“Great staff, FANTASTIC hostel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kipps

Kipps
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great staff, FANTASTIC hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Kipp's is, hands down, one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in - and I have stayed in many. =)

The staff were phenomenal - I met four, and each was very welcoming and personable, organizing evening social events like barbecues, movie nights, pub outings, etc. I stayed in a 6-bed dorm (two single beds and two bunks, ensuite) which was very clean with decent beds. The common room was very spacious and conducive to "hanging out;" there was a lovely little sunroom for breakfast; a beautiful garden outback; a great kitchen; free tea/coffee, wifi, and a little Kipp's map of Canterbury. An easy 10-minute walk from the city centre, the Roman walls, and castle ruins.

Congratulations to Kipp's on their great establishment - I definitely recommend this!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank eehathaway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
St Andrews, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Easily the best hostel I've ever stayed in during my 4 years in the UK. 10 minute walk from High Street, easy to find. Smiles welcomed my friend and me and we were immediately awed by the customer service. We skipped out on the hostel's movie night (they have an event every night) for some dinner in town (Raj - great Indian food), but upon our return were welcomed to play pool in the hostel's backyard and even brought cake and beer by management just because. The beds were comfortable, but the shower - my only complaint - was weak. Plenty of hot water, but not a lot of pressure. They let us leave our luggage while we explored Canterbury the following day before departing. I would definitely recommend this hostel and will be sure to stay there in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Middle East
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Little to say. The staff seemed to be helpful. The dorm was a bit small, but okay. Try to arrive early and get to know people...I arrived late and had a bad experience with a fellow who woke me up at 4.00 AM. One of those things really. After a little moral persuasion from me, the management did the right thing and refunded me the second night, which I cancelled at less than 48 hrs notice, which was highly commendable.

Room Tip: Well, just get to know your fellow dorm mouses in advance. It helps.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

The room was spacious, CLEAN, well outfitted. It felt so welcoming, the way the room was set up for guests with towels and the information book and the nice beds. The entire hostel was very clean and cosy. You could just tell that Kipps was actually cleaned! Comfy beds. Friendly employees. Big, clean kitchen for guest use. Great value and great price. Kipps is the best hostel at which I have stayed. I missed Kipps sorely once we arrived at our next hostel/pigsty on our trip...

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren S
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

This was my first experience of a hostel and although the place seemed very nice, the people were friendly and the grounds were great, it's really nothing like staying in a hotel!

I had no choice (as it was fully booked) to stay in a female dorm. It seemed a little small but was what I expected really, I was just glad I got a single bed in the middle of the room rather than a bunk bed!
The shower and toilet room was not that nice really rather dated, and my bedding looked a little stained, however they did lend me a towel as I had forgotten mine.

The kitchen, living room & dinning room were nice a clean and of good size. They were all also very well equipt, with TV DVD, computer internet, free coffee and tea, access to all the kitchen appliances needed, so overal very nice. I enjoyed spending time in their beautiful garden! The kitchen closed at 11pm which was annoying for me, but the living room was open until 1am to socialise quietly.

If you are used to hostels I'm sure this is a really good one and the staff were helpful although at times you weren't sure if they were guest or staff, but nice atmosphere, seemed relaxed, and they had parking facilaties. I think I would have enjoyed more if I was able to get a single room to myself.

Room Tip: Book a siungle room early, or get a group of you and book a whole dorm.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo