The Sun Coniston
Waterhead Hotel(Coniston)
USD 119
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 145/night.

YHA Coniston Coppermines(Coniston)(Great Value!)
USD 65
Lakeland House(Coniston)
USD 129
USD 130
USD 166
USD 121
Bluebird Lodge(Coniston)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe pubhaggisold mannew cheflake districtlots of charactersunday roastcomfy beddays walkinglovely foodfamily roomgreat beera lovely staybreakfast was excellentconservatoryalesportions
Reviewed 4 January 2018

We visit Coniston at least twice a year and always call for a few pints in The Sun so this pub is very familiar to us but this is the first time we have stayed as we normally bring our caravan to Park Coppice just outside Coniston.
Negatives out of the way first. We stayed for 3 nights over New Year arriving Saturday and going home Tuesday, on enquiring via email before booking earlier in the year I was told only 3 nights minimum stay was allowed and to book online rather than over the phone to receive the 10% early booking discount and this is what I did. On Sunday morning breakfast was full, on Monday morning breakfast was half full, on Tuesday morning we were the only ones having breakfast apart from a couple of non residents which set me off thinking what's the 3 night minimum stay all about!?!? On paying the bill we were asked was everything ok with our stay so we said yes it was but with us having 2 children and a dog we'd have liked to have stayed only 2 nights but were told we couldn't, the lady behind the bar said she takes bookings over the phone and has never been told of any minimum stay rule at all and guests had stayed for 1, 2 and 3 nights over the festive period!! Moral of the story.....DO NOT make any enquiries via email or book online, telephone The Sun and get the number of nights you actually need rather than be duped into staying longer and paying more!
Positives. The staff were so lovely especially the 2 ladies. The room was lovely with a comfy bed and a massive bathroom and the breakfast's were very tasty. The major plus to our stay was the disco on New Year's Eve what an absolutely brilliant time we had along with the rest of the people who filled the dancefloor, the DJ was brilliant and played some of the best dance music around, i'm 47 and hubby is 50 and we danced non stop....it was fab, one of the best New Years we have had and judging by the amount of people on the dancefloor we're not the only ones who enjoyed the night.
To finish... the whole hotel could do with a thorough clean not just a make do rub as the amount of dust and cobwebs does make a bad impression especially in the bedrooms, don't know if I would stay there again but we will certainly be returning for a pint when next in Coniston.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

We visited this pub tonight, first impressions were very friendly staff, nice choice of bitters (my husband, who is very particular about the beer he drinks, really enjoyed the YOLO beer). There were a good selection of gins for me and a selection of fevertree tonics. The food was yummy, myself and the kids had fish and chips (delicious, lovely piece of fish in a delicious non-greasy batter served with peas -mushy or garden - chips and a side salad with some yummy tartar sauce), and my husband had gammon and chips which came with both pineapple and eggs. We very much liked this pub and would highly recommend. What detracted from the whole experience was a group of parents who saw fit to allow their children to run amok whilst they sat and drank their drinks oblivious to the crashing and banging, shouting and kerfuffle and stamping around on the wooden floors above where we were sitting.
This pub is dog friendly and the staff are friendly and helpful.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank CliveR337
Reviewed 21 December 2017

We booked four nights at The Sun as a pre christmas break. I have to say the welcome we received was second to none and the food was superb. The building itself though has deteriorated since I was last there 12 years ago. I'm not saying its bad at all, just a little shabby, and for the price we paid,I was happy. The heating was a little ropy and the room was adequate but a little tired. This didn't detract from the experience though, and the beer and food in the adjoining made up for any shortcomings in the room.

Stayed: December 2017
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the Sun on the 17th September. I travelled by motorcycle, unfortunately the car park is a bit out of sight from the hotel. When I asked if I could park my bike next to the conservatory, the answer was a very pleasant "no problem".
I was in a lovely room at the top of the building, only one small window to the front but, a really large window at the foot of the bed, looking out over the fells.
A great selection of beers at the bar, and an excellent breakfast, as much coffee and juice as you want.
In all a highly recommend place to stay. Very helpful and friendly staff.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights at the sun hotel visiting from australia ...our room had a million dollar veiw ..staff was so friendly and so helpful ..meals was an excellent price and tasted as good as it looked ..good walking trails on your door step .pet friendly. Would definitely recommend

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family