All reviews wedding reception cooked breakfast train station plenty of parking family room full english breakfast wedding venue booked this hotel main building bit dated town centre lovely meal short stay breakfast was excellent one night stay no lift following morning
Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the Ardmore hotel with my two children. One being a baby. The hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming and could not do enough for us. The room was very clean and we had a comfortable stay. The food is delicious in the belverdere restaurant and highly recommended. I will be going back to visit the restaurant. Overall, it was an enjoyable stay and would recommend staying at this hotel.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2017

A terrible hotel - worn out, outdated and filthy.

As soon as you walk in you get an impression of the place. It's like a timewarp to a bad seaside hotel in the 80's. The place needs fully renovating and updating. The room I was given was filthy. Curly hairs all around and across the toilet, shower and bathroom floor. Toothpaste residue and a piece of floss in the basin, debris all over the carpet and stained bedsheets.

I asked to be moved and the second room was at least clean but it was the size of a shoe box. The paint was flaking off the radiator in the bathroom and the window frames, there were stains and splashes up the walls and doors and the bed was so uncomfortable I barely slept. Their plumbing is bad. The red tap (or at least what was left of it as the whole tap wasn't there!!) gave me hot water. The blue tap gave me warm water. Where was the cold?? Obviously the pipes run very closely together through the system. Couple that with the noise from the freight trains that pass by the hotel all through the night and it's a bad mix.

The bar area was awful with that horrible stale alcohol stink that you get when cleaning doesn't happen. The barman spent all of his time leaning on the counter chatting at reception instead of looking after the bar. If I was paying his wages I'd expect him to be working even if he didn't have any customers, especially when it the bar so obviously needs cleaning!!!!

Breakfast was overcooked and swimming in grease. I ate half of it but felt nauseas all morning as a result. On leaving the hotel and walking to my car, there was loads of food stored out in the open uncovered (next to the trollies that appear to have been stolen from Morrisons). Maybe this was just a food delivery that was waiting to be taken inside but why leave it outside at all?

One thing that confuses me is that somebody is clearly putting a lot of time, effort and money into making the outside of the hotel look nice. A total contrast to the rest of the place and I don't understand why do one and not the other?

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank BigAndy1980
Reviewed 16 October 2017

I arranged a surprise 80th birthday celebration for my husband & it exceeded my expectations. From the wonderful Prosecco & canapés on arrival to the delicious 4 course meal, I could not fault anything. The tables were set out beautifully in the private room which was bright & decorated to a high standard. The staff were fantastic and very attentive. Several guests stayed the night and we all agreed how clean & comfortable the rooms were. There was every amenity you could need. The breakfast the following morning was great with a choice of Continental or full breakfast. We all had full breakfast which was extremely tasty & not greasy. I can't thank Joe & his staff enough for everything & for making my husband's birthday so special. I would not hesitate to recommend Ardmore House & The Belvedere Restaurant to anyone. A really fabulous time was had by all.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2017

Nice hotel in a convenient location. Only a 10 minute walk to the main shopping area. Biggest downside was that our room was on the same side as the railway line and the trains are very frequent making getting to sleep a little difficult. Be sure to ask for a room away from the train line if this would be a problem for you. Rooms clean and very well presented. Bathroom very small but also clean. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was good with a small but satisfactory choice. Wifi was not working on our first night but when we asked about it the next day, they fixed it.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2017

Stayed here overnight on 7th October for a get-together with family from Norfolk and Worcester (we are from Hampshire). Bedrooms a little on the small size but spotlessly clean as were the en-suite bathrooms. Toiletries and tea/coffee making provided for your convenience.
The outstanding feature of the hotel is the Belvedere Restaurant where we enjoyed a superb evening meal, chosen from a very extensive menu with a good accompanying wine list. The Manager and his team were friendly and obliging and did everything to ensure we had a memorable evening. The stay was rounded off with a wonderful English breakfast the following morning.
We would have no hesitation in returning to the Ardmore in the future and thank the staff again for all their attention.

Maggie & Dave Smith

Room Tip: We would probably opt for a Superior room in the future.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family