We stayed at Sopwell House whilst attending a family wedding here. The reception was well organised and the food offered was of excellent quality, the main course was hot and the meat was tender and tasty. The staff during the function were polite and unobtrusive, just as you would expect. The grounds are beautiful and we spent the early afternoon on the terrace with drinks and canapes, perfect. 5* for the wedding function.
We had also booked a family room for 4 and were positively surprised to be given one of their 2-storey cottages across from the main building offering ample space for 4. We had a quiet nights sleep even though the temporary beds for the kids were just suitable for a night or two. But can't complain as we were glad to be offered a family room rate,despite the kids being teens and we had ample space. The decor of the room was good, nothing special as mentioned on previous reviews, and could do with a new coat of paint. Everything was clean and the towels were of very good fluffy quality.
Breakfast was ok at most, at 9.40 it was extremely busy and no clean table available immediately. When we were finally seated we encountered some rather rude staff at the breakfast bar, which I would definitely not expect at a hotel that prides itself as "upmarket".
I am a great believer in the ethos that the customer is (almost) always right . Service was a bit slow and the food was nothing special, usual fare, although a nice selection of freshly cut fruit. We certainly enjoyed the wedding experience as guests at Sopwell House but due to some of the service issues around staff politeness we can just give a 4* review and I would probably not come to stay for a weekend break unrelated to a function as I would have higher service expectations for the price paid.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in 12 acres of tranquil gardens Sopwell House is a 4 star hotel in Hertfordshire and the former Georgian country residence of Lord Mountbatten. Once you enter this 'home away from home' our attentive staff, family friendly service and luxurious spa facilities will provide the perfect setting to your stay or event. Our Country House hotel enables you to escape from it all and is within easy reach of London, St Pancras National & International Train Station and Luton Airport. With 128 stylish bedrooms and suites including 16 soon to be completed Mews Apartments to choose from, exceptional service, delicious food and our opulent spa you'll find it hard to leave. As well as boasting 19 flexible function suites, Sopwell House has recently been awarded winner of the 2015 Conde Nast Johansens Awards for Excellence in the category 'Best for Meetings' recognising their outstanding contribution to the corporate and social world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, lastminute.com.au, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Sopwell House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sopwell House Country Club And Spa
- Sopwell House Country Club Hotel St. Albans
- Sopwell Hotel Country