“Absolutely perfect, a very special 50th birthday”
Review of The Elephant

The Elephant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Elephant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 372 Restaurants in Torquay
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Elephant is a bright, informal restaurant which overlooks the beautiful Torbay harbour. It was the first restaurant in Torquay to be awarded a Michelin star which it maintains today. We aim to source all our ingredients locally and sustainably, many from our dedicated farm in Brixham. Please feel free to ask our front of house team about anything you are unsure of. Run by chef proprietor, Simon Hulstone and his wife Katy. Food is cooked by a talented team of chefs and served by friendly, professional team of staff. Diners can enjoy a delicious à la carte menu and set menus featuring local and sustainable fish, meat and vegetables, sourced from the surrounding area, in an informal and attractive setting. For an extra special culinary treat opt for the tasting menu. Expect friendly and knowledegable service without the formalities. All our dishes change regularly depending on which locally grown and reared (many sourced from our dedicated farm) ingredients are at their best.
Reviewed 21 January 2018

Celebrated a 50th birthday here. Everything was absolutely perfect, as soon as we came in we were greeted and shown to our table with a birthday card on it which already made the evening special from the start. The atmosphere was very calm and pleasant, the waitresses were attentive and friendly. We skipped the starters but we went for the honey chorizo for nibbles which is always good. For mains, my parents had the aged beef fillet which is by far the best steak in the bay! I went for the roast pumpkin fondant which was delicious and perfectly spiced, for sides we had dauphinoise potatoes and grilled purple broccoli, again, delicious.

For dessert, I went for the rhubarb and baked custard dish, it was divine, the mixture of flavours and textures was perfectly paired. My parents had the chocolate fondant with brown butter ice cream and again they said it was perfect. Our waitress, Natalia, advised us which wine would compliment our desserts and the pairing was brilliant. Ended our night with petit fours on a birthday plate which topped the whole night off on being absolutely perfect. The birthday was made so special and I would like to thank everyone at the elephant for making the evening so excellent. Would definitely recommend coming here for a special evening.

Thank you Chef Simon, Katy and Natalia!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,139)

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

Visited here with three colleagues whilst in the area on business and we were not disappointed - having previously heard its reputation we pre booked some weeks prior and selected a hotel within reasonable walking distance.
Apart from its innovative and extensive wine list, the USP for here is that a good proportion of the menu is made from ingredients directly from the proprietors own farm.
The home grown lamb was excellent and perfectly cooked and pink and lean on a bed of kale. The taste and textures are difficult to put into words other than to say I will be visiting again, despite the 4 hour round trip.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

This was the fifth time I’ve visited The Elephant, and once again Simon and the team did not disappoint. We had champagne cocktails on arrival which were excellent. The service was impeccable as usual, and we immediately felt relaxed but excited. We both had the chef’s tasting menu with matching wine. It was just as amazing as expected. It’s difficult to pick out a highlight, as every course was superb, however the goats cheese samosa and the rainbow trout were just perfect.

We finished the meal with the additional cheese course with port, and an exceptional treacle tart with marmalade ice cream, before rounding off the night with an espresso martini. All in all a fantastic evening and some of the best food I’ve had. I certainly plan on making a sixth trip as soon as possible!

Reviewed 7 January 2018

There was a prtty of 10 from 2 years to 63 years, I am GF, The meals were lovely no pressure to order and the children could walk around, Other guest were friendly.The food was wonderful and all relaxed,

Reviewed 5 January 2018

Having had a great night New Year 2016/17 we visited again for 2017/18. What impressed was calm and efficient service, not fussy but polite and attentive. (Our waitress had a problem with a wine cork, but this was quickly sorted out). On this occasion we went straight to main courses. A lamb dish was well seasoned, and very tasty. My wife's fish was beautifully cooked. For desert my wife had cheese: good local cheeses. My rice pudding with prunes was wonderful. I wanted more! A really delicious meal. We'll be back.