“A short term attitude”

Ranked #70 of 1,309 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: USD 10 - USD 19
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Busby and Wilds is a family owned, neighborhood public house, which prides itself on its quality of ingredients; all freshly prepared to order. We have a love of Food and Drink, all at a reasonable price in a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere.
Reviewed 27 February 2018

We arrived in good time for an early Sunday lunch as midday was the only table available. The welcome was warm and we were all set for a happy get together at a good local restaurant. However, the wait was longer than acceptable; meanwhile, the room was steaming up and not in a good way. An unpleasant fatty smell does not keep the taste buds tingling! Once our food arrived, all was well though I noticed immediately we had few fresh vegetables. Plenty of roast potato and huge Yorkshire puddings (why are these always served, even with shoulder of lamb?) Never mind, I thought, I'll ask for more cabbage. But no! Apparently the portions are all controlled and the waitress patiently explained to me, as though I was at school, that if we had more vegetables there would be none left for everyone else. What kind of peculiar restaurant is this? I'm afraid I was incensed by such a daft attitude to my request. All smiles and then such pettiness. Pudding was fine an, by then, our request to open a window (no) but a door (yes) had been noted. My tip reflected the feeling that meanness is probably contagious. Please don't forget who pays for the vegetables, especially when the bill for Sunday lunch for 3 is nearly £90.

1  Thank BathCharlie
Emily A, Owner at Busby and Wilds, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Hello,
The beloved irony is that I had actually asked the kitchen to refire your table (causing the extra delay) as the portion of vegetables wasn't up to our normal standards, I have started saying no occasionally to extra veg when there is more than enough sent out. We are an independent family run establishment with extremely tight margins & I pay the bills. We have on a number of instances had to stop serving as we didn't have enough vegetables left & severely affected our bottom line. Our windows do not open, not sure why that is a problem, an open door works just the same. I would also add that Sunday lunch for 3 is around £45- and I did not add service to you table as your cheery disposition was a tip enough for us!
Interestingly the glorious review previous to this was in at exactly the same time as this lady.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

What a lovely airy New England style restaurant...Delightful staff and the Beef Roast was a Divine....I got a table without a reservation so I was very grateful for their kind hospitality...I walked away very very happy....Unlike many popular restaurants the portions were Large so it was the perfect combination....Delicious food that was also excellent value for money....and very filling...Its rare I turn down the cheese board but I was full...A lovely walk on the front is the ideal digestivo.....

2  Thank Dayworker

So glad you enjoyed it. Was our pleasure indeed.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Visited with friends ahead of the Brighton half, had a decent enough dinner but sadly somewhat lacking overall. We had fish & chips, fish pie and a burger with a selection of starters.

Portions quite small, starters were nice but the mains were quite bland with stingy portions. Staff nice enough but slow service (20 mins before we ordered food).

Good selection of ales and wine, and a very nice ambiance, so maybe one for drinks and snacks rather than dinner. Sadly the kitchen smell also stayed with me all the way home also.

1  Thank HattyB

Hello
I have say we are somewhat bamboozled by this review. B&W have never been accused of being stingy, if anything we get that our portions are too big. I'm not actually sure if we could make them any bigger.
I apologies if the service was slow, we occasionally get a lot of customers at once & this can affect us, but we try our best.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

My partner took me here on Valentine’s Day for a late supper and we enjoyed it very much. Our two waitresses Mary and Elle were attentive and friendly. The salt and pepper squid was amazing! The gluten free menu is not large but was VERY yummy, the squid to die for and my steak done to perfection with a very tasty salad. We had one starter, two mains, two glasses
House wine, One dessert and 2 coffees for £62 so it was relatively expensive but nice. Our only criticism is that the Polenta cake was a bit dry. I’d definitely come here again, soon I hope.

Hello
I am very glad you enjoyed your evening with us, I must apologies wholeheartedly regarding the desert, it wasn't until later we realized the recipe had gone slightly wrong. If you do come again please let us know & we will buy you an extra yummy dessert.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

A fantastic little restaurant. Great atmosphere, relaxed and calm. Service very good, friendly and helpful. The food is just as other reviewers have said, spot on. Thank you team Busby and Wilds for a super evening, we’ll be back soon.