“Lovely Setting”

Ranked #16 of 192 Restaurants in Dover
Price range: USD 20 - USD 72
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus stop situated directly outside the Marquis. Service no. 91. Nearest train station : Temple Ewell ( Dover - London Victoria line) Please call for preferred taxi services.
Description: We hope you're feeling hungry... Look forward to robust, fresh flavors served with imagination and flair in east Kent's newest contemporary restaurant. Our Head Chef presides over heavenly menus that change regularly and use locally caught fish and locally sourced produce. The wine, beer and drinks list is also top notch. Old school... New World... Kent wines from Kent vineyards... Local real ales... Great taste is everything at the Marquis.
Reviewed 8 May 2018

We visited the restaurant for Sunday Lunch.

When we arrived the restaurant looked lovey, we went in and there were no staff to be seen, after 5 minutes or so they turned up and showed us to our table,

We were again left for a while with no drink order taken and not even a menu, We at last got the menu and ordered some drinks, we went for the 2 course, main and pudding.

We received our main, both went for roast beef. the food was lovely and plentiful, this was followed by a lovely pudding.

We asked for the bill, when it arrived it was wrong so we went to the bar and pointed out they had left off the wine, the bill was amended but with no thank you for pointing out the mistake, left me feeling that I should have not mentioned it.

Overall the setting is fantastic, the food lovely, front of house staff poor.

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

We had the worst afternoon tea we've ever had, half a sandwich each, 1 tiny scone, a minuscule selection of cakes and 1 pot of tea, we were out in less than 30 minutes

Reviewed 26 April 2018

Went on a Thursday night as part of a 2-night package with my wife. Our first visit to this fine dining restaurant and boutique hotel.

We had an excellent evening, the food was very good and it was nice to have a taste of the Kent local wine before choosing. I agree with a few comments that the food - whilst being very good - was not quite "fine". But in some ways better for that.

Very well cooked and presented, their was good use of cheaper options although the prices were quite top heavy. Service was friendly and attentive for us.

Would I return? Yes although i hope they add a steak course or two to the menu.

1  Thank AndyBee
Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

The food was absolutely, the most delicious food i’ve eaten in several years and my partner agreed. Honestly I would reccommend to everyone and anyone, really really delicious. As for portion sizes, as I read other reviews I completely disagree, my partner and I aren’t the skinniest of people nor the largest so when the food came out, in my head I thought (oh I could eat more than that) as you do, but the sizes were perfect, I couldn’t eat more! The appearance was as good as the taste and it did indeed fill me up. Not enough to try the cheesecake of course ;) even that was out of this world. Service was perfect, price was acceptable, food was out of this world. All staff deserve a pat on the back!

Reviewed 18 April 2018

Despite the delicious tastes, despite the artistry of the food's presentation, despite the smiling service whose rewards, I understand, don't meet the pockets of the smileys, I will not return until I hear first hand accounts of change.
A previous review was answered with the comments that the food is in (tiny) portions because it is 'rich'.
My impression is that the shareholders think this is a way to 'get rich'