“On spec Sunday lunch”
Review of Cellar Door

Cellar Door
Ranked #14 of 254 Restaurants in Hereford
Price range: USD 6 - USD 45
Description: Cellar Door is an independent bar and bistro. Our bistro menu offers a selection of sharing boards, steaks and many other delicious options prepared from scratch by our in house chefs. . The bistro serves between 12pm and 9pm Wednesday to Saturday and Lunch between 12pm and 4pm on Sundays. The bar is open for drinks Wednesday - Sunday offering a great selection of wines, local products and fresh cocktails.
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Heading purposefully down Widemarsh Street towards one of the pubs where we were bound to get a Sunday roast, we spotted Cellar Door with an A board outside advertising their Sunday lunches. Thinking it looked nice we popped in. Mum told me it was a former stationary shop - what a transformation into a restaurant! Menus were delivered, a nice straightforward choice of dishes, we both opted for the Lamb, which when it was delivered to us in double quick time, proved to be delicious. There was a big Yorkshire pudding and a good selection of vegetable accompaniments, cooked al dente to perfection. Possibly a little over priced at £14, the two courses option was possibly better value. Pleasant service throughout. A good addition to the Hereford dining scene.

1  Thank thehippohaslanded

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Having never visited Cellar Door before we decided to pop in for a mid morning snack. I opted for a bacon sandwich and my partner chose a sausage sandwich. I considered the cost of £5 each to be a little high but after looking at the white and brown bread options on the menu assumed it would be fresh baked bread. I was disappointed when the sandwiches arrived as perhaps wrongly I assumed the bread would be thick sliced fresh baked white or brown bread, what arrived was dry and probably what I would best describe as a specialist bread. Had the menu stated this type of bread would be used I would not have ordered and gone elsewhere. Perhaps cellar door should state the type of bread used in their breakfast sandwiches on the menu. Portion size was adequate and the accompanying pot of breakfast tea was enjoyable and enough for two to share.

5  Thank Fabio F
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Have never been here before but we really liked the look of the place so thought wed try. Enjoyed our meal the staff were pleasant, quick service. Lovely hot breakfast we had was freshly cooked and very tasty. We will 100% be going back thank you for a lovely meal

1  Thank ja-47-ka
Reviewed 16 September 2017

We went as a party of four for the evening and found everything to be well considered, well presented and well served. The quality is in the detail - the glassware, the cutlery, the table linen. The service is excellent and the menu is designed (I presume) to make you engage and ask questions of the staff, who are knowledgeable and understand the menu. As usual with restaurants like this, you get the mid course chef's fancies, with everything made freshly on site using fresh, regional ingredients.

Then the food itself. It is modern with a real consideration for imaginative flavour combinations (liver with citrus? Who knew it was so good!). What looks a limited menu is full of surprises and delights and you need to take to time to enjoy what the chef has to offer.

Yes is it more expensive then we are used to in Hereford, yes the wine list is a touch over-priced (though the house wines go back to 'wine we are proud to put our name to' time rather than simply the cheapest). Some may consider the portions small (they may look it, but savour the mouthfuls and you will be full by the end), but the city needs places like the 'Cellar Door'.

I cannot recommend this place enough. We will be back - not often, but when the occasion demands it!

Reviewed 3 September 2017

My daughter and grandson took me out for lunch for my birthday. We were met by smiling staff and promptly seated. As I wasn't driving and being treated I had an excellent espresso cocktail. The cellar door has a small but strong menu. The food (a little pricey but you get what you pay for) was served quickly and was delicious. My grandson had cheesy pasta and loved it, he liked it because it was 'proper pasta' not twists.

1  Thank CarolBford