“My home away from home!”

West Vale Country House
Ranked #31 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
London
“My home away from home!”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My expectations of this lovely, cosy country guest house were high - the pictures looked very inviting - but my expectations were far exceeded. Here's why.

First, Glynn and Dee, the lovely, smiley couple who run the place, are two of the kindest people one could meet. Examples: I was driving (like a maniac) from London to the Lakes on a Thursday after work. I had informed G&D already that I would be arriving around midnight - at about 16:00, I received a text asking if I should like a platter ready in my room to eat when I arrive, as I would probably be hungry - how considerate of them! Glynn was kindly waiting up for me when I arrived (just 10 minutes before midnight) and helped me check in very quickly, so I could settle into bed.

Another example of the welcome I received: I had climbed Scafell Pike during my trip. The following morning, I had a lovely, lovely breakfast (more later) and headed back to my room for a short nap. Dee knocked gently on my door at about 11am to ask if I was feeling ok, as I had been telling her about my sore feet at breakfast! This kind of welcome cannot be bought - it was a pleasure to stay in the company of this lovely couple.

All three nights I stayed, I slept very well in the incredibly comfortable bed. The room was so tastefully decorated - as was the rest of the house. I'm not sure why this was so surprising to me - perhaps I had subconsciously expected an Old-England style, but what I got was a beautifully welcoming, exquisitely tasteful, wonderfully comforting home away from home. Breakfast was sublime. Served on beautiful dinnerware, in a dining room that was, again, beautifully decorated and so bright, I had an English breakfast, cooked to perfection, with tea served in a proper little pot, and a naughty but divine lemon posset topped with a blueberry!

I may sound as if I'm embellishing, but I kid you not - this warm, welcoming, simply perfect house, sitting away from towns in the middle of the countryside, is exactly the place I will a) happily revisit whenever I'm up in the Lakes, and b) recommend to anyone without hesitation. In fact, I would urge anyone not to miss it.

Room Tip: Good room? You're spoilt for choice. I had room 2 which was just lovely, with a 4 poster bed in...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Heighington
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was our second visit and once again superb luxurious accomodation, fantastic breakfast and excellent hospitality, completely deserving of its 5 star rating. The wife and myself are made to feel at ease with Glynn and Dee and are treat as though we are old friends. Will certainly stay there again and would highly recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

On arrival we were greeted by Glynn with the news that he had upgraded us to a suite, and he led us up the beautifully carpeted and decorated stairway to an elegant room with two windows providing stunning views of the surrounding countryside. The room had very good quality furnishings and was spotlessly clean. In addition to the usual items provided, tea making facilities, hairdryer, toiletries and linen etc, we had a full sized ironing board and iron, a selection of films for the DVD and magazines. A bookcase in the hallway provides another means of entertainment. What impressed us most was the lighting – too many times we have stayed in rooms where the lighting is so dim you cannot see to read, or put make-up on, but not here and there are lots of electrical sockets, just where you need them.
We didn’t use the residents’ lounge, but we did glance in and it was of the same high standard. The quality of the breakfast has been mentioned in other reviews, and it is just the best way to start the day. The attention to detail here is plain to see, and it was not surprising to learn that our hosts are well travelled as they have drawn on their experiences to give their guests first class treatment.
Thank you, Glynn and Dee, for spoiling us, just when we needed it most!
Jan and Andrew

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Alnwick
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at West Vale, this time taking advantage of the "3 nights for the price of 2" offer: which was a great deal. As we were the only guests there for the first night, Dee & Glynn kindly upgraded us to one of the suites - pure luxury, with magnificent views of the idyllic countryside.

The room was spacious, beautifully decorated, modern and comfortable. Everything was spotless and no detail was spared.

The breakfasts were delicious: I opted for the wide-ranging buffet only but my husband made full use of both this and the cooked fare. With free-range eggs from the chickens on the adjoining property, they couldn't have been fresher!

Dee and Glynn are perfect hosts: we only hope they continue to run West Vale for a very long time! We will certainly go back and would recommend it to anyone looking for the perfect get-away in the Lake District.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

How lucky we were to find West Vale Country House, our stay was just perfect. Glynn and Dee made us so welcome, every comfort a guest would wish for had been thought of. We thoroughly enjoyed a lovely relaxed break in their beautiful house which was perfect in every way with stunning views and the best breakfast ever. We'll definitely be back! Karen and Andy, Northamptonshire

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
8.2 km away
10.7 km away
Rydal Lodge Hotel
Rydal Lodge Hotel
#3 of 5 in Rydal

Been to West Vale Country House? Share your experiences!