My expectations of this lovely, cosy country guest house were high - the pictures looked very inviting - but my expectations were far exceeded. Here's why.
First, Glynn and Dee, the lovely, smiley couple who run the place, are two of the kindest people one could meet. Examples: I was driving (like a maniac) from London to the Lakes on a Thursday after work. I had informed G&D already that I would be arriving around midnight - at about 16:00, I received a text asking if I should like a platter ready in my room to eat when I arrive, as I would probably be hungry - how considerate of them! Glynn was kindly waiting up for me when I arrived (just 10 minutes before midnight) and helped me check in very quickly, so I could settle into bed.
Another example of the welcome I received: I had climbed Scafell Pike during my trip. The following morning, I had a lovely, lovely breakfast (more later) and headed back to my room for a short nap. Dee knocked gently on my door at about 11am to ask if I was feeling ok, as I had been telling her about my sore feet at breakfast! This kind of welcome cannot be bought - it was a pleasure to stay in the company of this lovely couple.
All three nights I stayed, I slept very well in the incredibly comfortable bed. The room was so tastefully decorated - as was the rest of the house. I'm not sure why this was so surprising to me - perhaps I had subconsciously expected an Old-England style, but what I got was a beautifully welcoming, exquisitely tasteful, wonderfully comforting home away from home. Breakfast was sublime. Served on beautiful dinnerware, in a dining room that was, again, beautifully decorated and so bright, I had an English breakfast, cooked to perfection, with tea served in a proper little pot, and a naughty but divine lemon posset topped with a blueberry!
I may sound as if I'm embellishing, but I kid you not - this warm, welcoming, simply perfect house, sitting away from towns in the middle of the countryside, is exactly the place I will a) happily revisit whenever I'm up in the Lakes, and b) recommend to anyone without hesitation. In fact, I would urge anyone not to miss it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled deep in the heart of the Lake District National Park on the edge of the village of Far Sawrey you will find West Vale Country House an idyillic small retreat where you can escape and leave your cares behind This stunning location overlooks Grizedale Forest The Old Man of Coniston and the surrounding area is a pot-pourri of cultural historical and architectural gems as Beatrix Potters Cottage Brantwood Holker Hall Dove Cottage and Levens Hall ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, TripOnline SA, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Booking.com, lastminute.com.au, Priceline and Cancelon so you can book your West Vale Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- West Vale County Hotel
- West Vale County Ambleside
- West Vale Country House Ambleside, Lake District