“Excellent ”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The genuine French Restaurant of Cheltenham
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Whilst the outside is somewhat inauspicious the inside is pleasant - and then the food arrives and it is simply amazing! A meal of incredible quality and impeccable presentation - I can not recommend one thing from them menu for they were all looking incredible and tasted better! Go-eat-enjoy!

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 30 March 2018

We went a couple of weeks ago after hearing mixed, but mostly positive reviews. First impressions were good, it was busy and i liked the atmosphere. It's quite an odd place but i think that is intentional, and after reading the chef's colourful and aggressive responses to reviews on here i can see it is a reflection of him/her. The food was tasty but presented in such an odd way, you get your meat with a generic plate of confused side dishes that despite tasting nice, look rather unnappetising. The mousse/puree thing in the upside down cupcake shape was bizarre and reminded me of baby food. The other components were nice and cooked well. Also the dessert was described as a white chocolate dome, but there was no dome! To me it feels extremely dated but apparently every french town still has one of these eccentric 80s style restaurants flogging their dead horse, so why can't Cheltenham have one too? The reason i've given 2 stars instead of 3 was that we paid £155 for 2 people, which included 2 decent bottles of wine and 2 starters, 2 mains and one dessert. After spending that much i would like to be leaving raving about the food, as opposed to just thinking that it was tasty. I think the chef is good but it just wasn't for us.

5  Thank thedarkprince
Reviewed 22 March 2018

We dined here for a family occasion and were very pleased that we did.
We had a variety of starters including the very tasty scallops. Our mains were included fillet steak, trio of lamb and sea bream all beautifully presented and tasty. The desserts of crème brulee and sorbets were as expected.
The service was excellent with a good atmosphere.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 20 March 2018

Five of us went to dinner for the first time to L'Artisan restaurant, and met by the lovely Lady of the House. Herself and her husband Chef and the proud owners of this fine restaurant, both French, and had a super young waiter that really knew the menu, would not be surprised if he also was a budding chef and owner in the making. We only got his name because we asked him to write it for us Valentin. The food was unbelievable and great value, We sat upstairs in the nice room on a round table overlooking the street. we arrived at 6.30 and left at 12 midnight first in and yes last out. The chef also came out to spoke with us which was very nice. Really super food five bottles of lovely wine and the bill we felt was not expensive for all we had at £350.00. Well done and we'll be back next November and March 2019. and well done again to Valentin.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

My second visit to L’Artisan, both on Gold Cup days. Standards have remained at the top of the class. Wonderful food created by Yves, I have no idea how he can make food so luxuriously tasty, and presented by Elisabeth and her fantastic team. Nothing is too much trouble for them.
Homemade bread and an incredible butter were brought out before we started our food. Everyone, all nine, were taken back with the fab flavours.
My starter was a glorious dish of scallops and prawn. Well worth trying.
The lamb trio main course was also stunningly good and apparently the fillet steak, which a few of the guys had was amazing.
My meal was so good I have booked a table in August when I will go with my wife who can also experience fine dining at its best.
Thank you to your whole team, it was magical.