“A wonderful treat, excellent food”
Review of Taste Of Bengal

Taste Of Bengal
Ranked #56 of 163 Restaurants in Penrith
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 25 July 2017

We recently went to Taste of Bengal while staying a night in Penrith. It was close to our hotel, and sounded better than another round of fish and chips.

I was a bit hesitant, since I was more familiar with south Indian food, but ordered the naan bread and poppadums, chicken tikka masala (a mild coconut based sauce) and the spiced hamburger skewers for the kids.

Surprisingly, the kids LOVED the food, as well as the adults. We over-ate because everything was so delicious.

Would definitely recommend this restaurant. Food was excellent, service was fast and friendly, parking was easy to find on the street or in the lot.

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed my meal here yesterday. I was quite lucky to get a table as it was pretty full. Lovely onion bhajis with a very tasty mint sauce. My curry was perfect - rated as medium, spicy but not too hot. Reasonable prices.
It's not the smartest of places (it's perhaps seen better days) but if the food is good, the decor is secondary.
I would recommend this place.

Reviewed 6 May 2017

Situated on the A6 just north of the town centre, this is a welcoming restaurant where service is always efficient and with a smile. I like watching fish so always look for a table near them, but if that is not your 'thing' then there are plenty of tables well away.

There is an excellent choice of dishes covering all tastes and degrees of heat both for starters and mains. Do ask for popadoms to enjoy while thinking about the order.

It also does takeaway food, best to order before going, and will provide 'doggy bags' if the amount beats you.

The only problem can be parking as the restaurant competes with a fish and chip shop opposite for spaces. If you cannot park on the pavement by the restaurant or on the road go round again by which time there is usually a space.

Reviewed 12 April 2017

My wife and I visited on Saturday evening. Although it is situated on a busy road there are parking spaces. We managed to park slightly down the hill from the restaurant around 100 yards away.

Apart from having a healthy restaurant trade the owners are kept busy catering for customers using their take away service.

I had a quarter chicken tandoori starter followed by a chicken madras with onion rice and a plain naan. My wife ordered a chicken tandoori masala with pilau rice and a plain naan. It was clear that the food was well-salted, but nonetheless we both really enjoyed our meals. The naans were hot and probably the best we have enjoyed for a long time. My wife had half a lager and I drank iced water - the whole meal cost around £30 and represented good value.

Our host, though busy throughout, was affable and attentive. We would eat here again if we return to the area.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Went for a Sunday evening meal with friends (16). Courteous, prompt service and the best Indian meal I have had in a long time. The Naan bread was a highlight, but the whole meal was great. And the beer was cold! Thank you