Holiday Inn Winchester(Winchester)(Great Value!)
USD 124
USD 106
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 123/night.

The Winchester Hotel & spa(Winchester)(Great Value!)
USD 113
USD 104
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 120/night.

The Running Horse(Winchester)
USD 137
USD 108
USD 84
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 106/night.

Marwell Hotel(Winchester)
USD 124
USD 94
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 112/night.

The King Alfred(Winchester)
USD 203
USD 183
Travelocity
1,603 results
All reviewscathedral viewprivilege roomhigh streetexcellent locationbit datedeggs benedictper daybuffet breakfastcity centrelovely cityfollowing morninglovely roomfull englishbells
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Not the prettiest of hotels but clean and adequate , some rooms getting tired with chipped tiles etc , the shower screen leaked leaving a large puddle on the floor.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
It's very well sited in the middle of town but is a bit difficult to find in the dark .
There is limited parking on site but it is very expensive , there are several public car parks within a short distance .
My only real moan is this place is expensive for what you get, all can be improved for more money apparently .
Winchester itself is well worth a visit .

Room Tip: Upgrade but it costs
Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
WMcWilliamWinchester, Owner at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Dear 425robert
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit an letting us know that the staff were very friendly and helpful.

I am sorry that you felt we were expensive for what you received. I am sure that our refurbishment which I hope you will return to see, will help you change your opinion.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I came here for 5 nights end of March for business and stairs here because it was booked by my company.
I arrived about 8.30pm and I had a group of about 10 polish people checking in in front of me with one member of staff trying to serve them about 20 min later I was checked in (even though i am a member and ment to have fat track heck in) and was told I had to pay £12 a night for parking (whitch im still waiting on a receipt for after email more than once).
I went upto my room and unpacked and was about to get into bed when I did the bed collapsed, all the base of the bed was broken on the one side, so I went down reception and informed them, they gave me a key to the room below me and so I has to pack everything up and move it at 10.30 at night, when i got into the new room it was freezing so took a while to heat up with a portable heater, also the fridge was missing and thr room was nackard literally marks everywhere carpet had no wool in it at all and was walking on the backing, if that wasn't bad enough my room looked staright into an office block over the rd so couldn't have my curtains open as everybody would see straight into my room, by this time it was 11.30 and I had to be up and ready for 8 so just went to bed.
The next day with breakfast I had to wait about 10 minutes before sombody seated me and this carried on all week, also one day it was buffet the next it was order only the next you orders so but the rest was buffet not sure what was going on at all.
Even the bar has had its day chairs falling to bits, sofas down to the backing with arms hanging off just terrible.
I have told our company never to use this place again as we normally would but people who come to see up from abroad there and we will now be using alternative accommodation.
Even the outside of the hotel is ugly and dated it seriously needs knocking down.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank griffiths123

Dear Griffiths123,
I am dreadfully sorry to hear that your experience was not a positive and that you were very disappointed with your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies and assurances that your comments have been shared with the relevant teams for consideration and action.
It is unacceptable that you had to wait so long both at check in and at breakfast and I will ensure that such delays do not occur again..

The maintenance team have addressed the issue with the bed. Unfortunately the previous guest had not advised us that there was an issue with it which would have allowed us to put it right prior to your arrival.

The issue with the rooms and bar you highlighted will be addressed with our refurbishment which was postponed last year by our previous owners. Unfortunately this may not include the provision of mini fridges which not being brand standard in our standard rooms, is why there was not one in your room.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies and appreciation for bringing your concerns to our attention .

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I had a very good experience. The location is great, right in the city centre, 3 minutes walk from the bus station and 10-15 minutes walk from the train station, right in front of the cathedral. The check-in went smoothly, the lady at the reception was very nice and helpful, the room was warm, nice and comfortable. The toilet and shower clean and working well, the linens clean and the bed very comfy. There was a big screen tv, a hairdryer, and tea/coffee making facilities. There was free wi-fi, I used it very shortly but it seemed it worked pretty well. We had also breakfast in the morning and it was very nice with plenty of choice from the self service buffet, including more food available to order from the menu at the table.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Dear Jenika I,
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated. My team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves.
I hope it won`t be too long before you return.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Central 4 star hotel, which is opposite the cathedral, so well placed for a visit. Not the prettiest building, but that is not what you god for, and a little tired round the edges. We booked through Secret Escapes at £99 for dinner bead and breakfast for a couple. Food was excellent as was the service, and we even had a four poster bed. For what we got for the money it was well worth it. The cathedral and other Winchester attractions are all close by. Well worth considering.

Room Tip: Ask fro a room with a cathedral view.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charles G

Dear Charles G,
Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your short break in Winchester and in particular for your positive comments regarding the food and service.

I am delighted to hear that we were well worth the money and worth considering as the place to stay in Winchester.

I hope that this means we will be welcoming you back in the future.

I

Reviewed 2 April 2018

How this hotel can have the audacity to claim four stars is beyond my comprehension. It has a long way to go to reach that standard.

When we arrived we found the on-site car park, being too small to accommodate all guests, was full. At a charge of £12.00 per night we were happy to park elsewhere.

My partner had to lug our luggage up the stairs to reception and left me in the foyer to arrange for someone to help us to our room with it while they went to park the car. I was advised to leave the bags in the foyer while they escorted me to our room. I do not need to be escorted to my room. I am more than capable of finding it by myself. What I wanted was help with our luggage. There being no other staff members around, I declined as I did not want to leave them unattended in the lobby.

The only good thing about our room was the comfortable bed. Everything else left much to be desired.

The bathroom was positively dangerous with numerous broken tiles, rotting woodwork in the doorway and slippery floor tiles. This was exacerbated by the leaking over-bath shower which left a pool of water that I very nearly slipped in when getting out of the bath is very deep. Why they have a bath when it is too small for anyone over three feet tall to use is also another query.

The hotel is tired and in dire need of refurbishment. The bar area is full of old couches that you sink into and are very uncomfortable. At the very least they should be reupholstered but are probably beyond that and should be replaced.

Can’t comment on other common areas of the hotel as we didn’t get to see them. It was raining so we decided to have dinner in the hotel but were told this was not possible as they were holding a wedding in the restaurant (what four-star establishment does not have a separate function room?). Why were we not advised of this at the time of booking? We had to go walking around in the rain looking for somewhere else to eat. To make matters worse, we had intended having a night cap in the bar when we returned but it too was closed.

This was the worst property we stayed in during our four-week trip to the UK. Other reviews seem to echo our sentiments. Take heed. Find somewhere else.

Room Tip: Nothing to recommend here. Find somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple