“One of the worst hotels I've stayed in!”
Review of Ardmore House

Ardmore House
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 21 August 2017

I would have rated this hotel 1/5 if it wasn't for the great location! Yes the hotel is perfectly situated close to all amenities, but that is literally all that is good about the hotel!
EXTREMELY outdated!! Everything about the hotel was outdated, from the moment you walk into the reception and have to ring a bell for someone to come, to the handwritten receipts, and especially the rooms!!
So firstly, I rang the bell to seek assistance in checking in... to be greeting with a very rude lady! She made no conversation and just put a form and pen in front of me, and i assumed she wanted me to fill it out! I asked and was given a sharp YES. Very rude. I was given the key to room 12, which is the set of stairs behind the desk on the top floor ( I wasn't even asked if i wanted help to my room, with any of my bags or anything!).
When I got the room, I was instantly not impressed as I put the key in the door and had to hit the door with my foot a few times to open it! I was shocked when I got into the room and realised how small it was! You can barely move about in there, and the as for the bathroom... well just awful! The shower is tiny too!! They put a kettle in your room, Great! But the kettle doesn't even fit under the tap to fill it up! Yes that's how small the sink is, not how big the kettle is.
Parking? I wasn't even asked if i had my car, or directed to the parking! I still don't know where the parking is, I'm guessing it was all around the front of the hotel?! I just parked my car on the main road!
If anyone comes here for business I would not recommend it if you need wifi access... awful connection! I couldn't even load up my emails!
So yes, all in all I would not recommend this hotel, and it needs some serious renovation!

Room Tip: I don't think it's possible to have a good room?! Not room 12, as the door is dodgy and the...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank natalier732

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

It's the attention to detail which lets the Ardmore house hotel down the family rooms are in a cottage at the bottom of the carpark (nearest the railway line) which honestly did feel a little like urk you have kids where can we put you out of the way so you don't disturb any of our other guests...I don't think this is the way they meant to make it but that's just the way it felt. the family room looks like at some point someone has tried to bring it more into the 2000's by the colour on one wall and pictures but then got fed up with the rest the throws on the bed and curtains were busy and failed to come out of the 1980's, the wall near the bathroom looked like some water stain or something is on it (pic) the double bed and one of the single beds were on casters so they kept moving about when we turned over, the headboards banged on the wall when turning over, the lampshades had stains (pic) and the net curtains defiantly need a good wash with whitener because it looks like a forty a day smoker has been in the room (pic)... sleeping with fast trains going past every ten minutes is also extremely difficult not their fault I know but some sound proofing might be good for the cottage and you can hear everything from the upstairs guests moving about. The breakfast had smoked bacon which isn't to my families taste but the following day we chose different and it was much better and staff looked far from happy to be there'll the first day but again seemed friendlier the second. The car park was extremely busy when we first arrived making it difficult to park because they had a function on but when the function had finished there were plenty of spaces with carpark holds plenty of cars. Handy ten minute walk to st.albans city station which has great links to London.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bella120181
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I came here for dinner and I can't tell you how impressed we were. The owner/waiter was so friendly and made us feel so welcome. The menu was lovely and everything we chose was so delicious. Traditional Italian food at its best. I highly recommend anyone looking for traditional homemade food!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2017

We stayed in room 19, which was very small, but the furniture was good quality, and the room was clean. The bathroom was also small, but well presented. However I had a rotten nights sleep the mattress was hard and the pillows appeared to be inflated, so I was unable to reduce the height by rearranging them.
The breakfast offered a good choice of food, and the cooked breakfast was piping hot.
The grounds were nice and would be ideal for a wedding on a nice day, and there was plenty of parking

Room Tip: Pick a room at the back, as there is a busy main road to the front
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janetG2239JY
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Went there with my wife for one night, got to the reception, which was very small in space, people in front of us checking in, waited around 10 minutes before we checked in, we ordered a double room, when we had checked in and was walking towards the entrance door, we was told that we had a small double room, (he wasn't telling lies) our room was on the second floor, with NO lift, finally got into our room, opened the door and it was small, bathroom was very small not much room to turn around in the shower enclosure, the wash basin was about 3 foot away from the toilet.
The room was dated, although it did look as though that it had recently been painted.
The bed was very comfortable, it only had 1 pillow each, but un be known to us there was another 2 in the wardrobe. The wardrobe was very small indeed, we did notice that the throw over had a tea/coffee stain on it, so obviously hadn't been checked prior to our arrival.
Breakfast was served between 8 and 9.30 am, and the breakfast was enjoyable.
There was ample parking in the hotel, and if you was struggling to find a place there is enough parking out the front.
The main reception is NOT 24hour.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
5.5 km away
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
13.3 km away
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to Ardmore House? Share your experiences!