“Outstanding attention to detail! My favourite place to eat in Brighton”
Review of SILO Brighton

SILO Brighton
Ranked #182 of 1,221 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A pre-industrial food system... At Silo we choose to provide quality through purity, adopting a more primitive diet with techniques both modern and ancient. We choose food sources that respect the natural order, allowing ingredients to be themselves without unnecessary processing. By creating everything on site from its wholest form we can capture real food, and real food tastes better. Silo is designed from back to front, always with the bin in mind. The production of waste has been eliminated by simply choosing to trade directly with farmers, using re-usable delivery vessels and choosing local ingredients that themselves generated no waste. Our compost machine set inside Silo, turns all of our scraps and trimmings directly into a compost used to produce more food... Closing the loop.
Reviewed 4 January 2016

I have been to Silo a few times now, the last occasion was NYE 2015. We had the 6 course tasting menu. Each course delicious and full of flavour. The staff had outstanding attention to detail and couldn't do enough for us.

A truly faultless experience!

Reviewed 3 January 2016

Went with a small group to Silos yesterday after hearing good things about the cuisine and ethos - was met by a rude waitress who forgot that she seated us, didn't provide menus until we requested them, then ignored us for the next 15 minutes! We walked out and instead dined at one of our favorites where we were promptly served and enjoying a lovely meal in less time than we sat bored at Silos. What a shame, will not be returning to try again.

4  Thank Kay P
JodiPenny, Manager at SILO Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2016

Hi Kay P,

We're really disappointed to hear that you had this experience when you last visited Silo. I can only put your experience down to human error as we can assure you that these aren't the standards of Silo. We pride ourselves on creating a welcoming environment with friendly yet efficient staff so further training will be implemented to ensure these mistakes do not happen again.

I do hope you revisit us again and give us another try and find a vastly improved experience awaiting you.

Kind Regards,
Silo Brighton

Reviewed 30 December 2015 via mobile

Visiting Brighton for two days solo and I'd spotted this place via Social Media. I wanted to try it for lunch and was not disappointed. Initially I didn't know what to make of it and its ethic, but if there's one thing I love it's being pleasantly surprised. I cannot fault it at all...I had lemonade (tasted lavender-infused) and two starters which were excellent. Who would have thought that something as simple as Jerusalem artichoke, Sussex Blue and ferments could be so delicious? Really nice ambience...as a solo traveller it's nice to gauge your surroundings. I cannot wait to visit again to try more of Silo's amazing offerings- I urge anyone visiting Brighton to do the same.

1  Thank Favethings
Reviewed 29 December 2015

I hesitated between a 3 and a 4 for this cafe restaurant. Really, it's ecological credentials definitely deserve a 4 - it's attempt at zero waste and it's sourcing of natural ingredients for example. In the last year some of it's gadgetry has disappeared however - the menus are no longer projected onto the walls (an 'immersive experience,' I was told at the time) and the sterilising hand-thingy in the loo is out-of-order. The seats are still made of chipboard - 3 for comfort. And a 3 for table management. We were seated at a table and given menus, then told the table was booked in half an hour (no signs), then moved in the middle of our meal although lots of other tables had come free. 3 for service too - we had to remind the wait-staff, who were chatting to each other, that our coffees had been made and were cooling in another room.
The food deserves a 4 - there is a small but imaginative menu of main courses ('plant,' 'dairy,' 'fish' or 'meat') with the option of a set menu including starters and puddings at lunch, as well as sandwiches and cakes. The soft drinks look like biological samples in their jam-jars (hipster cliche - time to move on!) and the food is served on plates made from recycled carrier bags. Silo is buzzy and fun, but will have to think about keeping fresh in the fickle and restless Brighton cafe scene.

3  Thank hittheroadjac
Reviewed 28 December 2015 via mobile

My partner and I visited here and thought it was great, I'm not the foodie of the couple but my other half was in his element. We were lucky enough to be seated at the 'bar' area where the chefs were cooking and whenever they served us a course they would give us some information on what had gone into the food and key points on it. I think a large part of this restaurant's charm originates in the small touches; from the bread baked by them to the taps in the restrooms which don't require soap - it's a well thought out place which brings you a great dining experience and not just good food.