1,157 results
All reviews club room free taxi service six courses edwards coaches gb tours course evening meal sea view sorbet on arrival coach parties coastal path first class evening entertainment mince pies spa area standard room the general manager
Reviewed 3 September 2016

We had a two night stay at the Headland for a weekend escape, to explore South Devon, especially the river Dart and the houses of Greenway and Coleton Fishacre. We had a large room with a fantastic view overlooking Torbay, the rooms and bathrooms could do with an update, but it was very comfortable and clean. The set dinner was exceptional value, even though we hadn't booked, Christina fitted us in. The staff were friendly and helpful. If you want to leave the car at the hotel to explore you can get a ticket from the harbour to get a bus to the steam train to take you down to Kingswear (Dartmouth) included was the shuttle bus to Greenwy from Churston

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
LucyHPrice, Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2016

Dear DaveTripp,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us and enjoyed your 6 course evening meal! Next time that you visit, try booking dinner, bed & breakfast and sample the nightly changing delights that we offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Headland Hotel & Spa Team

Reviewed 2 September 2016 via mobile

What a fabulous stay during our 5 night break.
The staff couldn't do enough.
The food was lovely and so much choice (we never managed the cheeseboards).
The rooms where very clean and tidy.
The bar / outdoor area was such a lovely open space we loved chilling and enjoying afternoon tea.
The hydro spa and sauna are such chilled areas and lovely to just spend a little me time.
I will be looking into returning for a spa break.
The free shuttle service to the town is such a lovely service (at set times) the hotel offers to be honest the walk is just as lovely and takes around 15 to 20 minutes but could be a little challenging if u are a little un steady saying this my other half had just had a knee replacement and managed the walk a few times and the taxi fare was only £3 so not bad value.
The evening entertainment was a good all rounder.
All in all such a fab break

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear clazbo,

Thank you for your lovely review! I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us! It's a shame that you couldn't manage all 6 courses of our evening meal...

I am pleased that you enjoyed our new spa facilities. This is the newest part of our hotel and boasts 3 hydro pools, a sauna, Jacuzzi, steam room, gymnasium and treatment room available for a selection of treatments.

As we are in such an amazing location offering views across the bay to Brixham and also over to Thatcher's rock, we are a brisk walk away from town, but am pleased that you took advantage of our complimentary taxi service into the town.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to see us again very soon.

The Headland Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 2 September 2016 via mobile

Lovely hotel, spacious twin room with large bathroom. The hairdryer was ancient however, and absolutely no use for its intended purpose! The beds were comfortable and the room and bathroom was perfectly clean. I have coeliac disease and am incredibly sensitive to gluten. The hotel were aware of my dietary needs prior to my visit, and made sure there were plenty of gluten free options at every meal time, including toast, sandwiches and even puddings! I had absolutely no problems regarding my coeliac disease at all, which is nothing short of miraculous during the time I was there. The staff were all friendly and incredibly helpful. I will definitely revisit in the future. The only downside was that the spa (which looked amazing!) wasn't working properly on the day I'd planned to go in it, which was disappointing as I'd really looked forward to a soak in the jacuzzi.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
LucyHPrice, Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2016

Dear Rhiannon B,

Thank you for your great comments about your stay with us. I am so pleased to see that your dietary requirements were properly catered for whilst you were here. We take all dietary requests extremely seriously and our team of chefs work very hard to ensure every guest receives the same level of fantastic food.

Our spa is now open and fully operational, so on your next visit to us, you can treat yourself to a day of pampering before a lovely lunch!

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

The Headland Hotel & Spa Team

Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

As the father of the bride Becky who had a wedding reception at the Headland I wish to congratulate all the staff and Lucy the manager and wedding planner for laying on a fantastic day for the guests who attended. The service was exceptional the food sublime and we had an eventful day. The setting is breathtaking and steeped in history. Many said it was a great wedding and rhey didnt realise Torbay had this jewel of a venue that puts the more expensive alternatives to shame. Wow conratulations you did us proud. Very happy customer and client THANKYOU.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Tourist10739

Dear Father of the Bride,

What lovely comments!! I am so pleased that you all enjoyed your day and Becky was a beautiful bride who was a pleasure to work with!!

I will pass on you great comments and appreciation to all of the team that were involved and worked so hard to ensure that the whole day ran smoothly.

I hope you will come back to visit us from time to time and wish you all the best!

Lucy

Reviewed 29 August 2016

We had a 3 night stay at this hotel whilst attending a wedding and overall we enjoyed our stay. It's a beautiful hotel in a fantastic position overlooking Torbay, the weather was beautiful during out stay so we very much enjoyed a drink on the sun terrace enjoying the view and company of other guests.

We booked a room last minute but for the price was still rather disappointed in how small it was, barely space to get round the bed. It had a well appointed en-suite, but this again was minute. The weather was warm and our room was stifling, annoyingly we could only open the windows 1/4" which made sleeping difficult. It was only after 2 uncomfortable nights that I discovered a metal spring clamp inside the window frame that if you pushed up with a teaspoon you could open the window fully, what on earth is the point of that. The wi-fi was pretty poor in our room despite a route on the floor next to our bedside cabinet. It was also very noisy until well into the night, functions (yes the one we were attending too) and people from the bar and the "entertainment" in the main bar area.

Breakfast was shambolic. On the first morning we obediently stood at the door next to the lectern with the list of room numbers on it, and we waited, and we waited, several members of staff walked past us without so much as a good morning, and we waited. Finally someone came and took our room number and led us to a table for 4, which was lucky as our tea cups had unpleasant stains in them so we swapped them with the two spares. I wanted juice so i went up to the bar where there were 2 glasses left, I started filling one when a young waitress walked up and took the other, only remaining glass, as she walked off I said "can we have some more glasses please", she grudgingly said yes and walked off.

Given that the staff can't seem to cope with a 1/3 full breakfast room it makes no sense that you have to ask for cereal and then bring a bowl from the kitchen, especially as my cornflakes were served in a hot bowl (clearly fresh out the dishwasher). Why not make it self serve?

The 2nd morning was slightly better but we still had to wait ages for everything, whilst people at other tables seated after us had their orders taken and breakfast served while we still waited to order. My coffee was served, I had to ask for milk, none on the table, my breakfast arrived, I had no fork, had to ask.

It wasn't just us, people at other tables were getting fed up with the service.

The other thing that bugged us was that about 7pm someone comes out and packs away all the cushions/seat pads from all the furniture on the sun terrace, so if it's a nice evening you can't sit outside and enjoy a drink.

If they could sort out these things it would be a fabulous place and despite these I still recommend.

Room Tip: Away from the front of the hotel, due to the noise.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnBeds

Dear JohnBeds,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us.

The metal latch that you are referring to on the window is the safety latch that is required on all higher level bedroom windows for heath and safety reasons. Should you have required the window to be opened further, we would have happily sent one of our team up to open the window more fully.

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast experience. We have already looked into the way we serve this and you will find great improvements already.

I do hope that you will be returning to us again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Headland Hotel & Spa Team