“Wonderful staff”

The Dolphin
Ranked #240 of 723 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: USD 3 - USD 23
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Dolphin, Portsmouth. We’re Portsmouth's oldest pub; traditional with some modern essentials, located right in the heart of the City. We offer free Wi-Fi, great food and a varied range of real ales and refreshing beers. The Dolphin is equipped with a fantastic beer garden to the back of our pub, perfect for those spring and summer evenings. Families with young children are welcome to dine with us until 9pm.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Firstly I'd like to start off by saying Nathan behind the bar is an absolute treat as are all the staff. Very helpful and friendly. You're treated like a local even if it's your first time visiting.

4  Thank mtvcity2
022123, Manager at The Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Dear MTVCITY2

We thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Dolphin .

We are very glad that Nathan and the team gave you great service which we strive to accomplish.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon .

Best wishes

KM

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Our very first visit to the Dolphin to eat and it will probably be our last.
We regularly visit the pub to have a drink and always enjoy the beer and atmosphere. Unfortunately the food is no way near good enough.
We both opted to share a couple of the small plates followed by the roast beef.
The small plates were ok but the batter on the squid was far to thick and heavy and masked the taste of the squid.
The Roast beef was a massive let down. The roast potatoes were so hard you could barely cut them and tasted very greasy so would have to suspect they had been dropped in the deep fat fryer. The stuffing was strangely soggy and the vegetables lacking anything to make them more exciting than being boiled vegetables.
We won’t be deterred from visiting the dolphin but it will be for a drink only

2  Thank Eattravelreview
022123, Manager at The Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Dear Eattravelreview

Thank you for your review we appreciate all reviews and we are very sorry we did not meet your expactations on this occasion .

We are glad you enjoyed the small plates .The roast potatoes are fresh potatoes and roasted in the oven and not deep fried so i will investigate further into why your potatoes were greasy.

We are very sorry you had a bad experience and we thrive to giving great customer experience and great food , i would like to offer my apologies and ask you come back to give us another try .

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon

kind regards

KM

Reviewed 2 April 2018

So we were visiting friends and they d suggested the Dolphin pub as there was supposed to be a peaky blinder evening with live music! We d even phoned ahead to make sure! This was actually a DJ who played the theme tune to Peaky blinders! Very dissapointing!
The pub and restaurant weren t that busy for a Saturday night so We decided to order food, I ordered one of the stone baked pizzas with sunblushed tomatoes , prosscuitio ham, and rocket! When the pizza arrived it had all the above on the pizza although tiny amounts of each, but what I was very dissapointed with and what I consider to be a main ingredient on a pizza was CHEESE there wasn t ANY?? I asked the very friendly bar girl who quickly took my pizza back to the chef, She then brought it back with a sprinkle of cold grated cheese what I can only describe as thrown on! And was told thats how the pizza comes! I then asked if the cheese could at least be melted on the top! This did happen eventually!
On a good note my husband had the burger which he said was good
but had no salad and to be honest not many chips!
The steak and chips came with a tomato as garnish! Rubbish!
I think the Chef was either having a bad day . Or has not actually tasted what they re cooking !
It certainly felt like whoever was in the kitchen has lost interest!
We won t be back much better places to eat in Southsea!

1  Thank Ian S
Reviewed 26 March 2018

We have popped into this pub on a couple of occasions and tried some of the light bites off the menu which we thought were delicious, especially the Mac n' cheese balls. Given we've had decent food there in the past we thought we would give it a go for Sunday Lunch.

First off, order got mixed up so our main arrived before the starter, we ended up cancelling the starters - I want to stress at this point the staff were really nice and friendly and although it wasn't overly busy they did seems a little stretched, there were only 2 people to run the bar and the restaurant area. It was the friendliness of the staff that prompted me to give this a poor rather than a terrible review.

The dinner, oh dear. It was cheaply priced at £8.75 and I guess you do get what you pay for. The beef, there was loads of it but it appeared to have been hacked off the joint with blunt spoons. Some slices were an inch thick, others looked torn off and the most memorable bit was a cube of meat that resembled a mini rubix cube. It was also sinewy and fatty, we could'nt cut it, we struggled to chew it and despite roast beef being one of our favourites myself and my better half both left more than half of it.

The potatoes (or 3 bit of potatoes) were dry, tepid, chewy and I do wonder how often they had been heated up and cooled again - nice taste of rosemary off them but the spuds couldn't live up to it. Cauliflower, it was lukewarm at best. Carrots and cabbage were probably the highlights of the dish which I think says a lot. Stuffing was OK and the gravy had a nice flavour, but again was lukewarm.

I love a Yorkshire pudding and these ones would have been OK had the top edge not been charred to a crisp, again, this was only half eaten.

We did comment to the waitress as we left and she was very apologetic. We didn't make anything too formal of it as there seemed a bit of confusion in the place. Someone was having a meal next to us and his dinner was lacking spuds and there were quite a few unfinished plates dotted around the pub.

So overall, the pub is lovely, the staff seemed to be doing their best but the food was utterly abysmal. If we do pop back to The Dolphin I think it will just be for a drink.

2  Thank S0lent76
Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

Well where do I start really the food was bland either over or under cooked

Seemed rushed and no care given, this pub used to be amazing place such a shame gone down hill.

Maybe invest in getting new chefs who can cook and who have passion as the ones you have now don’t have a clue,
I can’t see you getting back to where it was at this rate such a shame.....

2  Thank Choice89