“Birthday lunch”

Ranked #36 of 814 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My sister in law took me out for a birthday lunch . Inside was light and airy . Staff seated us quickly , was fairly busy but staff were attentive and ableached to find if required assistance food arrived promptly and was a wide choice . Even with a smaller portion option if required. We ordered main and desserts . They were fantastic I had cajun chicken with salad was lovely cooked beautifully. A wide choice of desserts.
Very friendly atmosphere. Easy to park will definetly be returning.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

we went here again last week for my partners birthday. we were not disappointed, the service was the usual high standard and served with a smile. The steak and ale pie was perfect and my partner had lovely lamb steaks. would recommend this place.

1  Thank ken j
Reviewed 2 April 2018

One of the few survivors of the many pubs which used to ring Bournemouth, this roadhouse situated on one of the busiest roundabouts in the area has successfully reinvented itself as a gastropub. Owned by the Hall & Woodhouse Brewery (aka Badger), it stocks a good selection of local ales, a wide selection of gins plus the usual selection of other drinks. Food is good here, and the main attraction for the many who come here. Not the easiest of places to get into, and certainly not somewhere you would want to sit outside of, it's very comfortable inside. Good, efficient, friendly staff and still retaining something of a "locals" feel. Recommended

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Food exceptionally good. Vegan burger was the best I have tasted. Both gluten-free and vegan choices were the best we have come across. Lovely, friendly and well-informed staff. Book in advance as this is a popular place!

Lisa W, Owner at The Bear Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Hi Jill

Thank you for the review. We all ate many vegan burgers while we were perfecting the recipe - glad you enjoyed it. We are starting trials on some new vegan recipes - should be available late April or early May. Look forward to seeing you next time.

Lisa

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

I’ve just returned from a family meal and must say am so disappointed! We have been going to the Bear Cross for many years and it has always been great. Tonight the staff were still very good and attentive but the food was terrible. I heard the waitress mentioning a new chef and can only think this is the reason.
The braised beef my mum and husband had was so dry and sauce lacked the normal rich taste. My cod was so tasteless and Parmesan crust not like usual at all. Sauce also so bland. My sisters burger was a saving grace but really sad it was not the normal tasty meal we have come to expect.

2  Thank Jo W
Lisa W, Owner at The Bear Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Hi Jo

Thank you for sending in a review, we always like to know how we are doing. I am sorry you were disappointed this time. Honestly nothing should have changed as we still have many of the same kitchen team that we have had for years. I will look into all aspects of your review and make sure that our specifications are being followed so that the standards you have previously enjoyed are met. I am pleased that the service you received was as per usual. I would like to speak to you personally so that I can make amends so if you would email your number to thebearcross@gmail.com I will contact you directly. I do hope to hear from you soon.

Lisa