USD 301
USD 269
YHA South Downs(Lewes)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 30/07
USD 99
  • Breakfast included
USD 111
1,114 results
All reviewsexecutive roompanelled dining roombubble and squeakparking spacehigh streetbridal suiteeggs benedictsouth downswine listold housestreet parkingfull englishlovely gardenshower roomsalmonlarge roomrailway station
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Visited Pelham House for breakfast to meet up with family. It was a varied menu in a great setting, close to the town.
The service was excellent and although it was for breakfast there was no hint of asking us to move on even though we stayed at our table for a very long time chatting. The staff were great and certainly did not pester us to order more drinks or food. That made it such a fantastic experience to enjoy the company of others in a lovely hospitable hotel.

Stayed: December 2017
Daniel R, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Thank you Sandra for your review of our hotel.

It is a pleasure to see that we were able to make your experiance a good one. At Pelham House Hotel we do all we can to ensure every visit with us is a positive one and reviews such as yours make our work all that much easier knowing that you and your guests are going away happy. I will pass your comments on to my team as I am sure they will be happy to read them.

Sandra, should you be looking to visit us again please contact me directly on 01273 488600 or gm@pelhamhouse.com and I will be happy to make your reservation.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed for a night and had a good deal and thought it was a really lovely hotel. We got parked on the road nearby without any problems but it was a Bank Holiday. The building is beautiful and our room (3) was clean and tasteful. Bed comfy too. The staff were really helpful and even opened the bar for us and our friends when we got back late. There was no noise and we slept well. Breakfast was nice and the Elizabethan panelled room is amazing. Good value and we enjoyed staying in such a gorgeous old house. Lewes is great to explore too!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank carpenfish

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I thank you for your kind comments, which are always a welcome read for me. I am pleased to see that your experience with us was an enjoyable one and I look forward to being able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Should you be looking to visit us again please contact me directly on 01273 488600 or gm@pelhamhouse.com and I will be happy to make your reservation.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We booked for a little break before Easter weekend. First impressions were great. The front entrance and reception are smart and inviting and we were lucky to get one of the coveted parking spaces for our stay. Our room was in the main building and was compact with a comfy bed. The shower was all mouldy round the tiles and we reported this to reception.

A tasty breakfast and a great location- this is a perfect spot to explore Lewes. However, the hotel just feels a little unloved, it’s very plain and our bedroom window was draughty. It needs colour, art and soft furnishings to bring it alive. A beautiful building - could be so much more. Needs some wow factor.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skichick09

Thank you for your review of our hotel

I am sorry to see that your stay with us did not match the standard that we try to reach for every guest who stays with us. I do thank you for your criticism however, as comments such as yours allow us to address problems and have them looked at and righted at the first possible chance. Myself and my team are committed to improving the hotel and I hope that should you visit Lewes again that you will consider staying at Pelham House Hotel as we would be delighted to welcome you back in the future to hopefully note the improvements we are making

Again I extend my apologies to you for your stay..

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We had our wedding at Pelham House on Saturday the 24th March. Firstly, and most importantly, we had a great day and all our guests had an amazing time. However, we experienced a series of issues that cumulatively made the day a lot more stressful for the Bride and Groom than it needed to be. In isolation, most of the issues experienced were minor but the frequency that they were experienced was frustrating. In summary: attention to detail and organisational skills appear to be lacking in certain areas.

The positives: the venue is great; the staff are very friendly, approachable and importantly reacted to our requests / grievances. A last minute request by the best man to add welcome drinks was dealt with very promptly. The food was very good and went down well with our guests. The bridal suite was lovely and the majority of guests were happy with their rooms.

The ‘issues’:

We were told that we would have a ‘dedicated Wedding Manager’ who ‘would be with us every step of the day’. This was very important as like most couples we had never been married before and took comfort that there would be someone there on the day to help keep everything running smoothly. Unfortunately, they were AWOL until the Wedding Breakfast at 4pm and then we only knew who they were when we introduced ourselves to them! For the first half of the day their absence was telling.

We had arranged for the bridal party to have breakfast brought to their room while they got ready. Cold toast arrived with no butter or cutlery. I (the groom) then arrived to find no red carpet welcome. This was annoying as we had made it clear we wanted to ensure that guests received a special welcome, which had been assured by the Hotel. The poor lady on reception (the only staff member available for most of the morning) was doing her best to listen to my requests to get the red carpet and also to book guests into the hotel.

Upon arrival, there was a series of disputes between wedding party guests and general guests over parking spaces. We had been told that on our Wedding Day parking was ‘exclusively’ for the wedding. However, it appears that the Hotel had also been selling rooms that morning for general guests with parking! As you can imagine, the last thing you want to do on the morning of your wedding is to get involved in parking disputes. Where were the staff? Where was our Wedding Manager?!?

The wedding party were taken into the ceremony room and essentially left for circa 30mins until the Bride arrived. The bride will clearly arrive when she was ready. However, the room was hot with no apparent ventilation. People were unsure whether they could open the fire exit door and, with no staff available, just left it shut and proceeded to get hotter and hotter. The next part is frankly unforgivable. The budget Bush sound system had turned itself into standby mode so when the bride went to enter the room the music came out of the phone instead of the speakers. Had a member of staff been in the room they ‘could’ have resolved this instantly rather than leaving a bunch of wedding guests frantically trying to figure out how to turn it back on.

The wedding party were then left to aimlessly wander around the corridors with only the third party photographer trying to direct the group to the patio area ‘reserved for the wedding’. We then had an uncomfortable time telling other guests who had set up in the reserved area that we would prefer for them not to be in our wedding photographs! Some simple early intervention from the Wedding Manager to discuss and advise (what we thought we were getting) could have really helped this part of the morning. For example, they could have asked key questions “where will you head to immediately after the ceremony?”, “where do you want the exit drinks to be handed out?”, “what exit will you be using from the ceremony room?”.

Things did begin to improve from here. Magician Alex James arrived and he and the Photographer Simon Stewart essentially became the Wedding Managers, adding some missing structure to the morning and getting the celebration going.

I am very mindful that I have already amassed a rather large word count so I’ll be brief with listing the remaining issues:

• The food, while very good, was nothing like the menu tasting. The starter and dessert were unrecognisable;

• Larger children’s portions agreed for teenagers never materialised;

• There was no wireless microphone for the speeches! Consequently, the speakers had to leave the top table and go and stand at the bottom corner of the room by the DJ booth! Resulting in no traditional wedding photos of the speeches.

• The hotel was trying to charge wedding guests over £200 for rooms instead of the agreed rate of £150.

• There was only one full size towel in the bridal suite! Small but reflective of overall attention to detail unfortunately.

We accept that no day is perfect and that things happen. Indeed had we only experienced a couple of issues I probably would not have included them in this review. However, having discussed the day with my wife we felt the hotel needed this feedback to avoid future wedding parties from experiencing similar issues on their special day.

This is also not intended to be personal criticism of any individual member of staff. We clearly expected the role of Wedding Manager to add more value to the day. Admittedly, we did not have ushers, however, I’m not sure that this would have made any difference as nobody was around to advise them. Indeed neither the best man nor I were given any advice on the day other than how to connect our phone to the stereo system.

The venue appears to hold many weddings and we took real comfort from the numerous positive reviews. Maybe complacency crept in on our day as for the first few hours the key wedding staff were simply not contributing. Some minor changes could really make a big difference.

The option of a good rating is not available otherwise we would have selected it. Average is a bit harsh and very good is not warranted. 3.5/5.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Ricki M
Daniel R, General Manager at Pelham House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thank you Ricki very much for your valued feedback regarding your recent wedding at Pelham House Hotel.

I am extremely sorry for the experience that you feel you have had with us, but I am also very surprised that you have chosen to publish this on TripAdvisor before giving myself and my team the opportunity to investigate the issues you have had. I personally spoke to yourself, Zoe and your best man on numerous occasions during your special day and every time I was assured what a wonderful day you were having. I also understand that my Food & Beverage Manager spoke to you on check out and you didn’t highlight anything to her also from your review.

Please could I ask that you make contact with me via email so we can arrange a suitable time to discuss your special day in more detail either over the phone or face to face. My email address is gm@pelhamhouse.com.

Thank you again for your feedback and I very much look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

My partner and I stayed here on Friday 23rd March as he was best man at a wedding being held at Pelham House. The wedding was fantastic, the venue stunning and the staff really helpful. The breakfast the next day was delicious.
Unfortunately we were allocated room 25 in the Mews building, paying £120 for the night as part of the wedding party. A fairly small room, with the door opening onto the car park. The furniture was looking quite tired - varnish worn away on from the wooden tops, the loo looked like it was coming away from the wall a bit, and the wood panel by the shower was going mouldy. There's tea and coffee making facilities and there was actually a lot of milk for a change! But one bottle of water, and one biscuit is a bit tight! The room was hot one minute, cold the next (the radiator numbers didn't seem to correspond to the heat it was giving out!) and the electric radiator in the wardrobe was a clue that it would get chilly! When I got back to the room after the wedding, I was going to open the window, but with people milling about outside our door smoking and chatting I decided not to. Maybe management could put signs up to ask guests not to smoke outside people's rooms?
I don't think the Mews rooms should be the same price as the ones in the main hotel. I was also shocked to see after we'd booked the room through the hotel stating we were with the wedding party we could've booked separately for less money! Room was not worth the £120.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Mews building, and definitely not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you Chockagirl for your constructive feedback regarding our hotel.

I am very disappointed to read your review. I am sorry to see that we did not come up to your expectation and where unable to reach the high standards we normally hold ourselves to at Pelham House Hotel.

Again I extend my apologies to you and do hope you will reconsider using our hotel in the future.