All reviews courtyard room bluetooth speaker local cafe japanese room rituals toiletries slippers and robes cafe round the corner supremely comfortable bed helpful guide downstairs kitchen freshly baked croissants great seaside restaurant recommendations continental breakfast walking distance modern facilities prior to arrival
Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

A rather nice 2 night stay in a large bright room that was well presented and clean. The bathroom was compact but adequate. Breakfast in the room was healthy and good sized portions. Mark and his partner were both friendly and helpful which made the stay very relaxed.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Mark M, Owner at Nineteen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2016

Dear Sheffieldtraveller17, thank you for staying with us and thank you for this kind review. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back to Nineteen some day.

Reviewed 17 September 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights, and was disappointed with the room size as I was sharing with a family member, no air con very stuffy, booking.com charged us more then the actually price nice breakfast which was brought to the room, nice management, but lots of seagulls, nice location easy access to everything, was given stand up fan, but it didn't help with
The Asthma with myself and my family
Bed was too small for both of us
It just seemed very expensive for two people for £300 for two nights
Due to booking.com

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Mark M, Owner at Nineteen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2016

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm really sorry you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay at Nineteen, but some of this might be due to, dare I say, unrealistic expectations of what you will get in a Guest House. Even 5* The Grand hotel does not have air conditioning; it's just not something the UK generally needs. During August's hot spell we went out to buy new tower fans for every room, to replace smaller fans we already had, and they seemed to do the job very well, according to our other guests. And of course our sash windows can be opened for ventilation; something you can't do in many larger hotels.
Yes it's true that because of the 15%+ commission rates charged by the likes of Booking.com, we do offer lower prices to people who book directly with us. And Direct bookers, who look at our own website, will get much better information about our facilities and services, to help make a more informed decision about choosing to stay with us, such as the exact size of the rooms and beds, and the fact that we offer to dress the beds in man made fibres, instead of feathers, for allergy sufferers.
Finally, although we cannot do anything about the fact that there are seagulls in Brighton, we do offer ear plugs to anyone who doesn't like the noise they make (including me!).

Reviewed 7 September 2016

I spent 2 nights in the Japanese room and really enjoyed my stay here. The outside space is cute and it was nice to open a door for some fresh air - hotel rooms can be stuffy. Room and courtyard is private and was a lovely retreat at the end of the day. Good location, quick walk to the front or the lanes but on a quiet side street.

The room was spacious and well appointed, bathroom spotlessly clean. Enjoyed a soak in the bath and delicious coffee and breakfast bought to the room. No kettle in the room but you can make yourself a pot of coffee or tea in the kitchen.

I thought the previous review on the 'regimented atmosphere’ was a little unkind - I arrived expecting a room full of passive-aggressive post-it notes/spy cameras but nothing of the sort! If you bothered to read the guide it asked you not to smoke outside, not to use the outdoor bath after 11pm (it’s noisy) and to use the bath salts provided because soap damages the wood. All seemed reasonable and just common sense. I had a key and came and went rarely seeing anyone - certainly didn’t feel monitored.

Nice place, would recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: Japanese room has a private courtyard
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Mark M, Owner at Nineteen, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2016

Thank you so much Geri R, for staying with us, for posting this review, and for challenging the comments left by one other reviewer.
We're so pleased you were able to find some me time during your stay with us.

Reviewed 9 August 2016

My partner and I stayed in the Japanese courtyard room for a night in July. Whilst the B&B is clean and well presented (I loved the artwork in the communal spaces), there is a pervading atmosphere of restriction. There are a lot of rules regarding your stay here, clearly stated in the welcome manual, including the fines and charges one could incur with an infraction of these rules. Mark himself was professional and friendly enough in person, but after having read the manual I couldn't help but feel that I was being monitored and assessed. Not the relaxing atmosphere I was looking for. It is even stated in the manual that the owners actively encourage other guests to be on the look out for people smoking on the property and report them to the owners! Mark has shown his feelings in his responses to other guests: 'Experience has shown that if one doesn't set boundaries, people take liberties.'... and that attitude comes across. If you provide an outside space with a room, surely it's ok to smoke there? No, £100 fine if you do. Surely if you provide a luxury like a japanese bath you should give the guests the freedom to use it when they want? Nope, time restrictions. I understand that there are other guests but if you feel that use of facilities in one room could be detrimental to the stay of other guests, don't offer them! What's the difference between a guest smelling smoke from the courtyard and a guest at the front of the house smelling smoke from the street?

Having read Mark's responses to previous critics of Nineteen I am now bracing myself. Mark, I hope you take this criticism in a constructive way. I am not a 'troll', I have no ulterior motive, I just wanted to give an honest review. You have a lovely establishment and it is clearly working, but for me I need a little less restriction to give a higher score.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jamesrobinson010
Mark M, Owner at Nineteen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

Dear jamesrobinson010, thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you were made to feel uncomfortable by things I had written in the 'welcome book', but I'm grateful that I have an opportunity to justify things here.
The only 'rules' we remind guests about relate to common decency and respect for others around you; specifically that you should turn off the water feature in the courtyard when you are not in the room, and overnight, because many people do not like the sound of running water. Nineteen is a 200 year old town house, in a conservation area, so we can only ensure our guests are protected from noise at night by relying on respectful behaviour from all other guests.
The only fine or charge we talk about in the welcome book is applied when guests smoke in their room, or in the courtyard of the Japanese room. Smoking is illegal indoors and in outside areas which are more than 50% enclosed (thus including the courtyard). If our guests smoke on site it causes great upset to other guests, may cause us to take a room out of action for fumigating, or require us to give refunds to guests booked into rooms where smoking has taken place. As a business owner, if I have not taken all reasonable steps to prevent my guests from smoking, I could be fined £1500 by the council. That's why I make it very clear that smoking is not allowed at Nineteen, and why I encourage guests to report other guests' smoking to me. Unfortunately we do still occasionally have to deal with some people who do not care about the law or the impact of their actions on others, and while this continues I will continue to harp on about the non smoking rules.

Reviewed 6 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed there for two nights for our anniversary and had the best time! Mark and Arif were wonderful hosts. Nothing was too much trouble and they were so friendly. The rooms were pristinely clean and light and airy and beautifully furnished. It was peaceful too. The breakfast options were fab but we chose to take them up on their offer of breakfast around the corner in the cafe for an extra three pounds and it was well worth it. Delicious food and lovely staff. The place is within minutes of the pier and seafront and Mark and Arif helped us with parking. They made our stay stress free which was exactly what we needed. We would definitely stay there again!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Mark M, Owner at Nineteen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2016

Dear CHOI37, than you for staying with us at Nineteen, and for taking time out to post this kind review. It really means a lot to us when we get feedback like this.