“Must try harder”

Ranked #31 of 185 Restaurants in Penrith
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 17 September 2018

First of all this is aimed at the North bound services, so if I have the wrong one I apologise. Tebay has been long recognised as a " special " service area, not full of multi chain takeaways etc. That still applies, the lake and general demeanour is still the same and I would score it 5* however, on a Sunday morning around 10.30am we were extremely disappointed. Lots of queues but where were the staff ?? In a queue for coffee, along with about six people ahead of me with hot food BUT one serving girl was making a toastie whilst the lad on the till was making coffee to order. So hot food getting cold, asked if extra staff could come and assist but he said they were short of staff. BUT a lady came behind the counter, made some toast for someone then disappeared. When I eventually got to the till and ordered my coffee the lad apologised ( well done ) but said they couldn't get the staff. Sorry that is not good enough, there were staff at other counters, surely those with HOT FOOD should be treated better.

Reviewed 17 September 2018

Lovely fresh food after you’ve been in the road for hours. Setting is beautiful and they have a farm shop which is expensive but the food quality is very good.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

We stopped here just for fuel on the way to Scotland but having entered the service station to pay we realised that it was not the normal big name garage standard service station.
There were home baked cakes, fresh fruit, a nice assortment of teas and coffees and pretty much everything you need on a journey. The overall impression was of entering a village shop where they take pride in the foods on display.
We each had a baked fruit slice at £1.90 each but it was delicious and certainly not the mass produced stuff you normally get
at a service station.
We enjoyed the food so much we stopped there again on the way home two weeks later.
We reckon this must be one of the best service stations on the M6 or in fact anywhere we had been before on a motorway petrol station.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

Called at Tebay Northbound Services September 2017 on route home from Manchester airport
Decided to try their homemade steak and ale pie in which I was bitterly disappointed it contained only two or three very small pieces of steak a piece of gristle and a lot of sludge.
I complained about the standard of the meal and I had the cost of my meal reimbursed,
Doing exactly the same journey this year on almost the exact date I unfortunately called in again, being a sucker for a pie I thought I’ll try again it must have been a one off!
No it wasn’t the pie was almost exactly the same, this time I turned over the crust and sieved through the contents to find 3 small pieces of meat smaller in size than a sugar cube. I asked to see the manager told her my story and so she brought me fresh serving, explaining that the previous one had been the last portion in the tray and it happened that maybe the meat had got served to earlier customers. Off she went and I began sieving again hurray 5 tiny pieces of meat this time accompanied by the previously mentioned sludge, on closer inspection this appeared to consist of swede and carrot.
Swede and carrot had no place in a steak and ale pie, its contents should be as described “steak and ale “ and not filler.
I couldn’t be bothered to go through the complaint procedure again so in future I shall vote with my feet “or wheels” and drive straight past
I hope other customers take time to lift their crusts and separate the extremely meagre meat content from the sludge and complain.
I wonder how many portions of pie they produce from a pound of meat?
I think the local trading standards should take a look at their offerings,
Shame on you Tebay services you are a disgrace
I always used to go to what is now only a truck stop on the southbound side of the M6 at Tebay but not allowed to do this now “trucks only” Why????

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

Fab service from all staff, the food was tasty too! Most importantly though Clean Toilets!!! Of all the services we have stopped at this is the best by far!!

Date of visit: September 2018
WestmorlandFamily, Customer Experience and Marketing Assistant at Tebay Services, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Hi Georgia,

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review of our services.

We're thrilled to hear that you had such a positive experience on your most recent visit. We're committed to providing a clean, relaxing environment for our customers, so it's wonderful to hear feedback such as this.

We hope to see you again soon!

Best Wishes,