“a very mixed review”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 November 2017

We found this restaurant quite odd. There were a number of things we didn't like about it, but on the other hand, the whole sea bream was one of the nicest I've ever had. We ordered a bottle of wine then waited at least 50minutes for our duck pate starter. During that time people came, ate one course and left. We saw other people being served the wrong order and complaining. When we eventually asked if our starter had been forgotten it came, but no explanation. Then another long wait for the main course, until we asked again after about another 45minutes. The only attention we got was that every waiter kept trying to refill our wine glasses, whereas we were trying to make the last bit last till our main course (perhaps the delay was a cunning plan to make us buy more wine!) We don't like fast service but this wait was far too long. Anyway, when it came, my whole sea bream was brilliant and must have weighed a half kilo. Just as well really, as my husband's fish and chips was a breaded bit of tasteless fish, so he could share mine. I'd asked what came with my fish and was offered potatoes or a vegetable instead. I chose courgettes, but I was surprised to be charged an extra £3 for these. Then 10% service which I didn't feel was justified as they knew we'd been kept waiting a very long time with no explanation or apology. A pity really as my fish on its own rated 5 stars. But the overall experience was negative.

Reviewed 1 November 2017

This is an amazing little restaurant in The Lanes. The menu is vast and the food is just divine! Be prepared for a high steps climb to the toilets but it definitely has it's charm! The service was great, food came out quickly, the portions were very generous. Highly recommend it and we'll definitely be back! :)

Reviewed 23 October 2017

I travel extensively overseas and still D'arcys scampi provencale is the best in the world, all their fish dishes are excellent, love eating there, the decor is quite tired and the restaurant is small and not privacy due to the building being very old.

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

Staying in Brighton we came across this restaurant on a Sunday evening and thought we would try it as opposed to the many chain branches in the area. We all fancied something light as had eaten out the night before so decided to go for the 2 course deal for £11.95
The food was ok, nothing to write home about in fact do better at home most nights! Very average for the money but we had fun

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Outside they have a board saying ‘coffee,cake, sandwiches’ but they have no idea how to make a sandwich !!!( a prawn sandwich consisted of 2 slices of warburtons with 10 small prawns on, no sauce, no garnish of any kind).
They also added a 10 % service charge on a lunch time! Four sandwich’s & 4 teas inc service charge £44. Tea came 15 mins before sandwich’s so cold by time they arrived.
Slack set up get yourselves fish & chips on front.

2  Thank Westbourne14