“Pretheatre dinner”

Ranked #50 of 949 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: USD 7 - USD 40
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, British, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are extremely proud to shout about our restaurant, Ovation. Proof that in-theatre dining can be sophisticated and contemporary. On the third floor of the city's Grade II Listed Mayflower Theatre, we are ideal for pre-show and selective post-show dining as well as more leisurely dining without the show. We are also the ideal restaurant for post-show dining after some matinee performances. Our dining room is modern in style with painted wood panelling, black and white stage photo prints and high backed leather seating, tables simply styled in monochrome, with polished silver and gleaming glassware. Modern European in flavour, our menu is as sleekly up to date as our surroundings with indulgent touches that give an extra sparkle to special occasion evenings. Our top notch wine list is an excellent accompaniment. It almost goes without saying that we offer extremely high quality and affordable dinner and show packages and of course our highly professional and efficient staff always ensure that if you're dining pre-theatre you will never miss curtain up!
Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

Booked table for 2 on same day prior to evening theatre. Choice of 2 or 3 courses and it arrived very promptly. Food was well presented and rack of lamb was yummy. Definitely go again

Mayflower_Theatre, Manager at Ovation, Mayflower Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Dear Bridget S,

Many thanks for your lovely review. I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable evening.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 June 2018

Went to this restaurant as part of a package deal when we went to see Miss Saigon. The restaurant is upstairs via a lift above the theatre it is a booking service so at the interval you can come back to your table and have sweet, coffee or drinks which you order before going down to watch the show. The food is nice but not above that rating and the service we experienced on the night was very good. At the interval everything was waiting that we pre ordered i.e. desert and coffee but be warned you don’t get a lot of time to relax as the bell soon goes. The restaurant itself is nice but a little tired but that did not affect the overall experience.

Dear taj552015,

Many thanks for taking the time to write us a review. I am pleased to hear you were happy with the service you received. I am glad you took advantage of returning to your table in the interval, it is a great idea!

Ovation Restaurant will be redecorated during our upcoming closure period this Summer.

We look forward to welcoming you back again when you next return to Mayflower Theatre.

Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

I booked here out of laziness, wanting to eat before the show but not be far from the venue.
Wow!
I’m so glad I booked here!

Totally fantastic food.
A great selection of starters.
We had a pork rillettes and a salmon.
Both beautifully presented and delicious.

For mains two of us had the fish. This was a huge piece in a very light batter that was not greasy at all!
Generous portions of chips, tasty peas and a lovely tartare sauce on the side.
Wolfed down by he pair of us who both agreed it was possibly the best fish we had ever had!

Our other guest had the chicken schnitzel which was another generous meal which she couldn’t actually finish.

For pudding we had a fruit tart and a chocolate cake.
These were similar to the starters with a more delicate serving and artistic presentation.

The staff were very efficient and wonderfully friendly.

As I now know they have such great food and there is a great kids menu I’ve booked here before my next show!

Cannot recommend highly enough.

1  Thank strongmum
Mayflower_Theatre, Manager at Ovation, Mayflower Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Dear strongmum,

I am glad that you found us! Thank you so much for your fantastic review. I am so pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience with us. I will pass your comments onto the team.

We look forward to welcoming you all back again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Never been here to eat before.
Food was superb as was the service.
My son's pudding was best chocolate cake he had ever tasted.
My Dad said it was best meal he had in a long time.
Would definitely recommend.

1  Thank Sheree J

Dear Sheree,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am so pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

What a lovely experience.

We had a pre-show 3 course meal and was delighted with the food and the service.

We both had a potato and parsnip gratin to start. I was a bit dubious as it had grapefruit with it. But it was delicious as it was a grapefruit purée (ish....don’t know the right word) which offset the richness of the gratin perfectly.

For mains we had seabass and chicken. Very good too. Done to perfection. The chicken was coated in Dukkah and worked really well. Mum said the fish was lovely too.

One of the really lovely things is you can have your desert in the interval. Poached peaches and rhum baba. Both delicious.

The service was attentive without being over the top. I mentioned (in passing) that the visit was an early birthday treat and they brought out this. Mum was really chuffed.

All in all a lovely experience.

1  Thank Gabriella N

Dear Gabriella N,

Many thanks for taking the time to write us such a great review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience in Ovation. I will pass your comments onto the Chefs and waiting team.

We look forward to welcoming you again when you next visit the theatre.