2,841 results
All reviews compass bar hotel garage sea view train station agatha christie cream tea lounge bar outdoor pool public areas sunday lunch sea front leisure facilities some tlc bit dated waiting staff short break biscuits
Reviewed 22 June 2016

Stayed here for three nights in May 2016. Booked the sea view room at a good rate and was pleased with the comfortable room and the view. Overall the hotel looks a little weary, but all in all its a very nice historical building. The first class breakfast was included in the room rate and the breakfast meal was superb. In general the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. The location is across the street from the train station, which is great if one is travelling by train. Also the local bus service is very good, and there is a bus stop right in front of the hotel.

We didn’t eat dinner in the dining room during our stay but we did try the bar lounge. The room is pleasant, with wide views of the bay and of the town. However, the service from the wait staff in the lounge was poor, and we encountered many other guests who said the same. The waitress who served us seemed only able to deal with one table at a time, even though she had a room full of guests. She would make several trips for one table, and then work on the next table, one by one, down the line. After waiting for over twenty minutes to order a drink, I went to the bar to order it myself, but this only seemed to confuse both the waitress and the bartender. We also ordered food in the lounge on our first night there; the Caesar salad was wilted and soaked in dressing, and the sautéed fish was tasty but not hot. Although we visited the lounge the next two nights for a night cap, the service never seemed to be well coordinated. We didn't order food there after the first night. I hate to make this criticism because, except for the service and food in the lounge, my wife and I found the hotel to be very nice.

Room tip: Stick with the sea view rooms.
Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roy C
Peter W, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2016

Dear Roy C,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay at our hotel. I am pleased to note that you found breakfast to be first class, and all the team to be friendly and helpful.

I have shared your comments with the team, and our Bars Manager, and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2016 via mobile

Rooms need some attention ie awful cheap tv tables that need skipping, scuffed furniture and walls, my 1st room was so not grand I had to move.
Public areas look tired with worn, dirty carpets and dirty marks in places.
Cleaning standards of whole hotel need to be much higher.
Service needs to be much slicker staff didnt know if they were coming or going and would forget you at times which caused several delays.
Food, this area you must get right to attract positive reviews and future custom, food was bland and tasteless and sent it back as it was not good and Ive never not eaten my food in a restaurant, everyone in dining area was upset about some aspect of their meal and I later went out of hotel to eat at an inappropriate time. Breakfast was tasty though.
Generally staff were lovely and all complaints dealt with promptly.
I understand hotel is old but cleaniness , service and food is the areas to tackle first.
The new GM has his work cut out and needs to give clear direction and guidance to achieve the above. Also Richardson hotels need to invest to update hotel or risk loosing custom and their place in this market.
You cannot sell the grand and 4 * when its no where near this.
I do hope these constructive comments help the whole team at the grand, and wish you success in turning this around.Goodluck

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank murts2014

Dear murts2014,

I am most disappointed to read your review following your stay at our hotel. We do take pride in both the facilities and services we offer to our guests, and I do regret you did not find this to be the case.

Having been made aware of your concerns, you did receive both a bottle of wine and a discount from your room bill, which was offered as per your demands to the team. I do feel it is quite unfair to state the 'everyone was upset in the dining area' is quite untrue, and your complaint was you felt your pork belly was tough, and your partners confit chicken was salty, both these comments on investigation did not appear correct to us, and your meals had barely had a mouthful eaten.

We do welcome all feedback, as without this, we are unable to continue our mission to improve and continuously develop the product and service within the hotel.

Reviewed 20 June 2016 via mobile

Me and my partner decided to go to Torquay and booked this hotel for the night as they had a special offer. We got cream tea on arrival, a three course dinner and breakfast included. The food and the service was absolutely brilliant! Could not fault it! The room was a bit dated but the location of this hotel really made it for us. Bathroom was lovely and it was overall very clean.. Just a little old fashioned but this tends to be the case with British seaside resorts. Would recommend this hotel as it was excellent value for money!

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank ashleigho711

Dear Ashleigh O,

I am delighted to read that you found the food & service to be brilliant! We do offer great value stays throughout the year and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2016

Spent last weekend here and we loved it. Staff are genuine friendly with a no problem attitude. The lounge with the views over Torquay are welcoming with plenty of seating area to enjoy the view. Room was clean and tidy with plenty of room and storage space. Parking is first come basis at the hotel but plenty of free parking near the railway for hotel guests. In short we enjoyed the stay so much we will be returning in a few weeks for another weekend break.

1  Thank Jim10SouthWales
Peter W, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2016

Dear Jim10SouthWales,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your weekend break with us.

Is it always great to receive such positive reviews on these sites, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2016

We recently spent a couple of days here with our daughter, son-in-law and two year old grandson. Both of our rooms were fine - with a good range of different teas on offer with the kettle. Breakfast was exactly as one would expect - although the hot buffet was a trifle cumbersome; as everything in the bain marie had a large lid which had to balanced somewhere, this resulted in a slowing down of self-service at busy times. The staff certainly go the extra mile when it comes to pleasantness, good manners and being helpful. This is not cheap and cheerful but a great location with lovely staff. Some brave souls even dared to use the outside pool - in June!

Room tip: Sea views are expensive - a view of the nearby park and station was good enough for me.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Roy D

Dear Roy D,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay at The Grand.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with is and found our team to always go the extra mile! This is a comment we regularly receive and I am delighted to read that you found this to be the case.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!