“Fantastic overnight stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Chester House Hotel
Birmingham
“Fantastic overnight stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

I booked this hotel on a KGBdeals offer a few months ago and took the offer up yesterday. Upon arrival around midday we went in and asked if we could leave our car in the car park as we could not check in until 2pm. The receptionist was most helpful and gave us a car park pertmit to use for the duration of our stay.

Upon check-in, we were given our room, no. 25 and was pleasantly surprised how nice it was after seeing some reviews on trip advisor. The bed was HUGE, the bathroom was clean and modern and the furniture was shabby chic. Plenty of drink sachets to choose from, biscuits and 2 x bottles of water.

We had a late lunch at the hotel, a baguette each and then we had our cream teas which were part of the deal and left there very full and satisfied. We didnt eat there on the evening or at The Croft but ate at the Chinese restaurant next door which served a very nice, reasonably priced buffet.

Breakfast was ample, freshly cooked and delicious. Plenty of buffet style cereals, croissants, yogurts, fresh fruits to choose from before or after your breakfast too!

Would definitely stay here again as staff were very friendly and helpful and the location of the hotel is right in the heart of the very beautiful Bourton on the Water.

2 Thank Gail1969

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

We chose to eat here after leaving the crowds on the High street on a busy, sunny Sunday afternoon. Lovely interior with big brown leather sofa's & chunky wooden tables. With a main bar area & couple of open plan rooms leading off, we however went into the peaceful garden. Only a few table outside, but we were lucky.
Just a snack & drink, but we were really pleased with it.
My wife thoroughly enjoyed her Ceasar salad & I had what I can only say was one of the best burgers I've ever had. Done to perfection, but still moist.
The staff worked very hard on what was a scorching Sunday...Well done!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

As regular visitors to Bourton on the Water when we saw this hotel on a discount site we grabbed a booking straight away, the reviews were very good and we were expecting an excellent stay. It was so poor if we had paid the full rate we would have complained directly to the manager. Our room was very shabby, mold in the bathroom, the radiator caked in rust, wardrobe DIY made and unfinished on the inside, carpets and bedding etc had seen better days. Breakfast was awful, a children's size portion with the smallest sausage I have ever seen! And the coffee was disgusting, instant would have been an improvement. After reading previous reviews we booked a table at the Croft, although the service was good the food was mediocre, the vegtable lasagne all pasta and minimal vegetables and we wished we had eaten at our usual place round the corner.
We normally stay at Moreton in the Marsh and as a comparison the hotel there offers a Sunday special of 3 course Sunday lunch with a bottle of wine a feature room (extra charge) with fantastic modern bathroom and lovely decor, full English breakfast adult portion for just a couple of pounds more than the Chester's full price approx £134.00 for 1 nights bed &breakfast it's hard to believe that just because it's in Bourton it can command such high prices.
A very disappointing experience.

5 Thank weekender03
dhmanagement, Owner at Chester House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
I am sorry that these guests felt that they had a poor experience at our hotel.
The guests booked with the KGB voucher site and paid £49 for two people to stay with breakfast and afternoon tea.
The deal was based on a 'good' double in our hotel and these rooms are usual rated at £90.00 for two people including breakfast, as you can appreciate this was a great saving for them.
Our rooms are in no way shabby, all rooms have had new carpets and new beds in January 2012. All rooms were re painted in January 2012. We have an off site laundry company who delivers all our room stock 3 times a week.
We have an extremely conscientious housekeeping team, who take huge pride in ensuring all rooms are clean and welcoming for all our guests.
I move onto our food, unfortunately for some guests, our superior produce that is all free range and local does not always provide them with enormous portion sizes, we believe that quality overrules quantity, however that said, guests are always welcome to ask for more! Our coffee is an award wining local roaster with excellent reviews, so to brand it disgusting is astonishing.
It is unfortunate that at not one point did the guests bring any of their 'problems' to our attention as we would have happily rectified them.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Booked the hotel over the counter after reaching Bourton on water.Spacious room no 20 on the ground floor itself..comfortable bed and a modern bathroom with all fixtures and fittings.It had a cosy lounge and sitting area which felt like someone's living room.The best part of the hotel was that they had loads of toys and things to do for young children which kept my 3 yr old quite busy for a while!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank PreeaKumar
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

I know there are so many fantastic reviews for this hotel but maybe I stayed on one of their 'bad weeks' or maybe I was in a parallel universe! I know I wasn't staying in a five star hotel, I wasn't asking for valet service, help carrying my bags to my room or air conditioning but there are some things that even the most basic hotel should offer. In my book no.1 in any establishment is cleanliness. The cleanliness in my bedroom wasn't good, it was pretty grotty. Mold growing in the shower door seal, bed throws with stains and my most memorable moment was moving the bedside table lamp and a very dead and very dusty fly fell on my pillow case.

If you stay in a family room please put a request in that it isn't the one that overlooks the back of the chinese takeaway next door as their fan goes on very late and the wafts of egg friend rice that float in through your window at 11pm is pretty smelly but most of all really very noisy.

I will say their 'branding' is fabulous and they have obviously spent a lot of money on it, it looks great but it is such a shame that they haven't put the same amount of effort into other areas that really are in greater need.

If I could change one little thing I would say Chester House Hotel sort your breakfast coffee out, just because it comes in a cafeteria doesn't mean its nice coffee. Its cheap and a sachet of nescafe would be an improvement! To tell the difference, have a cup at breakfast then walk across their hallway to their 'coffee/bar' area and pay for a coffee there, its gorgeous and the difference says it all.

A real shame.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank insearchofpeace
It is very unfortunate that these guests had such an unpleasant time in our hotel.
What is so difficult for us however is that during the 4 nights that these guests stayed with us, not once did they mention any of their grievances to us, despite every morning and afternoon our staff including myself, checked on them all to see how they were and if they were having a good time.
It is very difficult therefore to comprehend this truly terrible experience that they had with us, when during the 4 nights, nothing was said.
We unfortunately cannot help or rectify anything our guests are unhappy with, unless it is bought to our attention. We run a very friendly team here, and under no circumstances would or should anyone feel that they could not approach us.
I can only apologise to these guests on Tripadvisor and would happily have done so had they spoken to myself or any of my team during their stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bourton-on-the-Water
2.0 km away
#1 of 1 in The Slaughters
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews
4.3 km away
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
2.0 km away
The Slaughters Manor House
The Slaughters Manor House
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Chester House Hotel? Share your experiences!