2,830 results
All reviews compass bar hotel garage sea view train station agatha christie cream tea lounge bar public areas outdoor pool sunday lunch sea front leisure facilities some tlc bit dated waiting staff short break biscuits
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

I simply can’t find the words to describe just how bad this hotel really is. I stayed here with 40 plus conference attendees for 3 nights. I write this during my final breakfast meal during which the topic of conversation at every table is just how bad things are. Comments range from the bedroom we are staying in is simply the worse I have ever stay in . Pictures are being passed around the tables on iPhones to judge who actually wins the title of ‘worse hotel bedroom ever’. The one overlooking the kitchen extractor with the dead pigeon on the flat roof is in the lead at the moment. For the first 3 days, the water in the bedroom showers was so hot everyone was scalded. Guests have been complaining. In response to this wave of customer feedback, this morning showers are ice cold. Breakfast provision reminds me of a hotel from the1970s. The place is very tired and the administrators will have their work cut out finding a rescue package for this not so Grand Hotel. The staff are doing their best but believe me, all the horror stories posted on this site are true.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank medwards729
Reviewed 16 June 2018

Booked hotel for 3 nights a month in advance on booking.com as came up as "deal of the day". Had a courtesy call from hotel yesterday and during conversation I asked to confirm price I paid. Was then told that the price I had paid was too cheap and hotel wanted another £150. Phoned Booking.com to complain and after they called hotel to see if they would honour price they came back to me saying they wouldn't. Is that legal for a confirmed booking? So "Grand Hotel" (which reading some of the other reviews on here is not so Grand anyway) and booking.com you both get 1 star (only because zero is not an option)

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank jecarro46
Julie A, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Good Morning jecarro46

I am so sorry to hear of the confusion over the pricing of your stay. I have asked the team to look into it for me. We dictate our pricing to booking.com so are unsure how this could have happened.

Please would you be so kind as to e mail me the details of your booking to assist in my investigation, my e mail address is gsm@richardsonhotels.co.uk

Thank you in advance.

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Saw another review that decribed it as a fine lady past her prime. Perfect description. Staff were polite and friendly, room was clean but had to run around in the shower to get wet and found the water temperature ever changing.
Communal areas downstairs looked nice but upstairs carpets were threadbare in places.
The pools were pleasent but looked dated. Decent hot tub and sauna but the 'fully equipped' gym was, for me, overtstated as a few cardio machines, free weights and a jack of all trades weight machine doesnt cut it now a days as being fully equipped in my opinion.
Breakfast was decent but found dirty crockery and cutlary everywhere disapointing.
Overall for the price we paid we were satisfied but the 4star rating set our expectations higher.
Great location and various parking options but for me its a dated, well equipped 3 star hotel, in need of modernising to really succeed as it seems to thrive on functions and elderly couples whove been visiting for 20 years.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nick L

Dear Nick L

We are so disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay. the Grand Hotel is subject to an on going refurbishment programme and we have introduced Executive Head Chef John Burton-Race to oversee our kitchens so we hope that the changes we have made will meet with our guests expectations.

Reviewed 14 June 2018

We have just returned from my third visit this year to the Grand Hotel and I can only say that I love it. There is old fashioned comfort and service. The rooms are clean and airy. The staff (everyone), are amazing. So friendly and caring. One member actually took time to walk my 85 year old husband to the station with his luggage and deposited him on the right platform and waited until I got there. The outdoor pool was in use and greatly enjoyed in the early summer sun. The indoor pool is also perfect, along with the fitnessss facilities. Breakfast is terrific and there is a la carte available as well as the buffet. The restaurant choices are good and the scones, served as part of the cream tea, are the best I have ever had. There is in house bakery, so all the bread choices are excellent. The hotel is a delight, I felt it was home. Don’t miss it.

Stayed: June 2018

Dear carolehuter

Thank you for your kind words, we are very proud to work within such an iconic building surrounded by a great team. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2018

We have just had our wedding at The Grand Hotel and had an amazing time. The room for the ceremony, the wedding breakfast and the evening party were presented perfectly. The food was fantastic, the staff were all brilliant. A very special thank you to Lauren the wedding planner and Katy. A massive thank you to Chris the restaurant manager and his fantastic team especially Floran. We are so happy we chose The Grand for our special day and would recommend it as a wedding venue. One hundred guests have left with some fantastic memories. We will be back soon to eat in the restaurant. Thanks again. Mick and Teresa Gaye.

Room Tip: Book a room with a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Dartsidemarine

Dear Dartsidemarine

Congratulations!!! We are so thrilled to hear that you had such a lovely day. I will pass on your comments to the team and if you could respond to me on gsm@richardsonhotels.co.uk we would love to use your feedback on our wedding page.