“Underwhelming”
Review of Cellar Door

Cellar Door
Ranked #13 of 254 Restaurants in Hereford
Price range: USD 7 - USD 46
Description: Cellar Door is an independent bar and bistro. Our bistro menu offers a selection of sharing boards, steaks and many other delicious options prepared from scratch by our in house chefs. . The bistro serves between 12pm and 9pm Wednesday to Saturday and Lunch between 12pm and 4pm on Sundays. The bar is open for drinks Wednesday - Sunday offering a great selection of wines, local products and fresh cocktails.
Reviewed 15 October 2017

i came in a few weeks ago on a Sunday, walked in and was met with a dull cold concrete floor that made the place feel unwelcoming. We were me at the bar by a tall blonde waitress (presume manager?) who was polite, smiley and helpful. We ordered our drinks, i had a reasonably priced pint of Heineken, two sips in a felt something brushing my lips. it was the empty plastic wrapper of cigarette filters. i just took it out and continued, i didn't feel the need to send the drink back as i didn't want to embarrass who ever poured it by failing to see the wrapper. the food came and was presented beautifully, roasties were nice and crispy, wonderful cauli cheese and Yorkshire and veg were lovely too. my biggest critic is about the star of the show, the beef. £14 i feel is a too steep for topside, especially when i was given 3 tiny over cooked sliced that was clearly from the star of a new joint. i don't like complaining in restaurants (and my girlfriend would kill me if i did!) and i hate websites like this one, the bits of the food i enjoyed were really nice it was just the things above that let it down for me. it had such potential but i just left feeling a little underwhelmed. next time i will be sure to express my views personally and i do apologise for making this review i just felt like the constructive criticism was needed. i will surely be returning for another meal in the near future though!

4  Thank Tom P

Reviewed 11 October 2017

We went for a birthday celebration meal with friends who were very impressed a place to go for a special evening.loved it

Reviewed 9 October 2017

We visted on a quiet Wednesday evening in October and had a fantastic meal.

Everything we ordered was cooked to the highest standard using the very best ingredients. We all had the 3 course option and felt that it was very good value for money. I am not sure what people are used to paying in Hereford but coming from Yorkshire, I can say the meal was very good value for money. The food was very well presented and cooked to perfection - I really can not understand the negative comments about the price. I think we are all just too used to cheap food using average ingredients and maybe if we ate less & concentrated on flavour and quality, we would realise that we are satisfied and not overeat.

The service was perfect and our waitress was engaging and had a good sense of humour. Not at all stuffy.

The chef came out to see if you had enjoyed our meal and we passed on our compliments. I really hope the locals get behind Cellar Door and make this restaurant the success that it deserves to be.

4  Thank suetop
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Heading purposefully down Widemarsh Street towards one of the pubs where we were bound to get a Sunday roast, we spotted Cellar Door with an A board outside advertising their Sunday lunches. Thinking it looked nice we popped in. Mum told me it was a former stationary shop - what a transformation into a restaurant! Menus were delivered, a nice straightforward choice of dishes, we both opted for the Lamb, which when it was delivered to us in double quick time, proved to be delicious. There was a big Yorkshire pudding and a good selection of vegetable accompaniments, cooked al dente to perfection. Possibly a little over priced at £14, the two courses option was possibly better value. Pleasant service throughout. A good addition to the Hereford dining scene.

1  Thank thehippohaslanded
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Having never visited Cellar Door before we decided to pop in for a mid morning snack. I opted for a bacon sandwich and my partner chose a sausage sandwich. I considered the cost of £5 each to be a little high but after looking at the white and brown bread options on the menu assumed it would be fresh baked bread. I was disappointed when the sandwiches arrived as perhaps wrongly I assumed the bread would be thick sliced fresh baked white or brown bread, what arrived was dry and probably what I would best describe as a specialist bread. Had the menu stated this type of bread would be used I would not have ordered and gone elsewhere. Perhaps cellar door should state the type of bread used in their breakfast sandwiches on the menu. Portion size was adequate and the accompanying pot of breakfast tea was enjoyable and enough for two to share.

5  Thank Fabio F