All reviews silver service mr rew four courses rotary club dining room traditional hotel sea view course dinner grand piano sunday lunch public rooms restaurant staff second to none first class sea front waiting staff hotel is situated
Reviewed 27 August 2018

I stayed here in July whilst on a cricket tour.

The hotel itself is clean and un-offensive; it is just very dated. The twin room we had was of a reasonable size, but definitely needed some modernisation. The decor was very much from the period when holidaying in Britain at the seaside was the norm, but it was clean. The bathroom was quite small though; and being quite a tall chap, I struggled to be able to stand upright properly under the shower.

The breakfast was not overly impressive; there was the usual array of continental and cold options (although the selection was not as large as some other hotels) and the cooked breakfast was clearly partly cooked in the microwave.

I only had one meal in the hotel which was actually not too bad at all; but it was gammon, egg and chips which, if spoilt, would have been amazing.

The hotel staff on the whole were very friendly; although one or two of the staff at breakfast were a little surly at times.

All in all, it was an OK place to stay, but nothing to write home about by any means.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2018

I know this hotel is tired and desperately in need of refurbishment, old school with so many fires you boil in the winter and no air con in the summer so it's boiling hot. Normally the service and food is good so you can put up with old fashioned wallpaper, old decor, lumpy matresses on the beds etc but this time things had gone from bad to worst and the manager just doesn't seem interested and the staff are at odds with one another.
Our room was dirty, there is no other way to describe the bathroom. The bed was so squeaky, every time one of us moved their was an almighty noise all night and every night. There was no where for my partner to put a drink next to the bed and the space for getting in was so narrow that we both had to turn sideways just to get to the bed. The hairdryer was right next to the bed and sticking out so that everytime we mover it fell to the floor. The shower screen was set inside the bath and the handles for getting in and out so getting a purchase to lift yourself up and out was a struggle. The overflow flowed out of the wall onto a filthy flat roof covered in seagull droppings and when it hit the sludgr the smell was horrendous and as the windows were wide open because it so hot you couldn't get away from the smell.
The door stop was broken so the door hit the sink every time you opened it, the catch on the door didn't close it properly so that every gust of wind or breeze blew it open whilst you were sat on the loo, lovely! The toilet was worn out around the edges where the yellow paint had worn off.
Normally the service and the food is very good but this time, from the moment we arrived drinks and meals took ages. I stood for over 15 minutes at the bar to be ignored by one waitress whilst she made a specialist coffee and took it to wherever the recipient was sitting. I never did get to order my tea. Meals were coming out from the kitchen and waiters were wondering around desperately trying to identify what the food was, match it up with the person that ordered it. It was like faulty towers but not so funny. It was a classic example of how not to run a restaurant. The old liveried long tail coates says it all. I complained to the manager two days running and was told he would get in touch with me. I am still waiting.
One morning at breakfast my partner asked why his cold milk for his tea was frothy, the waitress said they had run out of cold milk so they had blended the hot milk with the cold milk to make it warm milk???????????? On the cereal table we found jugs of cold milk for our tea? Staying here was atrocious, there was one young waiter who ws excellent and was called in to help on the Sunday, thank goodness for someone efficient in that chaos. Did we receive any compensation NO! Did we have an explanation or apology NO! This is a hotel that doesn't respect their guests! I have several weekends in torquay for events every year, its a shame but I won't be coming here again, if the manager cannot be bothered to even speak to me? Dont stay in room 68!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not allow yourself to be booked into room 68
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wanderlowe
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

You are definitely stepping back in time at this hotel!

From the decor including velvet drapes, leather topped tables, crystal chandeliers and chaise longs, to the beds still using blankets and sheets, then to the old men that welcomed you in their tails! It’s really a strange look but mildly quaint!

The food was very average and overpriced - I had the tiniest chicken Caesar salad on the first night and duck for the second night, nothing special although they did try to serve it in a ‘silver service’ way!

Breakfast was nothing special either, a long wait to be served both mornings, quite bland food and small portions and the poached eggs left vinegar tasting toast underneath.

Oh and drinks - £8.50 plus for a large glass of wine!!!! Aiding beer and a coke too three drinks to over £16! Needless to say we went to the local supermarket and bought our own!

The organisation between the staff was what really let the place down. Being marched up and down the restaurant while two members of staff argued about where to seat us, to being told that chef was cooking until 10 and then being told he wasn’t, and then paying a bill that wasn’t mine that had to be promptly refunded.

Luckily, it was warm enough to use the outdoor pool and jacuzzi (it’s a non heated pool so beware) so that made for an enjoyable end to the weekend.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2018

We had a lovely weekend break at this well run, friendly hotel. The room was spacious and charming. The food was beautifully prepared and served by professional, attentive staff.
The whole experience was relaxing. We would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for good old fashioned service. We will certainly return.

Stayed: July 2018
Reviewed 26 June 2018

This is how a luxury hotel should be run. Everything works like clockwork, the staff are truly amazing.
We dined here again on Sunday, this was our third visit. We’d been before to assess if it was possible to bring a disabled friend for lunch in his wheelchair. I mentioned this when I booked a table, and have to say the whole visit went like clockwork. As soon as we pulled up outside the main entrance a lovely young man came out and helped me get the wheelchair out of the boot and assemble it. In no time at all Wally, who’s 97, was pushed up the ramp and into the restaurant. He’s new to having to use a wheelchair, and feels conspicuous, but this went a dream. We enjoyed the superb meal and wine. In a flash he was back down the ramp and into the lounge for coffee and mints, with a big smile on his face. The whole visit had been a resounding success.
I cannot thank the staff enough, they all played a part in the ensuring everything went well. This has cheered Wally up no end, he thought he was destined to be house bound. We will definitely return.
Special thank you to Spencer for the lovely music, we especially liked the James Bond themes.
The food was outstanding, we had four different starters, mains, and desserts, all compared very well to the best hotels in London. We’ve dined at The Ritz, The Dorchester, the Savoy and Claridges, so we do know quality.
Will be visiting again very soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room. There is train line at back of the hotel, but trains travel very slowly
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends