All reviews wedding reception cooked breakfast full english breakfast train station plenty of parking family room wedding venue booked this hotel main building bit dated town centre comfortable hotel short stay excellent breakfast food was lovely no lift comfortable stay
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Went there with my wife for one night, got to the reception, which was very small in space, people in front of us checking in, waited around 10 minutes before we checked in, we ordered a double room, when we had checked in and was walking towards the entrance door, we was told that we had a small double room, (he wasn't telling lies) our room was on the second floor, with NO lift, finally got into our room, opened the door and it was small, bathroom was very small not much room to turn around in the shower enclosure, the wash basin was about 3 foot away from the toilet.
The room was dated, although it did look as though that it had recently been painted.
The bed was very comfortable, it only had 1 pillow each, but un be known to us there was another 2 in the wardrobe. The wardrobe was very small indeed, we did notice that the throw over had a tea/coffee stain on it, so obviously hadn't been checked prior to our arrival.
Breakfast was served between 8 and 9.30 am, and the breakfast was enjoyable.
There was ample parking in the hotel, and if you was struggling to find a place there is enough parking out the front.
The main reception is NOT 24hour.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank GarryW36
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Set up for weddings and conferences. Has everything you need but it's nothing special. It's on quite a busy road so worth asking for a window that faces away from the road. It's a little walk out of the town centre

1  Thank AnnieQ70
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights. Rooms are tired but ok. Reception gave me a breakfast window of 7.15 to 8.30 but in the breakfast room it says till 9. Continental breakfast ok dont seem to top up during service. However cooked breakfast I received was swimming in oil. Didnt repeat the 2nd day.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2017

How can I possible describe how it was for me staying in the above accommodation?? Think" Fawlty Towers, Basil, with ten ingrown toenails" and you get my drift!!! I found most of the staff to be either chronically depressed/disinterested or just plain rude. The happiest person we met was the young lady who attended to the rooms and that is presumably because she's away from all the others who's melancholy must have been contagious.
The house itself is a mish/mash of additions at various times in the life of this "hotel". Most hotels won't charge £35.00 extra per night for the use of a bath but that was what I was asked to pay. I paid £70.00 extra for a room with a bath for two nights in what is advertised as a 4 star Hotel. Don't all four star hotels have bath and shower as standard?? Bed linen was clean and the odd collection of quilts were functional but did beg the question, how often are they washed?? Carpet was not clean but I travel with slippers. Bathroom was ok.
Regardless, my issue is with the reception staff and bar staff who seemed to view us all as" inconveniences" to be dispatched as quickly as possible. They operated a thinly veiled cynical approach towards us hapless paying guests. My impression was that we were a huge inconvenience in the running of the place, we should come and go silently without any interaction with staff or each other. This hotel would be best suited to a convention of" stepford wives or androids" whose switches could be tripped when deemed appropriate to the staff thus ensuring a smooth escape at 23.00 each night. Their mental clocks were primed for a quick get away at this time each evening and anything or anyone who stood in the way of that was scolded like a child.
This is the hospitality industry guys and gals, that means you must try to be polite to guests, smile even and yes, yes, it's OK to be helpful too.
Do yourself a favour and go elsewhere, unless you're doing a doctorate in psychology and require endless hours in strange aggressive human behaviour.

Room tip: Try another hotel
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
7  Thank Carmel M
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

We have just a weekend at the Ardmore and found the accommodation to a good quality. The rooms was clean and well presented. We looked at eat at the hotel in the evening but decided to eat in St Albans to get a feel of the city. The breakfast was a very good standard. I have a thing about a cooked breakfast being hot, and safe to say, this did not disappoint.
Overall we had a good stay at the Ardmore and should we need to stay close to the North of London again will definitely consider staying here again.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple