“Friday night”

The Coal Shed Restaurant
Reserve with TopTable
The Coal Shed Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #99 of 1,221 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: USD 10 - USD 100
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Coal Shed is a specialist meat and fish restaurant in the heart of Brighton. Recommended by The Telegraph and The Guardian, amongst others, this stylish, relaxed eaterie has quickly become one of the top restaurants in the city.
Reviewed 13 January 2018

I had a bad experience trying to book a table for my partners birthday in September. I followed this up and the situation was resolved by the manageress Naomi.

Fast forward to tonight ....start of the weekend. Our meal was superb and the service attentive, warm and friendly.

We both ordered the Jacobs ladder for starters which was sublime. We then shared the Chateaubriand with sides of chips, mash and creamed spinach.

The food was so good and we had a very relaxed and chilled evening.

No hesitation to recommend and we will be back.

Many thanks to Naomi and your team.

TheCoalShedManager, General Manager at The Coal Shed Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2018

Hi Teresa,

Thank you so much for this lovely review. I'm so pleased you had a great time and enjoyed all the food. I will pass on your wonderful comments on to the team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Many Thanks,
Naomi

Write a ReviewReviews (1,523)

Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

This was my very first visit to the coal shed in Brighton, and I had chosen it based on the reviews. It was a big celebration being my 50th Birthday , and wow was I not disappointed. The level of service and the food was amazing. Everyone in my party said they would definitely be coming back many more times in the future. Thank you to the Coal shed team for such a great evening.
The best food I have tasted in a very long time.

TheCoalShedManager, General Manager at The Coal Shed Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Happy Belated Birthday!! Thank you for choosing us for such a special occasion!! I'm so happy you have a wonderful time!! We looking forward to welcoming you back soon or for your 51st birthday!!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

Went on a a Saturday night, restaurant was full but service was still very good. Our waitress was lovely and really looked after us, giving us more time to make our choices, explaining what the dishes were and offering advice on which size Porterhouse steak to order.

We all settled on a starter call Jacob’s ladder - slow cooked beef with sliced onion and beetroot. Wow - our waitress came over as we were all making appreciative noises. Melt in the mouth with so much flavour.

Steaks for main were good and all cooked as requested. Onion rings so light and crispy.

Was a slight issue when one of the puddings that was delivered was not what was ordered. Issue resolved by our waitress instantly.

Will definitely be back!!

WOW. Thank you so much for this lovely review. I will pass on your comments to the kitchen, the Jacobs Ladder really is something else!!
I'm glad you enjoyed your experience with us. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Dropped in on the off-chance to sample the three-course express lunch priced at a bargain £17.50. Could not be faulted and we enjoyed wonderful artichoke soup, cured salmon, beef taco, minute steak, venison faggot and a delicious rice pudding with marmalade ice-cream. Can’t wait to sample the evening menu.

Yes, the Express Lunch menu is great value indeed. It sounds as though you sampled every bit of it, which is superb!! Definitely come and try the evening menu soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

We had dinner to celebrate a birthday.
From the moment we arrived to the time we left it was nothing but perfection from service, food, ambience, this place has got the lot!
Our waiter for the evening was Alex and he is one of the best I have encountered. Very engaging, efficient and helpful and certainly added to the experience. Thank you Sir!
I love the buzz and we were lucky to have the round table for 4 in the window to the left of the entrance door so you had all the benefits of the atmosphere but not the loudness of tables too close to you. If you are a table of 4 I definitely recommend you ask for this table.
The steaks are fantastic. We had the 800g chateaubriand to share and the rib on the bone 800g again to share. Both were cooked to perfection as were the cuts of meat themselves so a must! All the accompanying vegetables were excellent and special mention has to be made of the onion rings and the dripping chips which were light and tasty.
Thank goodness we did not order starters as the portions were filling.
Very impressed with the wines too.
We will definitely return and anyone going to Brighton has to eat here.

What a sensational review!! I will certainly pass your comments onto Alex, I know he'll be really pleased to hear that he added to your experience!! He's been with us for a while and never fails to impress.
I'm so glad you went for the sharing steaks, they are definitely not to be missed as are the chips!!
We look forward to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,