“Excellent room, central location and peaceful stay”
Review of Nineteen

Nineteen
Ranked #19 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 September 2016

I spent 2 nights in the Japanese room and really enjoyed my stay here. The outside space is cute and it was nice to open a door for some fresh air - hotel rooms can be stuffy. Room and courtyard is private and was a lovely retreat at the end of the day. Good location, quick walk to the front or the lanes but on a quiet side street.

The room was spacious and well appointed, bathroom spotlessly clean. Enjoyed a soak in the bath and delicious coffee and breakfast bought to the room. No kettle in the room but you can make yourself a pot of coffee or tea in the kitchen.

I thought the previous review on the 'regimented atmosphere’ was a little unkind - I arrived expecting a room full of passive-aggressive post-it notes/spy cameras but nothing of the sort! If you bothered to read the guide it asked you not to smoke outside, not to use the outdoor bath after 11pm (it’s noisy) and to use the bath salts provided because soap damages the wood. All seemed reasonable and just common sense. I had a key and came and went rarely seeing anyone - certainly didn’t feel monitored.

Nice place, would recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: Japanese room has a private courtyard
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Mark M, Owner at Nineteen, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2016

Thank you so much Geri R, for staying with us, for posting this review, and for challenging the comments left by one other reviewer.
We're so pleased you were able to find some me time during your stay with us.

Reviewed 9 August 2016

My partner and I stayed in the Japanese courtyard room for a night in July. Whilst the B&B is clean and well presented (I loved the artwork in the communal spaces), there is a pervading atmosphere of restriction. There are a lot of rules regarding your stay here, clearly stated in the welcome manual, including the fines and charges one could incur with an infraction of these rules. Mark himself was professional and friendly enough in person, but after having read the manual I couldn't help but feel that I was being monitored and assessed. Not the relaxing atmosphere I was looking for. It is even stated in the manual that the owners actively encourage other guests to be on the look out for people smoking on the property and report them to the owners! Mark has shown his feelings in his responses to other guests: 'Experience has shown that if one doesn't set boundaries, people take liberties.'... and that attitude comes across. If you provide an outside space with a room, surely it's ok to smoke there? No, £100 fine if you do. Surely if you provide a luxury like a japanese bath you should give the guests the freedom to use it when they want? Nope, time restrictions. I understand that there are other guests but if you feel that use of facilities in one room could be detrimental to the stay of other guests, don't offer them! What's the difference between a guest smelling smoke from the courtyard and a guest at the front of the house smelling smoke from the street?

Having read Mark's responses to previous critics of Nineteen I am now bracing myself. Mark, I hope you take this criticism in a constructive way. I am not a 'troll', I have no ulterior motive, I just wanted to give an honest review. You have a lovely establishment and it is clearly working, but for me I need a little less restriction to give a higher score.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jamesrobinson010
Mark M, Owner at Nineteen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

Dear jamesrobinson010, thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you were made to feel uncomfortable by things I had written in the 'welcome book', but I'm grateful that I have an opportunity to justify things here.
The only 'rules' we remind guests about relate to common decency and respect for others around you; specifically that you should turn off the water feature in the courtyard when you are not in the room, and overnight, because many people do not like the sound of running water. Nineteen is a 200 year old town house, in a conservation area, so we can only ensure our guests are protected from noise at night by relying on respectful behaviour from all other guests.
The only fine or charge we talk about in the welcome book is applied when guests smoke in their room, or in the courtyard of the Japanese room. Smoking is illegal indoors and in outside areas which are more than 50% enclosed (thus including the courtyard). If our guests smoke on site it causes great upset to other guests, may cause us to take a room out of action for fumigating, or require us to give refunds to guests booked into rooms where smoking has taken place. As a business owner, if I have not taken all reasonable steps to prevent my guests from smoking, I could be fined £1500 by the council. That's why I make it very clear that smoking is not allowed at Nineteen, and why I encourage guests to report other guests' smoking to me. Unfortunately we do still occasionally have to deal with some people who do not care about the law or the impact of their actions on others, and while this continues I will continue to harp on about the non smoking rules.

Reviewed 6 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed there for two nights for our anniversary and had the best time! Mark and Arif were wonderful hosts. Nothing was too much trouble and they were so friendly. The rooms were pristinely clean and light and airy and beautifully furnished. It was peaceful too. The breakfast options were fab but we chose to take them up on their offer of breakfast around the corner in the cafe for an extra three pounds and it was well worth it. Delicious food and lovely staff. The place is within minutes of the pier and seafront and Mark and Arif helped us with parking. They made our stay stress free which was exactly what we needed. We would definitely stay there again!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Mark M, Owner at Nineteen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2016

Dear CHOI37, than you for staying with us at Nineteen, and for taking time out to post this kind review. It really means a lot to us when we get feedback like this.

Reviewed 5 August 2016 via mobile

A superb place to stay. Friendly welcome from the owners. Modern clean rooms with great en suite facilities. Option of breakfast at a fantastic local cafe and all within 5 minutes walk of all of the attractions you would want to visit. Will definitely recommend this hotel and will use it again when next visiting.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Mark M, Owner at Nineteen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2016

Thank you Pete H for your positive feedback. It was a pleasure to host you both last week and we look forward to the possibility of welcoming you to Nineteen again.

Reviewed 31 July 2016

I stayed for one night with 3 family members before my graduation. Staff were very friendly and welcoming and they helped us sorted out another room at the last minute. The continental breakfast was delicious and the homemade museili was lovely! The overall feel of the hotel was very calm and welcoming and the stay had a personal touch. Overall a very good stay!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Mark M, Owner at Nineteen, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2016

Thank you for sharing these kind opinions HayleyM. It was a pleasure to host you and your family during your special time in Brighton. Congratulations on your degree, and all the best for the future in the big wide world!