“Great food - friendly staff”
Review of Lakaz Maman

Lakaz Maman
Ranked #18 of 951 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: USD 7 - USD 26
Description: Welcome to Lakaz Maman Mauritian Street Kitchen, specialising in Mauritian Street Food. Owned and run by MasterChef winner Shelina Permalloo, we serve authentic recipes with a modern mauritian twist. We accept bookings and walk ins. Open 830am to 10pm every day except Sunday (12-6pm)
Reviewed 19 July 2018

I go here whenever friends or family visit. Always excellent. My sis is coeliac so always a bit nervous about eating out so reassured by the clearly labelled menu and blown away by the fantastic food. Sticky tamarind lamb ribs and red snapper cari terrific. Staff always lovely. The only restaurant I have ever had and used a loyalty card.

Hi The_Elegance

I love hearing that you bring friends and family here as and when they visit. That is a huge compliment to us!

I am so pleased we were able to cater to your sisters dietary requirements. I strongly feel that no matter what your requirements are flavour should never have to be sacrificed :)

Thank you for you coming back time after time and being a loyal customer...you'll be pleased to hear there will be new additions to the menu soon so watch this space for new dishes to try.

I look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 17 July 2018

Went here for a family meal last night and can honestly say one of the best meals I'v ever had. Such a lovely atmosphere, friendly staff headed up by Shelina herself, her knowledge and passion for food has definitely been translated to her chef and staff as the food was sensational.
We had the a mixture of starters including the mixed seafood starters and the grilled octopus. The octopus was like nothing I have had in this country before, it was a huge grilled tentacle cooked to perfection with the most delicious delicate flavours.
For main we had a selection of the house specialities including the Rougaille, the Magic Bowl and the House Cari with roti on the side and the mutton burger which was a winner with the crispy sweet potato fries. All were absolutely delicious and plentiful. Somehow had room for dessert, you have to try the Coco Bun. We bought in some beer and wine and paid a small corkage fee which is a great idea, but also tried the virgin mojito's and pina coladas which were gorgeous and again crammed with yummy flavours. The presentation was beautiful and tasted just as good. It was a gorgeous summer evening but felt like we were on holiday with the great atmosphere as the place was packed which is great for a Monday evening.
Will definitely be back in the near future and would recommend to anyone who loves good service and great food.

Reviewed 15 July 2018

On a day shopping at West Quay, we decided to take the 15 minute walk to Lakaz Maman – and we’re so glad we did! We wouldn’t normally have three courses at lunchtime but there were so many things we wanted to try. The mixed vegetarian starter was especially good – we loved the fresh pineapple with tamarind, mint and chilli – but all the food was fresh, unusual, and very tasty. The atmosphere is relaxed and the service very friendly. Highly recommended.

Hi Steve_and Karen_B

Thank you for coming to visit us during your shopping trip.

I love that you had 3 courses at lunch time...that's a huge compliment to us that you wanted to try something of each course!

Do come back and visit us soon as the new menu will be out very shortly! Lots more for you to try :)

Thank you for a great review and for 5 stars. I really appreciate you taking the time to come on Trip Advisor and for recommending us!

Reviewed 14 July 2018

We arrived on a sunny evening thus putting us in a Mauritian mood. Great starters - we had a sharing platter, light little samosa, succulent fresh pineapple with a spicy sauce, lovely little falafel-like balls. All so tasty and beautifully cooked. I had a veggie curry which I enjoyed. Nicely presented (although don't like mocktails in jam jars - what is it with jam jars?). The real thrill was the puddings- unusual ones you'll never see anywhere else and so good. I'll be back - if only for the puddings, and the rest. There were all the usual suspects of course - hamburgers etc. but with a little mauritian twist - so something for everyone. I don't know why this is labelled at $$-$$$. No ways it's that. Good value for the tastiness. I gather booking is a bit of an issue at peak time due to its popularity - no problem - just go on a less busy evening. We'll be back to try the brunch.

Hi clickawick

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do appreciate this as it really helps us as a small independent restaurant.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your starters and main course....what pudding did you try? We are updating the menu so there will be some new exciting additions :)

I very much appreciate your comment about our food being good value for the taste.

I look forward to welcoming you back for brunch. Thursday to Sunday we open for breakfast and brunch from 08.30am.

Reviewed 14 July 2018

A little gem, very relaxed little venue, nice vibe, and extraordinary food. I have never experienced these flavour combinations before, and was pleasantly surprised, the menu has so much choice, will definitely be back to sample some more. Staff were friendly and professional, can't recommend this place highly enough. Deserves to do well.

Hi Jason S

It was an absolute pleasure reading your comments. Thank you for 5 stars!!

What dishes did you have? I will be sure to pass on your comments to our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

As you mentioned the menu has so much choice we are actually in the process of updating this with some new exciting dishes, as soon as the new menu is finished we will be sure to communicate this via social media.

Thank you again for such a rave review and recommendation.