“Unfortunately, not as good as expected”

Old Vienna Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 338 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: Austrian, European, British, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Description: Restaurant with an Austrian Touch - Austrian Chef/Proprietor-Werner Rott and his team are here to look after customers with a smile and mostly locally sourced ingredient in casual surroundings - a small intimate Restaurant with just 22 Covers where the guest is treated like a friend 2015 Taste of the West South Devon Fine Dining Silver Award 2016 Taste of the West South West England Gold Award
Sheffield
“Unfortunately, not as good as expected”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I went with family I was visiting in Torbay to the restaurant on my last evening as had read many review on here and heard from my relatives that the place had reopened, and I couldn't wait to eat there. Whilst not large, it's not bad in size really for the area and the decor inside is nice. Being a fish lover, it was sea bass I had and whilst nice, it was not outstanding or any different to what I had eaten earlier in my stay at a much cheaper place up in Babbacombe.
There have been a few reviews on excellent and outstanding customer service, however, coming from a background of that particular field, I can honestly say that there was nothing amazing about the service as well as nothing that stood out. We were shown to our table, drinks ordered and food ordered.........that was it. Nothing outstanding I'm afraid and would it be somewhere I would go back too, unfortunately no, it wouldn't as it was an average eating place.

4 Thank Mish6767
Werner R, Owner at Old Vienna Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
my thanks for your comments and in fact all the comments i have received over time.I took on board your comment re hight of tables and after attempting cutting the legs shorter I have now ended up with a wonky coffee table - If I would have continued i would have to change it to a japanese restaurant siiting on the floor.Allas , a provessional was called and he took of four centimeter of all the tables and I had lunch with some friends in my own place to test the changes.
If you remember me talking to you , I myself am vertically callenged and under stand your comments.
So thanks for that - I alway try to get improve things when sensible and as I spend more time in the kitchen then on the floor its the dinnners who are more lightly to be able to point things out to me so I can act upon it

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, ambience, everything!”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Great atmosphere. Food was impressive - all the grandeur of fine dining but also decent sized portions. Most enjoyable experience that was very good value too. Not to be missed, you won't be disappointed. Amazing customer service too - genuine, friendly - we were blown away. Why don't more people know about this place? We'll be raving about it for a while!

2 Thank tarachris
Torquay, United Kingdom
“The best place in town for consistently good food”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Werner Roth is both a superb host and excellent chef. A group of friends ate there last night. The welcome was genuinly warm and we were served with the excellent food from the best of ingredients. The menu choice is large and as we were a large party almost every dish on the menu was sampled and greatly enjoyed. The food is traditional Austrian cuisine served in a well decorated intimate environment by friendly, competent staff. . The restaurant is just a short walk from the harbour and on a bus route if you don't want to walk. I have no hesitation in recommending the Old Vienna to locals and to visitors to Torquay. YOu won't be disappointed

4 Thank KatieDevonUK
Birmingham
“Really enjoyable evening with great food and generous hosts!”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Booked a table for 4 on a Saturday night early march having read great reviews on trip advisor. Restaurant is lovely and cosy, only about 6 tables and we had a very warm. welcome. Small menu but enough choice and the food was lovely. Quite elegant for such a small place. I had scollops which I love to start and sea bass which was dreamy. the complementary bread was beautiful (olive and sundried tomatoi think)my friends had the pigeon with a blackberry sauce which went down well. We found it to be really reasonbly priced for the quality of the food and wine. Highlight of the evening has to be the complementary schnaaps and lots of banter with the owner at the end of evening. turns out. he was a regular on the generation game with lot s of stories to tell which we found highly entertaining! we were the last 2 tables by this point and. the atmosphere was great. hospitality was spout on- we even got a lift to the bar we were going to after!l in all a perfect eveningthat was was enjoyed by all.

3 Thank ltwigg
barnstaple devon
“perfect in every way”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

best food I have eaten in this country for some considerable time

2 Thank theconstantmoaner