1,028 results
All reviews roll top bath monsoon shower chateaubriand superior room nespresso machine walk in shower afternoon tea wine list prawns special occasion main course queen victoria mini bar lovely hotel fresh milk an upgrade sunday lunch
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We have stayed at HDV's all over the UK and generally had an excellent stay but this was one of the worst we have experienced anywhere.
To qualify we did book our room through Expedia and did pay just £119 for the night but I know we would have had a better stay at a Premier Inn or Travelodge.
On the positive the hotel is perfectly located to enjoy all this location has to offer and you can walk everywhere so the position is perfect. That is the end of the positive comments.
We were given our room key and I must apologise as I cannot remember the name however the room is upstairs and the size is probably the smallest room we have ever stayed in.
The bed was very uncomfortable and we did not sleep well because the mattress was very hard.
You had to be careful getting out of bed as you could hit yourself either against the wall or the unit.
From one side of the bed you literally could fall into the bathroom and there was no room to dry yourself in the bathroom after you had squeezed into the small shower.
There was no room to put a case so it was left in front of the bedroom door.
As for breakfast it took 10 minutes to be seated even though the restaurant only had three other couples in. Drinks took another 10 minutes and ordering another 5 minutes.
The buffet was reasonable but the cooked breakfast ingredients very poor. My wife waited 10 minutes for more hot water but the waitress was very good at looking the other way.
On checkout the girl on reception never even asked if we had had a reasonable stay but maybe the bags under my eyes giave this away.
Sorry HDV but you need to close this room dwon and make it in to a store room as it may bring you incoem but it will put people off using your Hotel Group if they think this the standard you offer whihc we know it is not !

Room Tip: Avoid the very small box room at the top of the stairs !
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ANDY K
James M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thank you for your feedback Andy, I’m sorry you were disappointed.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We often eat here as the food is excellent- very tasty ,well presented and reasonably priced. We were just unlucky to have a very annoying and amateurish waiter last Saturday lunchtime .I noticed someone recently reviewed a waiter at the Bistro here as being “over familiar” .That must have been ours! Should have realised at the outset when he haughtily refused to look up at us from writing in the check-in book as we waited at the restaurant entrance( we had booked). As well as his irritating habit of touching us on the shoulder ( no don’t do it !) , he was fairly useless. Brought us two plates of bread (forgetting we already had one),but had to be reminded 3 times to bring our wine. We sat there, drinkless for 30 minutes , with our bread, while we heard him muttering that 2 tables had arrived at once as though this were a dreadful problem.We watched him chatting for 20 minutes to another table as we waited for our drinks, not looking to see if any other customers needed serving and totally forgetting our wine. Then we reminded him a third time and he sped off to actually order it! After the main course (very good food) I reminded him he’d brought us the wrong dessert menu so he then took ages to bring the right one. He then began chatting to another table for an age as we waited patiently to order our desserts. When we exasperatedly ,but politely , beckoned him over , he very nastily snapped at us ,as though we were intruding, saying that he had been asking them whether they needed coffee( not true,I had been listening to his long conversation with them). A definite Fawlty Towers moment! Long time since I’ve been talked to like that!
Finally our not so charming waiter removed half our dirty plates and then left us with the other half in order to remove someone else’s plates on the far end of the room - he just always seemed to forget what he was meant to be doing. No system whatsoever. I wonder if Hotel du Vin reads these reviews? If I were them I would remove this waiter pretty sharpish . He’s not an entertainments manager,he’s meant to be a waiter .He doesn’t do your restaurant much credit. It’s great to interact with people but not to ignore your other customers needs. We have always had good waiters previously and unfortunately it put us off returning which is sad as the food is so good.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FrancesHove

Thank you for your feedback Frances. I’m sorry you did not enjoy your visit, and hope we can welcome you back for a second chance at some point in the future.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Enjoyable short break in Tunbridge Wells.

Our room enjoyed a fine view over Calverley Park. The room itself was a bit small, as was the bathroom and there were some unnecessary cushions on the bed, but it was comfy, and certainly warm.

The staff were helpful and friendly, and the breakfast was tasty and well-cooked.

The hotel was conveniently located for the Pantiles, the museum, Calverley Park, and the other shops and restaurants, but it had somewhat limited parking.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review 558bry - I hope we can welcome you back before too long.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Family Sunday lunch; I had heard good reviews of the set price menu so was looking forward to it. We were going to be four but one dropped out so my daughter called the day before to let them know we would be three. Drinks in the bar first, why is it always so dark in the bar? Nice service and good wine. We let the front desk know when we arrived that we were one less but the maitre d was not informed. It wasn't a problem but poor communication nevertheless. At our table, set for four, we were explained to how the menu works. Soup to start, then the hors d'oeuvre buffet which was plentiful and offered a good choice of meat and fish but not too generous for a vegetarian, one of which we were. We were given a bread basket which had a good choice of different breads and waited for our soup. We waited and waited and...you can guess the rest. My daughter decided to go straight the buffet and we followed suit like good lambs; it was Easter Sunday after all. We enjoyed our cold starter but still no sign of the soup or our waiter. When he finally returned from what must have been his break, he was surprised when we told him we did not get the soup. He said he would go and speak to the chef as he 'did put the order in'. He offered to get us some soup but we were past it by then plus our main course had arrived. I had the roast beef which was good along with the vegetables which were also good. My daughter had omelette Arnold Bennet but as they had served it in an iron skillet it continued to cooked so was rather rubbery by the time she had finished. My daughter in law had the vegetarian tagine which she said was nice. The girls had pudding, the creme brûlée was very good but I felt the profiteroles should have had a warm dark chocolate sauce rather than a cold milk one. Overall it was good, the wine is expensive but good and the bloody Mary's are spicy but also very good. I would eat there again as I think it is very good value for the food at £26.50 per head for four courses. It would have been nice to have had an apology for the lack of soup but we ate well anyway. The waiter was very familiar which was fine but I could understand some people would take umbrage to him joining in on the conversation...

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback Edith - I’m sorry you did not receive your soup.
I hope we can welcome you back before too long.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

I booked a nights stay at Hotel du Vin for my partners birthday. I booked the celebration package which included champagne in the room and dinner.
From the moment we arrived we felt welcome. The hotels history is beautiful, the decor is timeless and spotless throughout. Appon arrival i was told that our room had been upgraded to a superior room. The room its self was fantastic, probably one of the biggest hotel rooms ive stayed in. We had a very comfortable king size bed, roll top bath and monsoon shower which was amazing. The hotel had a great range of REN toiletries which smelt lovely and fresh. We had dinner and breakfast during our stay which i could not fault. They perfected my steak and were attentive throughout the evening. The breakfast was brilliant with plenty of choice. The hotel is situated a short walk to the town centre and has parking onsite although it did get busy very quickly. I absolutely loved our stay at hotel du vin and will definitely be recommending it to our friends and family.
Thank you.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
James M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Dear 217annabellew,
Thank you so much for your fabulous review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your visit, and hope your partner enjoyed their Birthday equally.
I do hope we can welcome you both back again before too long.

Best wishes,