast choice in a nice setting. The service again was very efficient.
In summary we had a fantastic weekend and would be more than happy to return to this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your recent review and congratulations once again on your silver wedding anniversary. I was very pleased to read that your family enjoyed your recent stay in-spite of the awful weather we experienced. The hot tub is definitely as you say an experience not to be missed and I am glad you enjoyed the leisure facilities and the squash courts. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
4.4 km away
Waterhead Hotel
Waterhead Hotel
#1 of 12 in Ambleside
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,601 reviews

Been to Low Wood Bay? Share your experiences!